Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of my green hair, and if filter is contributing instead of helping?

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Unhappy How to get rid of my green hair, and if filter is contributing instead of helping?

Hello!

Great to see this forum up and running again!

My hair has such a green tinge lately. It seems (ironically) that since I have put my shower filter on, my hair has gone even greener than without it! Is this even possible?

I have not colored my hair since....end of September 2007 (and that's when I started with the filter), and when I had it colored it was highlights of platinum blonde (on my naturally dirty blonde).

1) What can I do to get rid of the green? (baking soda? ACV?)

2) Should I just take OFF the shower filter? Could it be doing the opposite of what I want it to be doing?

Thanks!
    ~Pele~
    1a, F, i/ii - stopped dye April 2013 and going back to natural color

Random Thought Provoker nicolezoie's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/floor/Dunno
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

It sounds like you may have chlorinated hair? Usually when blond hair is exposed to chlorine it takes on a greenish hue. The longer the exposure, the greener the hair.

When I was a swimmer, we used to combat this by using Ultra Swim shapoo and conditioners, OR doing an aspirin shampoo. Seeing as I'm not blond I never tried the aspirin thing, but I can vouch for the Ultra Swim.

It *could* be related to your filter, or it could be related to your house's water.
    2a/b, iii (just over 4") and f/m.
    Pixie to ... is it floor now?? I guess so! 20 total years.
    Seen "Tangled"? That's my hair. . I'm even in the Special Thanks section of the credits!

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

My guess is that the problem is either chlorine or copper in your water. Chlorine probably only if you swim - tap water intended for drinking has a lower concentration.

An "after swim" shampoo would take care of green from chlorine, and a chelating shampoo or treatment would help remove copper.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

its copper in the water, (even in swimming) chlorine bleaches, copper turns things green, copper is in swimming pool water from the filtration.

Lemon juice gets rid of it, but it can be VERY drying. I used to sport bleach blonde kermit the frog green hair (we're talking like mint green), and lemon was teh only thing that worked. I never tried citric acid rinses though, that might work.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) removed chlorine from water. Citric acid acts as a chelator and removes metal ions, such as copper.

You could try washing your hair with miracle water (this is not my idea or recipe, but I can't remember the poster's name, off the top of my head). I'm not sure if it's been reposted yet, but I believe it's 1/4 teaspoon citric acid, and 1/8th (maybe less) teaspoon ascorbic acid, in 1 gallon of water. The original poster of the idea used just this mix to wash her hair (with shampoo bars) and had great success with it.
    I've never had the energy to try miracle water (though I'm sure it's nice) so I do a more concentrated citric acid rinse. I'm not nearly as blonde as you, but basically, it's about 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid per two cups of water (I tend to use a lot more than 2 cups, though). I also add the tiniest dab of ascorbic acid (as small as I can get it, it's a fine powder), and use that to rinse. It makes my hair very slippery feeling, and it does help prevent mineral buildup in hair, in my opinion.

You can get both of these at health food stores I think-- look for their bulk powders. I got mine online-- I have 8 ounces of citric acid and 2 ounces of ascorbic acid, and expect these quantities to last at least 10 years, at a minimum. You don't use much.

I'm not sure if or why your filter would make your hair greener-- what kind of filter is it (like, how does it filter)?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Apparently ketchup works. There's something in the tomatoes that ionises the copper or something like that (I haven't taken chem in about two years, so my knowledge is a bit dodgy, but my point is that it's not the red colour, but the actual tomatoes).
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chloeishere View Post
    Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) removed chlorine from water. Citric acid acts as a chelator and removes metal ions, such as copper.

You could try washing your hair with miracle water (this is not my idea or recipe, but I can't remember the poster's name, off the top of my head). I'm not sure if it's been reposted yet, but I believe it's 1/4 teaspoon citric acid, and 1/8th (maybe less) teaspoon ascorbic acid, in 1 gallon of water. The original poster of the idea used just this mix to wash her hair (with shampoo bars) and had great success with it.
    I've never had the energy to try miracle water (though I'm sure it's nice) so I do a more concentrated citric acid rinse. I'm not nearly as blonde as you, but basically, it's about 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid per two cups of water (I tend to use a lot more than 2 cups, though). I also add the tiniest dab of ascorbic acid (as small as I can get it, it's a fine powder), and use that to rinse. It makes my hair very slippery feeling, and it does help prevent mineral buildup in hair, in my opinion.

You can get both of these at health food stores I think-- look for their bulk powders. I got mine online-- I have 8 ounces of citric acid and 2 ounces of ascorbic acid, and expect these quantities to last at least 10 years, at a minimum. You don't use much.

I'm not sure if or why your filter would make your hair greener-- what kind of filter is it (like, how does it filter)?
    I was just about to recommend this. It's how justgreen keeps her hair from turning green, among others.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    33.8/Hip/thigh
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I second the ketchup!!!!!
    Good luck!
    (if you are using cassia-it can give blond hair a greenish tone)
    Lady Geshtai of the Blessed Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    Apparently ketchup works. There's something in the tomatoes that ionises the copper or something like that (I haven't taken chem in about two years, so my knowledge is a bit dodgy, but my point is that it's not the red colour, but the actual tomatoes).
    this works great, a hairdresser told me this years ago, when my daughters hair turned green. sounds crazy and I dont know the chemistry behind it but yep a winner!!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Ketchup is the advice I always here. And if you get hungry you can dunk your fries in it
    Pegs