Thread: Hair for a Formal Dance?

Default Hair for a Formal Dance?

Well, I'm new here. I've been lurking off and on for a couple of months. But it has come to the point where I must seek advice of my own from everyone here. I have mid length hair. It hits about my shoulder blades or bra line. But I have a lot of it. For instance, putting it up in a bun is hard because it almost ends up wider than it is long, regardless of the fact I have stick straight hair. I'm at a loss currently. In the next few weeks I will be attending a formal dance. I don't have money to go to the salon for my hair to be done. Does anyone have any ideas on simple to do, but pretty formal hair do-s for the dance? Oh, I also have bangs that hit right around my eyebrows. Straight/whispy kind of. Thanks.

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hair for a Formal Dance?

Do you like half up styles? That could give you the chance to do something interesting with the up part without having to get it all into a bun.

I'm good with just about anything. What I was wanting to try was something like this http://funkydoll-faaw.blogspot.com/2...orsage-by.html in the front and do something with the back, but I'm horrible with my hair, quite honestly, and I'm not sure I can master the braid by then.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Here is a simple one:

1) detangle your hair, and part it from the top of one ear to the top of the other ear. Make sure there are no tangles.

2) Braid the hair above the part and secure with hair friendly elastic.

3) Take the braid and pinning as you go, coil it around itself in the shape of a bun.

4) Take remaining hair and braid it. Wind the braid around the bun braid already in place, pinning as you go.

Or, if you want something fast and simple, make a high ponytail and separate it into two sections.

Take one section of the ponytail in one hand and the other section in the other.

Now twist them (gently) around each other, working down the length. Secure with elastic band.

Now take the twisted hair and form a coil, and pin securely in the 4 directions (north/south/east/west).

Hope this helps!

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

That braided headband is cute. Lots of video tutorials are available for dutch or lace headband braiding. Here is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUYj2...e_gdata_player

It just takes practice so go for it!

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I really like French twists - would that be too business-like for a formal dance?

There are a lot of pretty updo ideas in the articles section too: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...y&categoryid=1
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Here is a simple one:

1) detangle your hair, and part it from the top of one ear to the top of the other ear. Make sure there are no tangles.

2) Braid the hair above the part and secure with hair friendly elastic.

3) Take the braid and pinning as you go, coil it around itself in the shape of a bun.

4) Take remaining hair and braid it. Wind the braid around the bun braid already in place, pinning as you go.
    Thanks for these instructions! I found that I didn't even need to secure the ends of the braids with elastics. It felt very solid and comfortable all day (and looked impressively big!). That style's going into frequent rotation!

Length
    12?/TB/Class
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Hi noel11! One easy hair-style you could do is to part the hair from ear to ear and twist the front hair a few times, then tuck it under and pin it, letting a tail hang down if necessary. This makes a "quiff" or pouf in the front and you can curl the ends or straighten them as you wish.

Best of luck! Your hair sounds lovely.