Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cocaloe creme

Chocolate domino anyone.. darl_in1's Avatar
    Length
    44"/SL/SL

Default Cocaloe creme

I have had great success with this adaptation of a coconut oil recipie....it works great on dry, curly hair. My DD's have very curly, dry hair and have always used copious amounts of gel which only dried it out more. Despite my constant encouragement and explanations of the benefits of natural haircare...they continued to use alcohol based products..until one day I 'accidentally' forgot to buy more gel and in desperation, my DD used the following concoction I whipped up for her. Obviously, they never listen to me, but when her friends saw her, they all asked what she'd used on her hair and said it looked great, so from then on - she has only used my 'Cocaloe creme' and her hair is healthier, much shinier and n ot dry any more. She used to get so many tangles they'd turn to dreadlocks and have to be cut out...but now her hair is totally manageable. I don't use it myself, but it's improved DD's hair so much that I thought I'd post it here.

Wow that was a long-winded way of getting to a recipe. Anyway here goes:

Cocaloe Leave-in creme

Equal parts of Coconut oil and Aloe vera gel
    A good helping of Avocado oil (to suit your preference)

I warm the coconut oil and whip up with the aloe vera gel, then add the avo oil and mix thoroughly. Whip regularly as the cocnut oil cools (I put it in the fridge and chill until it's of a buttery texture)

The aloe and avo oil keeps the cocnut oil as a 'buttery' texture once it cools and my girls keep a big tub in the bathroom and use it every morning to slick and moisturise their hair. It also keeps frizzies at bay and gives great curl definition.
    Last edited by darl_in1; June 12th, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird
    Blog

Length
    6"/Shldr/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Thanks for the recipe! Avocado oil ... where can that be found?

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Thanks for this recipe. I will probably make some!

Length
    15"/BSL/38"
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

I've never seen any of the products in the store. Do I have to order them special from the internet? Do tell! (Of course...I could read the whole thread; maybe you already have?)...I'll check it...
    AutumnLeaves

Length
    21-30/36/42
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    I've never seen any of the products in the store. Do I have to order them special from the internet? Do tell! (Of course...I could read the whole thread; maybe you already have?)...I'll check it...
    You may be able to find some of the oils at the grocery store if your store has an "asian foods" aisle. Or perhaps there's an asian grocery in town? In Heath Food Stores, I find the Coconut Oil in the 'pharmacy' section, which is what I call the aisles with the toothpaste and toiletries, even if there's not a pharmacy at the store. My local store has a whole shelf of essential oils and next to that shelf is a shelf of the kinds of oils people use in recipes like this: Avacado Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil . . . I'm hoping they also have Avocado. I'll look for it next time I go buy groceries.

Aloe Vera Gel or Juice ought to be available in the summer on the shelf with the sunscreens. Read the labels to look for one without alchohol. OR, you can again go to the health food store and find Aloe products in with the digestive aids (don't ask) or skin care. Or you can grow your own. Aloe Vera is a plant that many people grow in their houses. You can PM me for instructions on extracting the gel from the leaves. Maybe someday I'll do a photo-blog-post about it.

July 06 : 21-30 inches, layered . . . Dec 09: 36 inches, still fighting the taper.

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

This sounds really nice. Any idea what's the shelf life? It sounds like you're storing it at room temperature, correct?

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Okay I mixed the recipe but it now the mix is curdling. Is there anything I can to keep it from doing that? The consistency is like goopy apple sauce. Should I heat it up more?

Oh wait, now it is creamier. I guess I have to keep stirring it up.
    Last edited by shellblue1; June 12th, 2008 at 07:14 PM.

I like this idea. I've been mixing aloe with jojoba oil for my husband. He is losing hair (he's 52) and the hair he has on top is thin and fly-away. He had insisted on using hairspray to keep his hair in place even though I told him that it was drying his hair and making the breaking and fly-aways worse. Somehow he would never believe me.
    Then one day we ran out of hairspray and I 'forgot' to buy more. I whipped up some aloe with jojoba and told him to humor me and try it out. It took him a while to admit that his hair is better than ever. He even uses it on his face after shaving and on his scalp. He looks so much better. Skin is smoother and more moisturized and hair is getting stronger.
    But as always, it's like pulling teeth to get him to listen to me. After all these years you would think he would have figured out by now that I know a few things. *sigh*
    Thanks for sharing your recipe. I love using coconut oil, inside and out. Can't wait to try this recipe.

Length
    ??/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Oh sounds good - I really need to find soemthing that will work for plopping.

Where do you get your avocado oil from?

Whatever happened to my fighting, biting, lightning lioness ...
    I think I preferred it when your hair was in a mess ...
    They're not your real curls (XTC - 'Don't Lose Your Temper')

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've got all the ingredients to hand, so I'm definitrely trying this one!

Shrimp - for us UK LHC-ers, Tesco's sell avocado oil