View Poll Results: Which hair dye is least damaging/best color?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revlon Colorsilk

4 8.89%
  • Garnier Nutrisse

7 15.56%
  • L'Oreal Superior Preference

6 13.33%
  • L'Oreal Feria

0 0%
  • John Frieda foam

0 0%
  • Nice N' Easy

7 15.56%
  • Perfect 10

0 0%
  • professional dye from Sally's or Ricky's (specify)

4 8.89%
  • other (specify)

17 37.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who dye your hair with drugstore color, which brand is healthiest?

Length
    22/26/33
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default For those who dye your hair with drugstore color, which brand is healthiest?

I KNOW demi colors are the healthiest, but I like to go permanent, and I don't like henna.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: POLL- For those who dye your hair with drugstore color, which brand is healthiest

I use permanent as my grays are pretty stubborn. Doesn't henna turn your hair red? I try to use a dark ash brown, which hardly does not exist anymore.

[Insert something clever] BrightEyes7's Avatar
    Length
    APL/BSL/Done
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: POLL- For those who dye your hair with drugstore color, which brand is healthiest

I like Nice n' Easy. I haven't dyed in months so I haven't tried their new foam formula. But the classic Nice n' Easy always gave me great color deposit and my hair always felt soft afterwards. I've tried most drugstore brands and that was the only one I liked.
    Straightened.

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Me and my sister vote for Colorsilk. She's done the blonds, I've done reds and auburns and things. I haven't tried nice and easy in a long time so I can't compare it to that brand. I ordered some new brand of dye that's suppose to be gentle but I haven't tested it. So far Colorsilk has been the most gentle one we've tried. Feria was by far the worst one. Garnier was harsher than Colorsilk but no where near as bad as Feria. I would bet the Nice and Easy would beat Garnier for being gentle easily even though I haven't tried it. For some reason, you don't get what you pay for with hair dye. The more it costs, the more glorious the colors, the more damage its gonna do! I've used Ion from Sally's and its more gentle than Garnier as well. However it it was always a bright red and it has faded FAST.
    Last edited by RitaCeleste; March 24th, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added something

Length
    pixie/23/30

Deposit only color from sally's is healthier, in my opinion. It still uses peroxide, but there is no lifting of color so it's not altering the hair as much.

I'm trying to quit the bottle, myself, but if I need to color again to correct the transition from dye to virgin, I will use no-lift.

Length
    chin/22.5"/31"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

On another forum I'm on they rave about Robert Craig haircolor. You can Google it and find his website. It's not drugstore color because you have to buy it online but it's about the same price.

I can attest to Feria being horrible on me and two other people I know...it seems to bring out orange in people's hair. Also Natural Instincts, if they still make it. I had to have a hairstylist fix my hair color after using that.

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

After all the store brands which were hell on my hair, I switched to Herbatint for a while and that was great.

I've stopped colouring my hair now. The diffrence between my virgin roots and the hair that had Herbatint applied to them is very small. The hair is still healthy, just has a bit of a different tint. But my ends that still have a bit of the store colour are damaged. I can't tell you which brand because I tried lots. Usually I got the one that was on sale.
    I love mixing up my oils!

Length
    Flip/Bust/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I always use Garnier Nutrisse or L'Oreal Feria simply because it's what my Mom's always recommended. I've grown to trust her suggestions, considering she's been dying/bleaching/whatever her roots platinum blonde for the last two years and her hair hasn't fallen out yet.

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

There are horror stories about trying get black Feria dye out of hair. My other sister lost a lot of hair over that one. I love the colors of those brands and that they don't fade fast and they stay looking nice. But honestly the most gentle and best stuff you can get is often the cheapest. If you are lifting out all the color, maybe there is an advantage to their bleaching system if you don't want buy and mix bleaching powder? But if you want a simple brown or auburn or honey blond you can't beat the cheapest brands for gentleness.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Professional dye from a hair stylist. Some of the stuff at Sally's is better than others, but most of the good stuff you need a license to acquire.

Box dye is horrible, here is why: http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/20...our-pants.html
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!