Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Newcomer Needs Advice

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i

Default A Newcomer Needs Advice

Hello
    I joined the LHC several months ago after stumbling upon it while searching how to better care for my hair.
    Originally I just wanted to find a solution to get rid of my split ends; however, after browsing the site for a while I realized that I would do more than that!
    This site is very inspiring, albeit, to a newcomer like me, a little overwhelming.
    I need some advice, please! My goal, since I'm not starting out with "virgin" hair, is to eventually trim and grow until my hair is healthy.
    I know this isn't the best method, but I'm truly not willing to crop my hair short.
    I've researched a little on my own, but can you please take a look at what I'm doing now and throw me some pointers?
    Thank you!

I wash my hair with cold water only
    I'm not to keen on what shampoo to use, but because I sometimes straighten my hair I use CHI poo/cond and silk infusion before straightening.
    I let it air-dry completely before combing (i've recently ordered a wooden comb to replace my plastic wide-tooth comb, and also i've ordered a 100% boar bristle brush)
    I bought a cheap pair of Covergirl shears, just to have so I could trim my own hair and S&D.

Other than this I have no idea what I should or shouldn't be doing. I'm open to suggestions and I hope one day to have a solid routine to rely on

Thanks!

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Default Re: A Newcomer Needs Advice

Oh my hair is a nightmare short, sticking up, won't behave. I recommend a good conditioner and maybe some oil like coconut oil. Everyone has different favorite hair oils but as it gets longer and farther away from the scalp, I hear oils help. My hair is colored and then colored some more. I'm three or four inches away from waist length. I'm not cutting it and I'm not gonna go all natural either. I'd rather just trim it at the waist and keep coloring it. Other than keeping it conditioned (maybe even oiling it at least an hour before as a prewash, deep conditioning it), giving it protein when it needs it, can't think of anything myself. You can grow hair that isn't all natural too. It may not make it to being the longest hair ever but it can still grow long.

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Welcome to LHC! I recommend looking at this article to get a feel for the site and some beginning changes you should make.

I do want to help you with your routine, but ultimately, you need to decide what you want with your hair. The articles section has many great reads and should give you an of what you want to do with your hair.

My advice would to try giving up heat styling if you want to have healthy hair.

Looking at other folks' routine also helped me make decisions about my hair. Check out this thread and investigate anything that interests you. Feel free to ask questions.

And as for those S&D scissors, make sure that they're sharp so they don't cause more damage.

Again, welcome to LHC!
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    1"/Chin/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Welcome!

It sounds like you're trying to minimize damage and treat your hair well. Awesome. I second the suggestion to read the articles. They're the best way to get through all the info available.

I'd say your next steps might be to look into an occasional deep conditioning treatment--there are lots available, and you can make your own. I haven't tried the SMT--SnowyMoon's Treatment--myself, but lots of people swear by it. And think about adding oil to your regimen. You can start with whatever's in your kitchen, although it seems olive, coconut, and jojoba are the most popular.

You'll probably try several different things before you figure out what works for you. I'm still experimenting, myself. That's half the fun, I think.

Length
    1"/Chin/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Oh, I also meant to suggest saving straightening for special occasions. I hate to tell people to absolutely not do something. But the less you do the happier your hair will be.

Length
    ???/Hip?/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I'm still very new here myself, but I second what someone else said: read the articles section, it is really useful.

What I found helped A LOT when I started looking after my hair was coconut oil. I use it both as a deep overnight treatment once a week and for very lightly oiling my length and ends every day. It improved the condition of my hair and made it silky smooth and stronger. If you do decide to use coconut oil, just one word of advice: for light oilings, when you're going to go to work and stuff with oil on your hair, it's very easy to over-oil and LESS IS MORE!

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The best advice I can think of for a newbie is to TAKE IT SLOW! It is so easy to see so many new things and to want to try them all but if you do too many things at once it is hard to see exactly what is helping, hurting, or not doing anything at all.

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Another helpful link, which is stickied, but you might not have seen it : Useful threads

And, because chances are a lot of questions you may have are already answered somewhere on this site, the handy dandy optimising the search function thread
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I still heat style my hair once in a while and have managed to significantly improve the condition of it and stay on top of split ends. So it isn't mutually exclusive.

Apple cider vinegar rinses, with vinegar I've infused with various herbs, has helped tremendously.
    Micro trims and S&D.
    OILING! My hair loves coconut oil.
    Protective product when you do heat style. And only on dry hair, and not relentlessly going over the same pieces.
    Damp bunning when I don't need perfect hair.

Length
    21"/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Coconut oil is great for preventing split ends! Just be very careful with your hair, don't use heat tools, don't comb it wet, etc. And once an end splits, cut it off as soon as possible to prevent the split from growing up the hair shaft. Welcome to LHC!