Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you control tangles when wearing your hair down?

Length
    18"/36"/37"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Cool How do you control tangles when wearing your hair down?

Sure would like to wear my hair down once in a while but it tangles so easily. I did notice though that there seems to be much more manageability in this regard after damp bunning. Might try to keep it down around the house for half a day tomorrow to see what difference this might make. Do you have any personal tricks and methods to control tangling? I suppose one idea would be to wear a hair friendly fabric shirt. Garnier detangler doesn't do it for me.

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: How do you control tangles when wearing your hair down?

The thing I find the best is comb it through out the day to avoid the worst of the tangles and always have a little oil on the ends.
    Hello

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I try to wear shirts that are more smooth and have no collars to reduce friction. I also comb my hair about 10 times a day when it is down to keep the tangles to a minimum.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

When it is windy, chuck a lightweight scarf over your head shawl-style to keep your hair from blowing EVERYWHERE. Or, gather it all over one shoulder and physically hold it there (as if in an over-the-shoulder ponytail) whilst walking in the wind until you go inside.

Always have a hair bobble on your wrist (or, I suppose, a hair stick/comb/flexi-8/other toy of preference in your pocket/bag) for when it just gets too windy or you start doing something too active. Even if you only tie it back for 5 mins it can cut down on the tangles.

Also, whenever it gets soaked through whilst down, comb it out asap, even if this means fingercombing it through a lecture. I live in Wales, this was a common problem. :P

Try not to get it caught under rucksacks or coats or things too much. If you like to wear it tucked into your coat/jumper, fine. Just make sure it moves about under there as little as possible. Personally, that is one of the worst things I can do - I just get one big enormous matted lump in about 10 minutes flat.

Length
    BSL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I don't lol...but I wear my hair down anyway as often as I can, that is when I'm not working/doing housework, that kind of thing. Otherwise it's down, except at the moment because I've set myself a goal of trying to wear it up for 2 weeks lol

I just occasionally run my fingers through it when it's down to remove any tangles. Honestly I don't care if it tangles when it's down, I'm wearing it down anyway, even if it's not very LHC friendly.
    Lady Móreadhiel, Whisperer and Guardian to the Creatures of Silence in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    pixie-jaw-shoulder-APL-BSL-WAIST!

Length
    BSL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Also, whenever it gets soaked through whilst down, comb it out asap, even if this means fingercombing it through a lecture. I live in Wales, this was a common problem. :P

Try not to get it caught under rucksacks or coats or things too much. If you like to wear it tucked into your coat/jumper, fine. Just make sure it moves about under there as little as possible. Personally, that is one of the worst things I can do - I just get one big enormous matted lump in about 10 minutes flat.[/quote]

This too
    Lady Móreadhiel, Whisperer and Guardian to the Creatures of Silence in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    pixie-jaw-shoulder-APL-BSL-WAIST!

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

My friend (who is also in the community) is a hairstylist and she has this product called Unite 7 second Detangle. It's a Leave in conditioner and she used it one me 3 separate times when we went out and our hair was down (my hair tangles like no other, but her hair is multi textured and longer than mine, so it gets really unmanageable) and it barely tangled! I am in love with this product.

I don't know if this would work for others, but I think just a leave in conditioner would do the trick. I found that when I soak my hair in a leave in, my hair tangles less. I wear my hair down a lot, and I have given up any kind of heat other than deep moisture. My hair is wavy/curly and really coarse, which equals rat's nest on a windy day .

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I just looked up that product and cannot locate ingredients. If you have the bottle handy and can let me know if it has cones or proteins, I would really appreciate it! If not, I will keep an eye out and see if I can figure out if it will work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by leslissocool View Post
    My friend (who is also in the community) is a hairstylist and she has this product called Unite 7 second Detangle. It's a Leave in conditioner and she used it one me 3 separate times when we went out and our hair was down (my hair tangles like no other, but her hair is multi textured and longer than mine, so it gets really unmanageable) and it barely tangled! I am in love with this product.

I don't know if this would work for others, but I think just a leave in conditioner would do the trick. I found that when I soak my hair in a leave in, my hair tangles less. I wear my hair down a lot, and I have given up any kind of heat other than deep moisture. My hair is wavy/curly and really coarse, which equals rat's nest on a windy day .
    Change is the only constant.

I bought a mini brush and comb set from the dollar store (had to smooth some sharp edges with my nail buffer) and keep them in my purse. Because my hair is still relatively short, I wear it down more times than not while I'm at work, and during my breaks I like to gently brush my hair out. I've also been known to take a little mini spray bottle full of water and a tiny bit of aloe vera and jojoba oil to spritz my hair down during lunch.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by leslissocool View Post

I've been looking for an ingredient list and can't find one. Do you have the list by any chance?