Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hairdye...

Default Hairdye...

Hi...

I am just asking...can hairdye prevent hair growth? x.x or even slow it down..?

Thanks..

Length
    66cm/78cm/100
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i

Default Re: Hairdye...

Hair dye causes damage to your hair, which results in breakage. Hair will grow from roots but also break at ends so you won't have any increase in length.

Length
    0"/8"/26"

Yes if you're just using commercial dyes with ammonia and peroxide, and a plethora of other chemicals, they're very drying and coat the hair! Not all dyes are damaging though! just get plant based dyes with no chemmy's!

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Ask anyone with visible roots if their hair still grows after dying. It absolutely still grows, and should do at the same rate, but you may find it damages your length, changing how the texture feels and causing some splits at the end meaning you need more frequent trims.

It's highly pssible that though your hair will still physically grow, the speed you appear to gain length will be reduced by trimming more.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Along with what everyone has already said, the chemicals in commercial hair dyes can also cause damage to your scalp resulting in slower growth and hair loss. It's not always the case, but can happen.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    20"/36"/44"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

When I dyed my hair (I have tried many brands) I had a fairly slow growth rate, but still within the normal.
    Now when I haven't dyed (my scalp) for over a year, I have started to see quite a difference in growth. I have a very sensitive, but healthy scalp, so it makes a big difference for me. Before my hair grew about 0,50/0,75 cm per month, now it grows over 1 cm! You can always take a look in my album for evidence!
    Last edited by growing2shine; February 18th, 2011 at 09:16 AM.

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I have never had trouble with my hair growing at it's normal rate when it is chemically dyed. My hair grows at the same rate, whether it is dyed or not.

Yes, chemical dye can be harmful to hair if it is used improperly and you don't take good care of your hair. Over processing your length can dry it out, damage it and lead to breakage that can make it seem as if your hair has slowed down or stopped growing. But, it is not evil. Doing an all over application, then doing roots only touch ups and pampering your hair can help you to have beautiful, strong, soft and shiny, healthy looking coloured hair.

Different people will have different experiences, of course. But to make blanket statements about any hair product isn't fair or accurate.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shermie Girl View Post
    I have never had trouble with my hair growing at it's normal rate when it is chemically dyed. My hair grows at the same rate, whether it is dyed or not.

Yes, chemical dye can be harmful to hair if it is used improperly and you don't take good care of your hair. Over processing your length can dry it out, damage it and lead to breakage that can make it seem as if your hair has slowed down or stopped growing. But, it is not evil. Doing an all over application, then doing roots only touch ups and pampering your hair can help you to have beautiful, strong, soft and shiny, healthy looking coloured hair.

Different people will have different experiences, of course. But to make blanket statements about any hair product isn't fair or accurate.
    I couldn't have said it better, hair dye gets such a bad name sometimes because I feel like all types of dyes and bad incidents are lumped together. As for your question though mysro, I haven't had any kind of issue where my hair has stopped growing or decreased. I usually do a root touch up every month and my hair is currently at classic length, the longest it's ever been.

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Length
    pixie/TBL!/clsc!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I completely agree with this statement. Though I highly doubt dyeing or even bleaching your hair could cause it to stop growing, it could make it appear to grow less by causing damage and breakage.

That being said, I am an avid dyer and always will be. I have decided to ditch the bleach that I have been doing for over a year (and still receiving above average growth), in favor of 'natural' dyes like henna and vegetable-based dyes. I do this not because I think I'm going to get a miraculously faster growth rate, but because I acknowledge that bleaching my hair does damage it, at least a little, and I would like my hair to be softer and smoother. : )
    Chin // Shoulder // Apl // Bsl // Waist // Hip // TBL!! 34" (now)! // Classic (end goal)
    ~Lady Lovecraft of the Red Crayon Aristocracy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Yes ! I agree completely. I dye my hair and I bleach in highlights and I do it fairly often. My hair is healthy and I get atleast an inch of growth per month.