Thread: Some henna questions from a newbie dyer

Length
    Pixie/SL/MBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Some henna questions from a newbie dyer

I used henna for the first time almost 7 weeks ago to give me something to do with my hair after a big "do I cut or do I grow" freak out. Decided to grow, which is why I'm on LHC now. I also did it myself, which was a big accomplishment. When I used red box dye in the past, I always had my mom do it.

I used Light Mountain in red, and although it's faded quite a bit, the color is gorgeous. I'm almost 4 months into growing out a pixie, so I didn't use all of my henna the first time and I froze it.

How should I thaw it? My first batch was a little too thick, I think, so how can I thin it out this time around? Someone on another thread commented that if I like the color on my ends, I shouldn't do the ends but I'm quite faded at this point, I think. Plus my hair is too short to really avoid the ends. So, should I make a gloss for the somewhat ends? Just do my whole head again? Any advice is appreciated.

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Some henna questions from a newbie dyer

Mine tends to kind of dull out after a while, and just repeatedly doing my whole head hasn't really made it that much darker. It potentially could, so if you absolutely don't want to be any darker, you might want to do a gloss. But if you don't mind a bit deeper shade, I'd say just do your whole head.

As for thinning, I always let it thaw on the counter, and then right before I use it, I very slowly add some warm water to it. Thins it out a little, and warms it up just a touch. Just be sure to add it slowly so you don't make it too liquidy.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.

Length
    Pixie/SL/MBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Some henna questions from a newbie dyer

Thanks for the tips, Katia_k. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I do my roots.