Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103

Thread: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

  1. #1
    and your little dog too! CarpeDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,310
    Length
    SL/HIP/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

    Default Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    About two years ago, I went to a new salon for a cut and the stylist told me my scalp hair was thinning. Well inside I sort of freaked out when he told me this. He then went on to tell me that I really needed layers and I should keep it shorter, shoulder length to be specific. Since then I have been a little worried that my hair cleavage might be too much. However there were a couple of considerations I have thought about since then. First, this was the only time I had seen this stylist and I'm not quite sure he understood that my hair wasn't necessarily thinning, it was just thin in the frontal scalp area and always has been, so how could he say it was thinning if it had always been this way and he had never seen me before? Second, my mom has the same hair and her hair is also thin in the front, so I'm pretty sure it is genetically linked and there isn't much I can do about it. Still I have to wonder how much hair cleavage is considered ok? Is there a point where one should cut shorter, and not grow longer if you don't have a lot of hair in the front? Does longer hair somehow make it worse, or should I just not be worried about it?
    "This above all: to thine own self be true" ~ Shakespeare

  2. #2
    Member Madora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern California - SF Bay Area
    Age
    67
    Posts
    5,955
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    as long as you're happy with the way your hair looks, then disregard what the guy said.

    The only time I would be worried about thinning hair was if my hairline was receding, or I had a bad case of traction alopecia.

  3. #3
    and your little dog too! CarpeDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,310
    Length
    SL/HIP/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    as long as you're happy with the way your hair looks, then disregard what the guy said.

    The only time I would be worried about thinning hair was if my hairline was receding, or I had a bad case of traction alopecia.
    Thanks Madora, I like that answer I think I was reasonably ok with my hair before the ominous "your hair is thinning" happened. I mean I knew it was thin, but I hadn't really given it much thought till then.
    "This above all: to thine own self be true" ~ Shakespeare

  4. #4
    Member Fiordiligi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Londinium
    Age
    43
    Posts
    252
    Length
    15/28/29
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    I've had the same kind of comments in the past, and the same kind of worries that resulted. I think it's genetic in my case too, because my sister has the same problems, thin at the front and pronounced scalp cleavage due to a weird parting or double crown sort of thing. However in my case people who made these comments were usually hairdressers who were seeing my hair for the first time, and I think they were just voicing those first impressions. But I've come to realise what's going on for myself, and to tell the truth that's part of the reason I'm growing my hair. I can control the cleavage so much better when it's long; when I had a bob, my hair would rearrange itself all the time as it's fine and flyaway at the front, and I would often worry about my scalp showing. With longer hair, mostly worn up I must admit, I feel I have much more control over it, and I also know which way to smooth it over even without having to look in a mirror, which is very reassuring.
    shoulder ~ apl ~ bsl ~ waist ~ ???
    Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea! How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea! Revd Sydney Smith

  5. #5
    Long Hair Dreams vanillabones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New England
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,450
    Length
    Ear/MBL/BCL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    Pft. I wouldn't listen to that. I would've been so offended! All the females in my family have very thin hair. Sounds like your stylist has never worked with a fine thinnie before ~_~ All the stylists I've had are always very surprised how thin and fine my hair is but I would've given them my two cents if they said I was thin-ING

    ___1b / F / i/ii 27" ... Forever Growing __
    Chin SHL APL BSL+ Waist Hip BCL

  6. #6
    and your little dog too! CarpeDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,310
    Length
    SL/HIP/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiordiligi View Post
    I've had the same kind of comments in the past, and the same kind of worries that resulted. I think it's genetic in my case too, because my sister has the same problems, thin at the front and pronounced scalp cleavage due to a weird parting or double crown sort of thing. However in my case people who made these comments were usually hairdressers who were seeing my hair for the first time, and I think they were just voicing those first impressions. But I've come to realise what's going on for myself, and to tell the truth that's part of the reason I'm growing my hair. I can control the cleavage so much better when it's long; when I had a bob, my hair would rearrange itself all the time as it's fine and flyaway at the front, and I would often worry about my scalp showing. With longer hair, mostly worn up I must admit, I feel I have much more control over it, and I also know which way to smooth it over even without having to look in a mirror, which is very reassuring.
    That is pretty interesting that you can control the hair cleavage more when it is long. In my case, I feel that the longer it gets the more pronounced the thinning, but this could all be in my head. I've heard it so many times from people, the longer your hair the more it thins and the heavier the hairs are which puts more pressure on the roots. Of course I don't really know if this is true at all, but I do wonder??
    "This above all: to thine own self be true" ~ Shakespeare

  7. #7
    and your little dog too! CarpeDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,310
    Length
    SL/HIP/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by vanillabones View Post
    Pft. I wouldn't listen to that. I would've been so offended! All the females in my family have very thin hair. Sounds like your stylist has never worked with a fine thinnie before ~_~ All the stylists I've had are always very surprised how thin and fine my hair is but I would've given them my two cents if they said I was thin-ING
    I think I was a bit in shock actually which always leaves me speechless and then I have nothing to say LOL. I think most stylists probably think what he said, he was just brave enough to say it. I usually get this feeling when I sit down in the chair that stylists don't really like to work with my hair because it isn't thick and voluminous, but us thinnies need love too!
    "This above all: to thine own self be true" ~ Shakespeare

  8. #8
    Member Fufu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,022
    Length
    -/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    I wouldn't just listen to one hairstylist. Maybe he meant well from his opinion, but I believe you will understand your hair far better than his.

    Sometimes I felt that "some" hairstylists, not referring to all, they encourage people to cut their hair short so, people will start coming back to them to trim their hair to maintain the shape frequently.
    no trims for 2013

  9. #9
    and your little dog too! CarpeDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,310
    Length
    SL/HIP/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fufu View Post
    I wouldn't just listen to one hairstylist. Maybe he meant well from his opinion, but I believe you will understand your hair far better than his.

    Sometimes I felt that "some" hairstylists, not referring to all, they encourage people to cut their hair short so, people will start coming back to them to trim their hair to maintain the shape frequently.
    Good point!
    "This above all: to thine own self be true" ~ Shakespeare

  10. #10
    Member AgnesONutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    516
    Length
    27/32/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDM View Post
    That is pretty interesting that you can control the hair cleavage more when it is long. In my case, I feel that the longer it gets the more pronounced the thinning, but this could all be in my head. I've heard it so many times from people, the longer your hair the more it thins and the heavier the hairs are which puts more pressure on the roots. Of course I don't really know if this is true at all, but I do wonder??
    Well...let's look at this argument logically, shall we?

    How much does one strand weigh? My kitchen scale will not register it. And when I hold my tailbone length hair in my hand, I would say it weighs no more than a kilo if even that much (again, hard to weigh it). We'll say a kilo. This kilo is distributed evenly across how many thousand strands, each anchored to your scalp? I think we can safely assume that what pressure there is on the roots is really so small that we can ignore it.

    As for you feeling your hair grows thinner when it grows longer, this is not entirely true. When hair grows, it grows at different speeds. New hair grows in, old hair sheds. Most of the hair that sheds will be long strands, of the very reason that they are older. This is why when we braid our hair the thickest part is close to the scalp, and then it thins as we go. There's simply not as many strands of the longest sort as there is of the short. This does not mean your hair thins as it grows longer. The amount of hair strands will still be the same, even if the illusion will be of thinner hair because your hemline is thinner, due to not all strands having grown that long (yet).

    So, don't worry about having long hair if you want it. It will not make a difference in the actual thickness of your hair (unless you catch it under things all the time).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •