Thread: URGENT: Does hennaing permed hair = permanent loss of curls?

Default URGENT: Does hennaing permed hair = permanent loss of curls?

Hi girls,

I've had my hair permed about 3 weeks ago. I have very, very fine hair, and with the perm, my hair is now 2a (previously stick-straight)- the perm was a very loose one, so I have big waves rather than actual curls. And I must stress they are BIG, LOOSE WAVES that will disappear if I don't scrunch and style my hair.

I actually really love my hair like this, but I'm in dire need of my hair to be recoloured (it's currently a terrible shade of orangey-brown from having been chemically dyed red 2 months ago) and so have been hmm-ing and hah-ing over hennaing my hair.

If I henna my hair, will I lose my permed waves/curls PERMANENTLY, or will they come back after a few washes?

I'd be extremely grateful is someone who's hennaed over permed hair gives me some advice!

Thanks so much!

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: URGENT: Does hennaing permed hair = permanent loss of curls?

Hairstylist here. You will not lose the curl you have. A perm completely restructures your entire hair from the inside. Henna only coats the shaft. However after hennaing it will be harder to get a perm to take in the future. Also, please be advised Henna is permanent as well, there is nothing, including bleach that removes it, though one member here did have AMAZING results with Colour Oops, I tried the same technique on my hair, and the henna didn't budge.
    Last edited by Calaelen; January 20th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Lady Calaelen of Eden's Nook Designer of Fetching Forks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Calaelen is more qualified to answer than I am, but I was also going to say that henna won't cause changes to your hair at a molecular level the way perms do. It may add a bit to your hair's mass, which could drag the waves out slightly, but it's unlikely that the results would be substantial.

In general, I would classify henna as being an "orange-brown" color. I suggest you do some serious strand-testing before you put it on your head if you think the current orange-brown shade of your hair is awful.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Thanks Anje and Calaelen for the advice!

Anje, I'm looking to get it towards burgundy, so I'd much prefer deep orangey-red to orangey-brown!

Also, just to triple confirm what you guys said, I've just gotten the henna out of my hair, and I'm ecstatic to say my curls/waves are still perfectly intact!

So if anyone else who happens to be reading this is on the fence as to whether to henna and risk losing a perm, HENNA AWAY!

Length
    24"/30"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/ii

This is really interesting. Would you mind posting some pics of the results? I'm really interested on your perm. I would love to add some soft waves to my stick straight hair ... What kind of perm did you get? My last perm was many years ago and I know there are some knew techniques out there. Good to know that perms and henna can get along =)
    BSL for years ~ Goal - Waist

Hi AMW!

I don't have any pics of my hair right now as it's a little stringy since I've JUST removed the henna several hours ago, but if you're just interested in the perm, I actually got a digital perm.

I hope this link comes out, it looks sort of like this http://hairstyle.sighvogue.com/wp-co.../hair07-03.jpg
    But can get curlier or wavier depending on how I style it

Length
    24"/30"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hi Hiighpriestess ... Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to do some research on the digital perm and see if anybody around my area does it!
    BSL for years ~ Goal - Waist