Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to get Coconut Oil out of your hair

Length
    15/20/40
    Type
    2c/F/M/i

Default Re: How to get Coconut Oil out of your hair

Quote Originally Posted by ericthegreat View Post
    Hi vnv, you do NOT wet your hair at all when you are using the CO method (meaning using conditioner only)to wash your hair. You simply apply the conditioner directly to your oiled hair, let it sit for at least 15 minutes, and then you wash it out with a warm shower. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but using conditioner only is actually even more effective in removing oil from your hair than using shampoo. See, the fatty alcohols in a cone-free conditioner will bond very well with the oil molecules, so that when you finally wash it out, the warm water takes out both the conditioner and the oil that is now bonded to the conditioner. However, this bonding process doesn't happen immediately, this is why you have to first allow those 15 minutes for that bonding to happen.

You are free of course to default to using shampoo if that's what you are used to, but the shampoo will dry out your hair. The CO method is a much more gentler method, it will remove the oil from your hair without drying out your hair. In fact, it will leave your hair more moisturized.

Something I do wrong because the last time I oiling my hair with coconut oil, without wet my hair I put conditioner and rub my head, I let it in my head about 20-30 minutes and then I wash it with warm water and only conditioner (I use Johnsons baby conditioner) , then I rinse it with apple vinegar and cold water and the top of my head is oily.. Only if I put in my roots shampoo I dont have this..but I love only conditioner method

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLA View Post
    Thanks for the info In2wishin. What brand of coconut oil do you use?
    I'm going to look for better quality coconut oil next time I go shopping. Mine says 100% coconut oil, but also lists petrolatum as the first ingredient. It smells just like coconuts.
    I saw that on the Walgreen's website and wondered if that was what you got. Their labeling is definitely misleading. I did see Natures way on their website but it looked like they were promoting it as a dietary supplement so if you go back to Walgreens check in that section or ask (the stores don't always carry the same stuff as their website). If you are in a small town without a natural foods store that may be a solution.

I use Jarrow refined (don't like the coconut smell of unrefined) for any formulations that need coconut oil. I actually use Babassu oil on my hair because I get clogged pores on my scalp when I use coconut oil.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Resurrecting this thread - At the moment my length from ears down is fairly well glued together with coconut oil which I want to remove. Yesterday I warmed some conditioner, put it through my dry hair, then put a shower cap on and allowed it to soak through the oiled hair for an hour. Then washed my hair in warm water, diluted shampoo and did another lot of conditioning, rinsed in warm water, then a cold vinegar and water final rinse.

My hair is STILL full of coconut oil, it didn't come out. Any further suggestions? Apart from washing a couple of times over with undiluted shampoo, which would probably do it?
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    <3in/~APL/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

sarahlabyrinth, I had the same problem yesterday- am currently trying shampoo bars at the mo instead of my usual Pantene ice white which I feel is drying. I don't want to give up overnight oil because without it my hair is very porous.

So soaked 30 mins in conditioner then rinsed out, then shampoo bar and acv... Waited 8h for it to dry, and was horribly oily still so I had to wash again with tons of shampoo. It's a shame because when I use shampoo bar without pre-oiling, it turns out lovely, but I have to pre-oil quite often to avoid porosity problems.

Is there a specific conditioner we should be using for this? I used tresemme naturals. If it's cheap and available in the uk... Well, that would be even better
    Last edited by two_wheels; March 30th, 2014 at 05:14 AM.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I don't know if there is a specific conditioner we should use. I shampooed undiluted 3 times yesterday and the oil is still there, hardly any came out. I might hunt through my conditioners today and try again with a different one.

Length
    <3in/~APL/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

How strange. Hope you get it out. For what it's worth, Pantene Ice Shine shampoo (lots) followed by Tresemme Naturals conditioner (also lots) worked for me.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Thanks two_wheels. I just tried soaking it in Pantene conditioner for an hour this morning and rinsed it out. My hair is still damp at the moment but as far as I can tell it feels as if the oil is gone. It must depend what conditioner you use...We can't buy Pantene Ice shine here. Not sure about Tresemme Naturals either, am getting groceries this afternoon and will see what I can find. ETA: Most of the oil has gone, some is still there.
    Last edited by Sarahlabyrinth; March 30th, 2014 at 06:51 PM.