Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frizz from plaits?

Length
    22/24/35
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Frizz from plaits?

Hi everyone, so I'm sure the title is very self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyway.

Basically, when I put my hair in plaits (braids) overnight, or indeed anytime, whenever I take them out the length that has been braided always feels coarse and rough and looks frizzy Even if I use oil it sometimes does the same thing, It's very frustrating

Does anyone have any advice?

Thankyou in advance!

Length
    22/24/35
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Frizz from plaits?

Anyone? Or is my problem easily solved by providing my hair with more moisture? :/

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Before I take out my sleep braid I rub 1 spritz of Kimberlily's defrizz spray between my palms and squeeze it down the length of my braid, using whatever's left on my hands on the scalp frizzies. (I also gently comb just the braid tassel before I take it out, which helps for me, since the ends always seem to tangle overnight somehow.) That really seems to minimise the frizz a bit.

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I have the same problem, but I noticed it is worse after I oil, so I would not recommend oiling it more (but I am not an expert). Maybe bun waves will work better for you?Or those cocoon curls that was posted a while ago.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    ??/Hip/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I'm not sure why it would feel coarse or rough...but regarding the frizz, do you brush your hair out after taking out the braids? If you do, that's probably why your hair becomes frizzy. It's usually best to just fingercomb after unbraiding.

You're just basically texturizing the hair with the braid pattern. Try it in a high bun with twisted hair to keep it tame during sleep.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Your hair should not feel coarse or rough after braiding. I think the culprit might be what you're using on your hair.

Also, it is better for your ends if you don't braid all the way down.

Are you braiding too tightly?

Lastly, you might try braiding with a scarf and see if that lessens your coarseness/rough problems.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I spritz my hair with rose water after I take it out of a braid. This reduces frizz and adds some moisture.

Kimberlily's Defrizzing Spray is a disaster on my hair. I can't use glycerin or aloe vera gel without my hair drying out and split ends appearing within a few days. I think that spray is best used in areas with humidity.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Some of the frizz can also be caused simply by your hair's natural layers. Even blunt cuts have layers due to the cycle of hair growth, where individual follicles have their own cycle of growth, shedding, and regrowth. Over time, when the braids move against something, naturally friction happens. Some of that friction can move around hair that is too short to reach the end of your braid, and cause it to pop out and greet the world. I have curly hair, so my hair loves doing that. I get a good case of Chia Braid if I let my braid hang down for a length of time, sleep included.

Because you have hair in various stages of growth, the shorter pieces simply aren't long enough to reach where you've tied it off, so the only thing securing them in the braid was going along with the surrounding hair. If it's loosened just a bit, it may dislodge from the last fold it was in and wave around. Multiply that by a bunch of other hairs in the same situation and you've got yourself "frizz".

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Heck I hate braids sometimes for this but I use Inecto leave in conditioner spray before removing my braids and it helps.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip