Thread: A question about Color Oops and recoloring hair after.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A question about Color Oops and recoloring hair after.

I've been reading all day up on color oops... Some here and mostly google.

I have black hair now with some old henna. It's normal body quality henna so I'm not worried about chemicals and the henna reacting.

I know I'm going to have a lovely shade of orange after. I bought this color http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...RVZWZ75RFGSQQA at the store. My goal right now is to have brown hair, something more natural, more of a medium brown. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if this color will go over the orangy shade the color oops will give me and not look orange after. In the past the dye has taken darker after i've color oops so I figure a little lighter is better.

Also... I can't seem to find this anywhere on here... But people have reported that dish soap pulls a lot of dye out as well right? my last black dye was about 3 weeks ago and I'm almost thinking of trying that first if it really does work, again I'm trying to be more of a medium shade of brown.
    thanks!

Default Re: A question about Color Oops and recoloring hair after.

okay well I came home today and did two rounds of color oops. It worked will on the roots that have only a couple of rounds of dye on them. But from my eyes down it's still pretty dark.

Does anyone if colorfix is better then color oops? I did cover my head with plastic and put a towel over that to keep it warm but now I wonder if that could have been the problem.

any thoughts on getting the rest of the dark dye out? It's a gingery color because of the henna but it looks nice.... If only my ends matched a little more....

where I was;

This is pretty close to the true color right now.

Last edited by melrose1985; March 8th, 2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: pictures

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Hairstylist here. Colour Oops, and similar products, are designed to remove colour within 72 hours of application. This means that if you coloured your hair 3 weeks ago, and that was only the last time, you will not achieve an even, or even major colour removal. The reason for this is that the cortex of your hair has settled and the colour has taken.

The colour you've shown would not cover over the orange without the orange showing through, because it is too light, and doesn't have enough colour correcting ash shade in it.

At this stage, your only choice to remove the colour is to bleach your hair and then colour over it with a colour that will correct the orange, and achieve the shade you desire. I am not one who likes to promote professional treatments when they're not necessary, some over the counter products are as good or better than what we often use. However, in this case, I would see a stylist to achieve the result you're looking for.

Also, all the treatment necessary to get from black to the colour you desire is going to cause some damage, maybe more than you'd like. Would you consider something easier to achieve?

ETA: I just saw the pics you posted of the results it did lift quite a lot out, lucky you. Maybe you could just colour the roots a colour closer to the rest of your hair to achieve a nice result?
    Last edited by Calaelen; March 8th, 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaelen View Post
    Hairstylist here. Colour Oops, and similar products, are designed to remove colour within 72 hours of application. This means that if you coloured your hair 3 weeks ago, and that was only the last time, you will not achieve an even, or even major colour removal. The reason for this is that the cortex of your hair has settled and the colour has taken.

The colour you've shown would not cover over the orange without the orange showing through, because it is too light, and doesn't have enough colour correcting ash shade in it.

At this stage, your only choice to remove the colour is to bleach your hair and then colour over it with a colour that will correct the orange, and achieve the shade you desire. I am not one who likes to promote professional treatments when they're not necessary, some over the counter products are as good or better than what we often use. However, in this case, I would see a stylist to achieve the result you're looking for.

Also, all the treatment necessary to get from black to the colour you desire is going to cause some damage, maybe more than you'd like. Would you consider something easier to achieve?

ETA: I just saw the pics you posted of the results it did lift quite a lot out, lucky you. Maybe you could just colour the roots a colour closer to the rest of your hair to achieve a nice result?
    thank you. In the past I've been able to use the color oops and get pretty much all the dark dye out. I used it when I was useing henna and it worked great.

The ends this morning are a reddish brown and I think they look pretty (you can see the henna big time) I'm just worried about the top (roots) going to dark if I color it. But I would be okay with dying the roots.

Also this it only from the ears up right now. that's all that I wanted changed. I like my black under neath still.

What do you have in mind that would be easier to achieve this like you wrote above?

calaelen- I was thinking about it on my way to work this morning... I might just bleach the parts that need it to get it lighter to match the roots. But after that if I picked an ash color would that just make it a brown shade? I don't really like ash colors on me. I'm also thinking of just leaving the copper color around for now and letting my hair grow a bit so I can really see my natural color and then see about getting it corrected. Hey, then for once i would have the ginger hair i always wanted!

Also... back a couple of months ago I bleached (with a kit from wal-mart for doing high lights) the front/under part of my bangs. I did two 40 minutes sessions and I was able to get that hair to a yellow blonde. So I do think that with the less time I could probably get a shade to match the roots.

here is some update pictures from this morning... Sorry for the cell pictures.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...p?albumid=7411

The orange had darken up just a bit as I though it would.