Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do you leave hair oil on your hair for?

Default How long do you leave hair oil on your hair for?

I regularly put oil in my hair, once every week and leave it on my hair for 5 days.

Im just wondering what is a good length of time to leave the oil in the hair for?

Are better results achieved by applying oil to the hair 1 hour before shampooing so that it keeps hair more moisturized?

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: How long do you leave hair oil on your hair for?

Except for whilst I am shampooing and an hour afterward, my hair always has oil in it. I wash every 3 days.

Personally, I think oil can be left in as long as (a) it has not attracted a load of dust and fluff that is building up in your hair i,e, it has become dirty (b) your hair, scalp and facial skin are not reacting badly to the presence of the oil, and (c) the oil has not become rancid and smelly.

Applying oil, especially coconut oil, an hour or even overnight before you wash it off is a good thing to prevent protein loss and generally protect the hair.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oil is generally on my hair for at least one hour to as long as 36-48 hours before washing. I don't like oil in my hair for too long because it sucks up all the lint and dust and dog hairs in the house.

Length
    pixie/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I always apply a bit of oil to my ends after I have washed it! And sometimes between washes as well. I use oil as an anti frizz serum so I use it as a leave in! Works fine for my hair, as long as I only do the ends, otherwise it gets really greasy.

pixie. bob. chin length. shoulder. collarbone. APL. BSL. Waist?
    My hair journal! & My portfolio

Length
    2"/20"/37"

I apply a bit of oil to my hair after every wash. Sometimes I will do a heavy oiling an hour to 24 hours before I shampoo. I don't like lots of oil in my hair, because just like some of the others, I don't want it to collect dust, dog hair, etc. or even get all over DH hands if he happens to touch my hair.

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I apply mine at night and wash out in the morning!
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

My hair is incredibly porous, and one of the only things that helps it feel silky and soft is a light application of oil daily. The only time I don't have oil on my length is during my shower haha

Length
    chin/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

my hair gets weighed down easily, so I only oil before bed and wash out in the morning

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

However long I feel like, depending on how lazy I'm being and if I have to be anywhere super-smart (e.g. I've recently been to a lot of interviews - turning up there with oiled hair, seeing as I'm blonde and so it looks really just like greasy, dirty hair, would be a no-no).

I only use coconut oil, except in one instance when I had really dry hair, couldn't wash it and it was so cold that my coconut oil was re-solidifying in my hair...

Sometimes I just use it as an oil shampoo. Sometimes I heavily oil the last 4-ish inches (they hide in my bun). Sometimes I heavily oil from about halfway between chin and shoulders down (i.e. everything that goes in the bun, nothing that sweeps back along my head - again with the blonde and not wanting to look dirty).

I'll leave the heavy oiling in until I next wash - it could be that evening, it could be 3, 4 or even more days. It really depends how long until I get fed up with having to be careful combing (because it stickies my hair together slightly) and worrying about leaning my bun on other people's clothes/furniture...

I generally only oil my scalp because I've got my bf to give me a head massage, which is pretty rare unless I'm uber-stressed.

I leave it on as long as possible. So at least overnight before I CO wash it out.