Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does henna affect your scalp?

Length
    pixie/chin/30"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default How does henna affect your scalp?

So as I posted last week, I did my first henna and it made my scalp feel really dry. However, since then I've experienced a dramatic decrease in my dry scalp/psoriasis related discomfort. I henna'ed again today (I know, I know, I'm going to take a break now! ) but instead of vinegar and water, I just used light coconut milk in my mix with nothing else. I COed the henna out with SMT and my scalp feels... comfortable! For the first time in a verryyy long time! I've tried ACV, regular clarifying, sulfate free, cone free, less washing, more washing, scalp treatments... nothing worked but the henna itself seems to have made an impact.

Maybe it's the mechanical act of rinsing out the henna, kind of like exfoliating ? Does henna affect your scalp positively, negatively, or not at all ? I'm intrigued.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How does henna affect your scalp?

Coconut milk in the mix sounds lovely!

I sometimes get an itchy scalp from henna if I use it on dry hair and fail to rinse it out thoroughly.

But adding henna to wet hair and washing it out with shampoo helps, so if I do that I have a very healthy scalp and hair for days

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

I still hope that henna might persuade my scalp to produce less oil... I'm still testing though, going to henna gloss tonight.

Coconut milk sounds like a good way to moisturise your scalp
    ...procrastinating the new signature...

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

My scalp loves henna.....

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    30"/51.5"/53"
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I had quite a bit of itchyness before I started using Henna. It stopped when I started to henna, I am not sure though if it comes from not using chemical dye anymore or from the henna itself. Eiter Way I like henna and indigo.
    Physics is the ability to express the world in differential equations. (anonymous)
    Golden cut ( the longer one) and still growing.

Length
    pixie/chin/30"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Yeah, I just mixed up the henna with the light coconut milk (and a bit of cinnamon) because I figured full fat might be toooo much fat. It made the washing out of the henna easier and I didnt even need to shampoo! Also my hair feels amazing

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

My scalp LOVES henna.

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

If I don't shampoo after hennaing my scalp is really itchy because I can't seem to get all the powder out I'm surprised that your scalp likes the cinnamon, though, I always thought it was prone to irritating the skin.
    ...procrastinating the new signature...

Length
    24/24/28

Henna and coconut milk was my last henna experience as well. Made my hair feel AWESOME and rinsed out oh so easily. My scalp did itch for a day or so afterwards. My scalp usually only itches after using henna or shampooing two days in a row. I think it gets too dry.

Length
    16/28/36
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I have a fairly dry scalp to begin with, and it does feel a bit drying. However, I only use it maybe every three months, so there's plenty of time to baby my scalp. I also haven't noticed enough of a difference to cause me to stop using it. (My scalp is really very dry regardless of what I do anyway. Especially winters and dry air are problematic.)

The things I've added to my henna mix have been another thing entirely, however. It's impossible for me to use lemon, since it's far too drying. It also appears that it's less drying if you shorten the time you keep it on your head. For me, an hour is enough. I don't really get any more colour to stick to my hair after that, anyway.