Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lice and Nits

Length
    Hip/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Lice and Nits

I've seen plenty of great threads telling how to get rid of lice; however, my problem is nits. Nothing seems to explain how to get rid of those. Combing doesn't work, not well enough. I don't have live lice, but I can't seem to get all of the nits out. ACV helps, by making my hair much smoother, but I would appreciate any other recipes people might have. Help, please.

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Lice and Nits

Hedrin is my #1 wonder drug against lice. Frontline vet works well too, but I will never use it again as it is maybe toxic to humans!
    If you keep combing with a nit comb, the eggs will hatch and you can comb out the nymphs, without any lice being able to grow big enough to lay new eggs. You should keep combing 14 days - 3 weeks from the point where you got rid of the entire adult lice population to be sure that all the eggs have hatched and the new lice been caught

Length
    Hip/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Clarisse View Post
    Hedrin is my #1 wonder drug against lice. Frontline vet works well too, but I will never use it again as it is maybe toxic to humans!
    If you keep combing with a nit comb, the eggs will hatch and you can comb out the nymphs, without any lice being able to grow big enough to lay new eggs. You should keep combing 14 days - 3 weeks from the point where you got rid of the entire adult lice population to be sure that all the eggs have hatched and the new lice been caught
    It's been three weeks already. Most of the eggs are dead, I think, but they still have the glue on them, and I just can't get them out. I can just keep at it until they're gone, but I'm pressed for time. My mom combs the nits out of my hair, and it really strains her eyes, so she's threatening to chop it off. So I would really like to get rid of these as soon as possible.

Length
    Pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

The only way to remove all eggs is to coat the hair is conditioner (I really mean use a lot!) then use a fine tooth comb. The conditioner makes the eggs more slippery and easier to detach. Do this every day for a week and they will be gone.
    Pixie (Dec '08 ) - Shoulder (Jan '10) - Collarbone (Jul '10) - APL (Oct '10) - TRIM 2 inches - BSL (Nov '11) - Waist (?Nov '12?) - TBL

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Dead nits is not something to worry about - they do no harm. I found that Hedrin takes them out very well, but if there is a few still glued to the hair, I don’t care.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TawnyRoots View Post
    The only way to remove all eggs is to coat the hair is conditioner (I really mean use a lot!) then use a fine tooth comb. The conditioner makes the eggs more slippery and easier to detach. Do this every day for a week and they will be gone.
    Yup. I believe that's the best method to get rid of both nits and live lice. I've used it several times on classic length hair, so I know it's a chore.

If the live lice are gone and it's just dead nits, could you do the combing yourself? I assume it's just aesthetic you want to remove the nits? If so, it doesn't matter if you miss a spot since you will catch it the next day, say.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    ears/36.5/Knees
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

A good Olive Oil soak will do it too...Soak in olive oil overnight(or a few hours) comb with a nit comb in the morning.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Ahh lice and nits... I've had wayyy too much experience with them over the years! Usually on my daughter, occasionally on my sons and once or twice I've found a lice or nit in my own hair, but I've always been able to remove my own without treating!! (I'm a compulsive picker lol).

For my kids, I use a mixture of conditioner (just a cheapie one) and I add a good quantity of tea tree oil, plus some lavender oil and I smother the hair, then cover it with a shower cap and leave it for several hours, before I go through with a lice comb. Now, you may think that commercial treatments work better... well they don't. I had a friend who caught lice from my kids (very embarrassing that lol) and went home from Australia to Germany, and apparently whatever he used (the harshest stuff he could buy) just would not work, even when he left it on over 24 hours lol. So I gave him my recipe and it killed them .

Now my daughter had, until recently, very thick but fine hair (she'd be at least a iii thickness but her hair strands are super fine), and it is GHASTLY to try and remove nits from it. However, even though I couldn't necessarily get every nit from her hair with combing, any remaining nit after treatment was dead.

My only problem is I've taken her to get a hair cut before and had a hairdresser refuse to cut her hair cause there were dead nits in it (OMG you'd think a hairdresser could tell the difference between a live and a dead one!). Other hairdressers (those with kids usually) are more understanding and can definitely tell the difference and tell me not to worry about it!), and my son actually had the same thing last time he went. Not a single live louse, but dead nits (my youngest son has an incredibly sensitive scalp and screams blue murder when I try and run a nit comb through it...and he's 10 so not as if he's a toddler!).

I suppose it depends how fussy you want to be about dead nits? I've found ones quite far down my daughter's hair shaft that must have been there literally months! Now, if it were my own hair I might just give my hair a super slather of conditioner and then go through it with a lice comb every second day or something, because each time more will come out. But my kids loathe the lice comb and I can't deal with all the crying and screaming, so I only do it when it's completely necessary.
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    Hip/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Thank you, everyone! I'll try all you've suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    If the live lice are gone and it's just dead nits, could you do the combing yourself? I assume it's just aesthetic you want to remove the nits? If so, it doesn't matter if you miss a spot since you will catch it the next day, say.
    I can't seem to remove any myself. The combs are useless, my mother has to find them by sight and take them out with her fingers.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

When I was a kid we used vodka. Just take some cotton puffs, pour a bit of vodka on them and rub the hair with them. Wash it off and condition well. You are likely to smell like a liquor store for the rest of the day though.

Good luck!