Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do guys think of updos?

Length
    26/26/40+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default What do guys think of updos?

I'm just curious to hear what guys opinions are of updos.

Like most other ladies on here I love the beautiful updos I see and I like to do the ones I can and look forward to being able to do more as my hair grows. But I'm just curious to know if any of the guys appreciate the different updos or if they all look the same to a guy, or if guys prefer hair down. So can I get any thoughts/opinions from guys or from ladies who have asked the guys in their lives?

Length
    APL/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: What do guys think of updos?

My husband is a big fan of ponytails, even though I know that's not really a popular one around here since they can still tangle so easily. As far as buns go, he's tolerant at worst and likes them at best, I think. I started experimenting with buns just recently, but he thinks as long as there's a variety they're cute, especially with some decoration to it like hair sticks.

Honestly though, I think guys are less interested in updos and more interested in seeing long hair down in some fashion (or at least mine seems to feel that way!)

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

My thought has always been, if my hair is a big deal to a guy, he's not a keeper.

That said, my DH doesn't appear to care one way or the other, up, down...though he complains when it's down that I get hair everywhere.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

My guy friend, when I asked if he likes my hair up or down better, said down. But he said it's because he like long hair and likes to see it down.

But this also could be because I stink of updo and don't know how to do them so he's never seen a pretty updo on me.

Length
    pixie/23/30

My husband doesn't really like when I wear my hair up. I don't do anything very fancy to it though, he likes a braid better than a bun. He usually compliments me when I wear it half up.

I have heard a guy friend say he likes hair up because he likes to see a girl's neck.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

My boyfriend notices the differences but usually doesn't comment. Every great, great now and then he'll make a comment along the lines of 'That looks cool' or 'That's interesting, how long did that one take to do?' but 99% of the time he says nothing at all. He prefers my hair down and likes when I let it go curly (which is rare, I'm a straightening addict) but even when I wear it that way I only get a few comments from him. My brother and (male) roommate are about the same. They almost never comment on my hair at all but the uber rare compliments I do get from them are when my hair is down.

My son on the other hand, (who's only 5) notices and comments on EVERYTHING. The last time I dyed my hair from a dark brown to slightly darker/richer brown he noticed immediately and asked me 'where I got that hair from'. In fact he was the only person, male or female, to notice the subtle difference. He's obsessed with my hair sticks (he actually wears them himself sometimes) and notices every new bun, even if it's just a slight variation from one I've worn before. He enjoys telling my what they look like, such as 'a ball' or 'a doughnut' or 'a twisty thing' or 'a flower' ect. Of course his attention to detail sometimes backfires - the other day when I was oiling my hair before a wash he made sure to let me know how ugly he thought my hair was. And if I blow dry my hair (which results in what I call my 'fro - slightly frizzy and HUGE) he immediately tells me to 'fix it' meaning smooth it down. But I guess it's still nice to have SOMEONE who notices my hair, lol.

Length
    13"/33"/33"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Girl View Post
    I'm just curious to hear what guys opinions are of updos.
    That's like asking what men think about pants.

And now I'm curious what DH thinks. He wanted me to grow my hair long and keeps arguing that I can do so much more with it when it is long, but I have no idea whether he likes it up, down or makes no difference...

ETA: I called DH to see what he thinks. At first he was guarded and suspicious. I'm not the kind of girl to ask his opinion and then be upset about it, but he's still afraid he might break some secret rule. He finally allowed as to how he likes variety in my hair, so whether it is up or down it's all good as long as it changes.
    Last edited by selderon; March 24th, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: ETA DH's opinion

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My husband likes my hair down. He compliments me when it's down sometimes. When it's up he says nothing except maybe, " I like your hair better down".

Length
    never/quite/enuff

I have to say that I prefer styles that show at least most of the length, but I admire the effort and skill of making a really good updo.

Type
    1b/F/ii

My husband also likes my hair better down because it frames my face, but I think it's also kind of primal.
    ~Lady Menrva of the Cat-Kept Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    Chin
    ~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBA~Waist~Tailbone~Classic