Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I look like an oil slick.

Length
    SL/WAIST/HIP?!

Default Re: I look like an oil slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
    Which is why I suggested investing in a hair net and blowdrying. Hair nets are flexible, you can get all your hair under them, and wearing one while you blowdy reduces friction. I'm a babyfine wurly, and a hair net + blowdrying does not mess with my wurl pattern, which is why I can recommend it to others with more resistant hair types.
    Do you get your hair nets from a beauty supply store?

Can I be a Guru now** Angela_Rose's Avatar
    Length
    20"/51"/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I've never tried a dry shampoo, but when I've been very pressed for time, I have twice used baking soda. It was... strange. I didn't like the almost grainy feeling to my hair and I just didn't like it.

So I have a suggestion for you- hats. I don't know where you are, so I don't know what season it is for you, but 'round these parts it is COLD and SNOWY, but the air is very dry (when it's not snowing), so I wash less often in the winter than I do in the summer. This means my hair gets a bit oilier now, and it's perfect hat weather.

I totally understand the "crap! it takes 8-10+ hours for my hair to dry!" thing. My hair's pretty thick, coarse, and wurly, so it takes hours upon hours to dry, and it can be a real pain in the hiney to have wet/damp hair dripping down my back all day.
    Lady Seraph of the Celestial Rose, OOTLHK.
    Achieved 53.5"/Calf, January 2016; currently at 51" and struggling to come back from a Big Shed.

Length
    SL/WAIST/HIP?!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela_Rose View Post
    I've never tried a dry shampoo, but when I've been very pressed for time, I have twice used baking soda. It was... strange. I didn't like the almost grainy feeling to my hair and I just didn't like it.

So I have a suggestion for you- hats. I don't know where you are, so I don't know what season it is for you, but 'round these parts it is COLD and SNOWY, but the air is very dry (when it's not snowing), so I wash less often in the winter than I do in the summer. This means my hair gets a bit oilier now, and it's perfect hat weather.

I totally understand the "crap! it takes 8-10+ hours for my hair to dry!" thing. My hair's pretty thick, coarse, and wurly, so it takes hours upon hours to dry, and it can be a real pain in the hiney to have wet/damp hair dripping down my back all day.
    It's winter where I am however it doesn't snow where I am, but it does get fairly cold so maybe I'll pick up some hats!
    A little update on my quest to battle the oiliness: I tried to scalp wash only and that turned into a major task! Maybe with a little bit of practice I will get better!

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Heynormy,

I echo a few things here. Take the extra 10 minutes to shower at night, and lay a towel over your pillow(s) if you want to. Just sleep on it, or put it in an updo or braid to sleep on. I cut out heat about a month ago too. I used to hate how my hair looked when I didn't dry it, and now it's the opposite! I'm almost at APL and my hairstyle of choice is a half up at the moment. I have wavy hair which looks kinda wonky after sleeping on it wet, but putting it in a half up and blow drying my bangs again (on a low, cool/warm setting) makes it all look okay.

On that note, if you want to blow dry, as Lamb said, then go for it! The problem with blow dryers is excessive heat and making your hair whip all over the place. Put it on a warm or cool setting, and it's okay. And then have the wind on low setting and/or get a hair net as suggested. You don't have to dry it 100% anyway.

Hats are also a good option. But seriously, if it's cold where you are, don't go out with wet hair. Showering at night and/or using a hair dryer sounds like the best option.

I can't imagine having no time to wash my hair, but I've never been in a situation where I absolutely had to do the things you're doing. So, good luck!

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

When I was at uni and busy with work I used to wash my hair at night, put on a hairnet (pin it on with bobby pins as it could come off) and let it dry naturally all night. In the morning my wavy hair would sit all nice and smooth and be totally dry.

Having said this, i just damp bun now and although it's still wet by night, I can then take it out and let it dry whilst I'm doing dinner etc.

Hairnets can be bought at pharmacies and the hair section in the supermarket. I'm sure you can find one online if you don't have time.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by heynormy View Post
    Do you get your hair nets from a beauty supply store?
    I get them from the drugstore. Most widely available accessory ever - dirt cheap, too.

Length
    SL/WAIST/HIP?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
    I get them from the drugstore. Most widely available accessory ever - dirt cheap, too.
    I can't find them in my drugstores, but I found some at Sallys Beauty Supply! I just finished washing my hair (I actually had time today) so I might try the hairnet trick! I also picked up a BBB...double win today!

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Haven't read the entire thread, but I was going to suggest a microfiber towel to suck away the excess water in your hair after you wash so it dries faster, or even drying it on a low or cool setting.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!