Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To those who don't use coconut oil in dry hair

Default To those who don't use coconut oil in dry hair

What does work for you?

I noticed in the wet or dry coconut oil thread that some people say their hair reacts badly when they use coconut oil in dry hair. After my first few coconut oil treatments I think my hair may be the same. My hair seems worse.

Is it worth trying the coconut oil treatment on wet hair? Does it make much difference or should I just stay away from coconut oil altogether?

Are there other such moisturizing/conditioning treatments I could try?

I started a few weeks ago with a regime of CWC, coconut oil treatments and sleeping with a silk prettywrap but like I said my hair seems to be getting worse

Length
    14"/25"/waist
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: To those who don't use coconut oil in dry hair

I find less is more with coconut oil. I thought hated it but I was saturating my hair in Coconut oil every night for weeks. I now know that a small amount as a prewash on dry hair, once week (sometimes once a month) makes my hair feel great. I also find if I overdo EVOoil I get almost a dry weird feeling to my hair.

I haven't tried adding coconut oil to shampoo yet, something I really need to do.....

Its all about experimenting and find what works for you.

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I can use coconut oil applied to dry hair as an overnight deep treatment before washing, but I have portion control issues when I try to apply it to either wet or dry hair after washing. No matter how little I try to use, it always ends up being too much. If I want to put something in my hair when it is dry I use Panacea, any of the 3 blends works well for me, in very tiny amounts, just as much as a touch of the finger to the surface, rubbed between my palms, then applied to my hair.

Until I started to use oil shampoo I used to use a drop or two of Beldaran's oil (similar to Africa's Best, but without the scent), or a finger touch of Panacea applied to wet but not dripping hair after washing. These worked better for me than jojoba, Shea or other oils. I don't need a leave in when I use coconut oil shampoo.

[Insert something clever] BrightEyes7's Avatar
    Length
    APL/BSL/Done
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Perhaps you're trying too much all at once.

You're supposed to try one new thing at a time to figure out what works for you. I only apply coconut oil to my dry hair as a deep treatment before washing. Then I'll put a little little little bit on my ends when wet as a leave in.

You have to experiment. Everyone's hair is different. What works for some won't work for others, even if they are pretty much the same hair type.
    Straightened.

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Excellent point, BrightEyes7. It has taken me over a year and a half of very slow experimenting to find what is currently working for me, and I'm not nearly done. Some of the things I've learned about my hair and its needs have really surprised me and I would never have figured out if I hadn't taken it slow and careful.

Length
    APL/BSL/Tlbn
    Type
    1a/F/i

I agree with the less is more theory. I have finefinefine hair and I use very little, but it does do wonders on my ageing dry ends. I put coconut oil in my hair when wet after CO washing. I use just enough to make my palms shiney and I apply only to the length, concentrating on the bottom. I also mix some with water and shampoo about 2 times per week for a regular wash. I use a lump about the size of a pea, mix with about 1 tablespoon each shampoo and warm water (to melt the oil) and apply all over. I've had a greasy scalp all my life and this seems to work.

Length
    17"/22"/30"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

I find that if I get just enough to rub between my hands and make my palms shiny and then rub my palms down the length of my wet hair that I get as good of results as I'm going to get from coconut oil. Anything more than that and I end up an oil slick. I think I have pretty low porosity hair, though.
    - Yeah TOAST -

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Either way I get somewhat crunchy ends. But with damp hair is less. Oiling in general with damp hair is much more moisturizing. Coconut oil isn't the only oil around, if something doesn't work for me I seek other things, that's how it works for me and coconut oil.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

It might be build up, I get it pretty fast in my ends.
    Also too much in hair, as people has suggested. I have never had so many bad hair days as I have after joining LCH . Finding a good routine and portion controll takes time. But in general my hair is getting better.
    I think it is worth it to try coconut oil on wet hair, and as a pree wash treatment, because it is good for many peoples hair, and one of the few oils that penetrates hair shaft. And you have already bought some Good luck.

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Avocado oil and olive oil can also penetrate hair. Half a finger tip of coconut oil is too much for my iii hair (will get crunchy) and won't even touch most strands...so I pass.