Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get Coconut Oil out of your hair

Default How to get Coconut Oil out of your hair

So I've been oiling my hair for about 6 months. I usually mix two or three oils and then cover my entire head with the mixture. Well I've been reading about how good coconut oil is for your hair so I decided to do one treatment of JUST coconut oil. Ok so here's the problem... I usually wash my hair with cool/cold water so when I washed my hair the cold water made the coconut oil HARD i ended up with a tangley mess. I ended up rinsing it with hot water to get it out and the hot water dried out my hair so the treatment was pretty much pointless Has this happened to any one else and how do you fix it?

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: How to get Coconut Oil out of your hair

I use Conditioner only to get it out and that works great for me. I use warm water then I follow up with a cold rinse and then use white vinegar diluted in a spray bottle and just leave that on. So far so good, and I have been using the Coconut oil now about every other night and wash it out in the morning for about a month or so
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

Length
    23/31/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Did you wash with shampoo at all? When I do a coconut oil treatment, it usually washes out very well with diluted shampoo. Don't worry about losing the benefits of the coconut oil by doing this. Coconut oil is one of the few natural oils that has chemical properties allowing it to penetrate the hair shaft.
    The softness and shine granted to your hair by the coconut oil should remain after a shampoo (particularly a suflate-free shampoo).

Account Closed by Member Request

I use warm water for showers and i never do a cool rinse (brr)

But you must remember that coconut oil solidifies at about 25 degrees celsuis, so it's solid at (typical) room temperature (Not in here. It's always so hot in my apartment. Whine.)

in order to be effective, coconut oil needs warmth. I've had my hair stiffen on winter days because of the coconut oil.

but I've had no trouble getting the coconut oil out of my hair with warm water and conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post
    I use Conditioner only to get it out and that works great for me. I use warm water then I follow up with a cold rinse and then use white vinegar diluted in a spray bottle and just leave that on. So far so good, and I have been using the Coconut oil now about every other night and wash it out in the morning for about a month or so
    Thank You have you noticed an improvement in your hair since you started using it?

Quote Originally Posted by Una View Post
    Did you wash with shampoo at all? When I do a coconut oil treatment, it usually washes out very well with diluted shampoo. Don't worry about losing the benefits of the coconut oil by doing this. Coconut oil is one of the few natural oils that has chemical properties allowing it to penetrate the hair shaft.
    The softness and shine granted to your hair by the coconut oil should remain after a shampoo (particularly a suflate-free shampoo).
    Yes i forgot to mention that I use a baby shampoo and the shampoo cleaned it off the top of my hair but it was more near the ends that it wouldnt come out...

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Phiona View Post
    Thank You have you noticed an improvement in your hair since you started using it?
    omg have I!!!! I love Coconut oil this has been my favorite (so far) everyone has their preference and you will have to find what works for your hair. I'll try just about anything once, or maybe even twice!! EVOO, shea butter, jojoba oil, egss, avacado pack, whatever I can get my hands on

There is a thread on peoples routines check that and try diffent things out. They say to try only one thing at a time so you can figure out what is working and what is not.
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

Length
    Nape/28.5/30
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

You can take it out with conditionner and warm water. You can also try to cover your hair with conditionner some minutes before taking your shower.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Same for me; conditioner plus shampooing my scalp area, and I use warm water, not hot.

I always want a little coconut oil to stay in my length, at least the ends. I'm not obsessed with getting rid of every last trace.

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Coconut oil becomes solid at around 71 degrees F, or around 22 degrees C, so if you are rinsing your hair cold or cool water you really won't be able to get it off of your hair. You need to wash in at least warm, not necessarily hot, but at least warm water to get the oil off your hair.

Also, you didn't specify if you used shampoo to wash the oil out, or if you just used plain water. If you just used plain water, it certainly won't be able to get it out, because all oils repel water. You can use shampoo to remove the oil, but an even more effective way is to use a cone-free conditioner. Apply the conditioner to your oiled hair, let it sit for around 15 minutes, and then wash it out with warm water.