Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hook 'em while they're young.... The Enablinator Strikes!

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Hook 'em while they're young.... The Enablinator Strikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyvsi View Post
    I read this story and immediately searched some hair stick tutorials on YouTube. And that's it. Okay, I'm a super shortie, but as soon as my hair is long enough to do two mini buns with hair sticks, I'm jumping on the bandwagon, doggone! And my six month old daughter is in for it...just wait...
    I am sure your daughter will love your hairsticks - to chew on and generally play with. I used to work in a day care center with toddlers, and there was one little boy who would snatch my hairsticks out of my hair given the tiniest chance. Other children also liked my hairtoys, but not quite to that degree.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    29/36/33
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    I think it most closely resembles a Nautilus? It's the one that I do without thinking about it... I don't even know if I can describe it -- I wrap my hair around my hand once, kind of flip my wrist/twist my hand around, flatten the wrapped part down on my head, and insert the stick just inside one wrapped part, down [meaning towards my skull, not towards my feet] and behind the twisted part, and back up just inside the other side of the wrapped part. Does that make any sense? Does that sound like a Nautilus? I really need to learn all the different names one day -- I've been here over a year after all!
    I know exactly what you are talking about. The result looks more or less like a Nautilus or LWB but the technique is a bit different. In the German-speaking long-hair scene it is known as "Wickeldutt" and I have long been wondering if there is an English term for it. Here is a German video that shows how it is done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9tUz...layer_embedded

**mental note to self: deposit a spare hairstick in handbag, just in case**

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Blandine View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about. The result looks more or less like a Nautilus or LWB but the technique is a bit different. In the German-speaking long-hair scene it is known as "Wickeldutt" and I have long been wondering if there is an English term for it. Here is a German video that shows how it is done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9tUz...layer_embedded

**mental note to self: deposit a spare hairstick in handbag, just in case**
    Great job, Blandine! That is extremely close to how I do it!

When I wrap it around my hand, I bring it back down on the same side (right), because my hair is so poofy that trying to wrap it over my left wrist means I have a heck of a time trying to grab hold of it all to do the little wrapping-around part. In order to have the "hold" area (because I didn't wrap it around the other way), I do a kind of "turn/twist" thing counter-clockwise with my left hand, so that the base of the loop gets a twist in it. But after that it's the same method as the video you posted -- wrap the tail around and tuck it under, spread the loop to the outsides, and insert stick.

It's my go-to bun, because I can do it in under ten seconds (takes me longer to go retrieve a hairstick than it does to actually do the bun!) and it just really holds. It's also easy to customize the tension -- if I just need my poof out of my way for a while while I do something, I can do a really loose one and then undo it and still have my curl pattern. Or if I need one to really hold, I can do it "facelift tight" and it won't budge.

Since the middle of my bun is a little bit different, how about instead of "Wickeldutt" we call mine "Pickelbutt"?

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    Chin/Bra/WKs?
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/i/ii

Your story brought back memories for me! I was somewhere from maybe, 7-8 or younger when I was out with my dad, and he had struck up a conversation with a very sweet lady outside a donut shop. At some point he walked off and it was just me and her talking. I can't remember what we were talking about but at some point, she just up and gave me this beautiful hairclip with pearls (artificial ones for decoration of course) right out of her purse as a gift. I was so surprised! I never saw her again, but that little moment has always stayed with me. I treasured that clip and wore it on days that were special to me, or when I was having a decent hair day.

I'll bet Sydney will have fun with her new hairtoy!
    Chin, SL, BSL, APL, BAPL, MDBL, WST, TB, BigCHOP
    I'll Whip My Hair Back And Forth

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Your story brought a smile to MY face, rena!

Now that I think of it, I got one of the sisters of a kid on my son's hockey team hooked on the Tangle Teezer at a tournament a couple weeks ago, too.... OMG, I'm a menace to the youth of today!!!!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    Chin/Bra/WKs?
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Your story brought a smile to MY face, rena!

Now that I think of it, I got one of the sisters of a kid on my son's hockey team hooked on the Tangle Teezer at a tournament a couple weeks ago, too.... OMG, I'm a menace to the youth of today!!!!
    Paving the way for better hair care one head at a time! Yeah!
    Chin, SL, BSL, APL, BAPL, MDBL, WST, TB, BigCHOP
    I'll Whip My Hair Back And Forth

Sydney's mom is sooo going to hate you in a few years for this

Type
    3b/F/iii

Great story!

Lady Myhriss of Beauty Afire

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

That's such a cute story

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Nulliparous Snarkus RadiantNeedle's Avatar
    Length
    15"/Knee/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

You need your own Enablinator theme song, GRU!
    8<3
    Currently Knee Length, Ridiculous Bunwaves, Sulphate Free Shampoo, Conefree Condish, Coconut Oil Addict!