Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Clarify and remove the yellow

My internet service provider is running a feature about great hair. One of the tips is to dissolve 5 aspirin in a quart of water and use it as a rinse. It safely removes buildup AND takes the yellow out of white hair. Has anybody here tried that?

Another tip - go three months and more between trims if you are growing your hair out. Too much time spent in the stylist's chair equals less length. (but we all knew that one)

ETA: I nearly forgot! Another tip that might help many here: If you have color-treated hair, avoid hot oil treatments. Salons use hot oil treatments to pull color from unsatisfactory dye jobs.
    Last edited by spidermom; June 10th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.

Length
    neck/APL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

That's neat. I had a friend in high school who had white blonde hair. It was like angel hair, thick and wavy and down to her waist. Anyway, she used to use Dawn dish detergent to get rid of the yellow cast it would develop. I think she only did this every few months. I imagine it would be rough on the hair.

I wonder if the aspirin rinse is gentler?

Length
    13/fgrtp/46
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I have heard that an aspirin rinse will remove a green tint from blond hair affected by chlorine.

However, I think salicylic acid dissolves keratin, which is the protein hair is made of. That's why aspirin masks work for exfoliation for skin.

I guess if my hair was green I might try it. Otherwise, it seems like too much potential for damage.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"--Dumbledore

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

hmmm.. I usually suffer from too much protein in my hair I wonder if the aspirin rinse would work.

I am a big chicken when it comes to trying untried methods because I have finally minimized the damage on my hair with TLC and I'd hate to bring it right back.

Anyone brave enough and adventurous enough out there??

I would be interested in learning more about his as well. I have lots of white/silver hairs that I'm wanting to come out and express themselves. However old semi-permanent hair color (which is more permanent than one would hope) and recent cassia treatments have left my hair very golden in color. While I will admit the color is lovely, I prefer my natural silver hairs to shine forth.
    But of course damage is a concern for me as well. I'll watch this thread with interest and I'll be certain to post results should my research embolden me to try this out.

Length
    neck/APL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Wimsey, I thought of the people that use aspirin masks to exfoliate too! Knowing that aspirin can exfoliate skin would make me a little leery about putting it in my hair. But 5 aspirins to a quart of water used as a rinse might be different. Don't the aspirin masks stay on the skin for some time?

It would be interesting to hear from someone brave enough to try it out.

Length
    Neck/Class/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'd like to know if it works also.
    I've used the usual (Aloe Rid,
    silver shampoo) to remove yellowing
    and they work, but I wonder if the aspirin
    works better.

I only have baby aspirin right now so I can't
    do it.

Are you supposed to rinse it out or let it dry?

I am gonna have to check out the Vo5 hot oil treatments to see if maybe it would pull some of the dark dye out of my hair.

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Some time (possibly 2 years) ago I tried a C-COW-C with cayenne pepper and aspirin.

My COW mixture contained a teaspoon of cayenne and about 6-8 aspirins, in addition to heavily diluted shampoo and conditioner - about 250ml in all. I used up that bottle over a period of couple of months (the purpose was to increase growth) just on my scalp, rinsing it through the length.

I noticed no effect on the condition or colour of my hair (having said that, cayenne is red so may have counteracted any aspirin effects).

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I have used asprin dissolved in water on my hair to get buildup out and it worked fine with no noticeable damage. I did not have any silver hair at the time, but it did take some of the green out of my blond.