Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming strawberry blonde with henna

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Default Becoming strawberry blonde with henna

Hi

My current hair color is dark blond and I am looking to turn strawberry blonde with a mix of henna and cassia. What would be the best henna and recipe to achieve this color? (see my natural hair color on my avatar, I had used blonde henna on this picture)

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Becoming strawberry blonde with henna

I like Rainbow brand henna in Persian Strawberry. That is what I've been using on my hair for 20+ years now... It's easy-peasy because it's already ready already and I don't have to worry about mixing anything up and changing the color up.

Hopefully you'll get a couple of responses to choose from!
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I get my henna and cassia from Starwest Botanicals. I'm a strawberry blonde to begin with, but needed something to cover all my numerous grays. A mix of 80% cassia and 20% henna works for me.

I recommend doing several strand tests (start saving your shed hairs!) to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into -- you can always add more henna, but you can't subtract it very easily!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    pixie/meh/Meh
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I just ordered from them a couple of weeks ago (waiting on the package to come in) - can't beat their low prices - but it helped to see a few of the members on here who get great results!

I also used an 80% cassia 20% henna ratio with my leftovers to match my roots up with my lightened henna length - its a bit lighter, less intensely orange than the length - but I like it. Blends well, and as it grows, and I keep up with the blend it'll be more on the strawberry side in the sun and less on the napalm orange side when outdoors :-D lol - maybe. We'll see - each batch differs so maybe the next batch the henna will stain a bit more. :-) But that's what strand testing is for :-)

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Thanks very much for all these answers, I love your hair colors!
    Ok so the best thing is strand testings, so I'll start collecting hair from my brushes :-)

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I second what the others said about a henna and cassia mix. Be very light on the henna! And strand test!!
    Also remember that you can never go lighter with henna and cassia - your own natural hair color will be the base of the results you get.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/27/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I agree with what some other people have said, start with very little henna, and mostly cassia. You can always add more henna, but if it's too much it may be too orange for you. I started with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of henna and a few teaspoons of cassia mixed with chamomile tea and mixed into conditioner for the gloss. I did not wait for dye release of the henna and applied after it sat for about 20 mins. in the conditioner, letting it sit on my hair for maybe an hour and a half. I got the strawberry I was wanting, and added more the next time I did it. I have Yemeni henna from HennaSooq.

Good luck, and start with small amounts!

Type
    2c/M/C/iii

You might try a henna gloss. That's what I use and I get a very nice color. I have a recipe in my blog, or you can PM me.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Hi. I wanted to stop coloring my hair, because all of the chemical colors have destructing influence to my hair. I must trim my hair because after coloring and I want to have long hair. I like henna but I am some between hot and cold colour type and I want to use henna. If I have used henna five years ago I had beautiful hair. Henna helps my seborhoic scalp. Please can somebody help me find some recipe to henna strawberry blonde? My natural colour is something between dark ash blonde and light brown, it is classic indeterminable colour od czech girls. Thank you

Length
    20/21/27
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

I'd love to resurrect this thread and get more info and examples of success achieving strawberry blonde using henna, if there are any

My internet research as been pretty unfruitful - it appears most people do multiple dye sessions and/or stronger henna mixes, and end up with darker or brighter shades of red. Maybe it's because strawberry blonde doesn't provide enough contrast to the skin and washes people out?

I recently ordered a sample kit of Rusalki Strawberry Blonde from Nightblooming and can't wait to run some experiments with it! (I also ordered the Genasi kit, which is likely where I will end up eventually, but I'm going to try to ease into red hair).