Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negative side effects of Castor Oil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Negative side effects of Castor Oil?

Hey ho!

So I started using a castor oil & avacodo oil 50/50 mix in my hair a week or so ago. I've used it 3 times, I'd massage it into my scalp, leave it on for an hour then CWC it away but every time I did I found I was shedding alot more hair than I usually do. I was pulling out good 20 strand clumps while finger combing in my conditioner. I normally shed very, very little, I really do feel pushed to say I even usually shed 20 hairs a day.

Is this the castor oil causing this? Has anyone else had any rather unfortunate side effects with it?

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Negative side effects of Castor Oil?

Maybe you are using to much or leaving it on to long or doing it to often. I have this problem with all oils but what I find works best is to not use much and not use it hot. And only use it every few weeks.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I would think the increased shedding would be more due to the manipulation of the scalp than the oil mixture itself. It's probably not more than is normal for you; when you do something new, you tend to pay more attention than when things are routine.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I cannot see how any oil would make hair shed, its more likely the oil is just helping hair shed, which was due to shed anyway.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

[Insert something clever] BrightEyes7's Avatar
    Length
    APL/BSL/Done
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I tried using avacado oil a couple times as a pre-wash treatment. Every time I shed a lot more than normal. Is using avacado oil a new thing for you? If so it may be that, and you can try a different oil to combine, perhaps either olive or coconut.

It could also possibly be due to what spidermom said, the manipulation of the scalp.
    Straightened.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Well, thanks all

I'm not terribly convinced that it could be the scalp manipulation. I frequently do scalp massages with rosemary oil (gently, of course) and haven't found any ill effect with that.

Avacado Oil is also very new to me, yes. I may try switching it out in place of something else.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I alway have a heavier shed when I do scalp oilings and massage, regardless of the oil used.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    pixie/23"/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I use castor oil with EVOO or coconut oil. I also add EO's to it. I haven't noticed any additional shedding. I've actually noticed less shedding, but i dont know what's helping me.

I started taking Biotin, MSM, multi vitamin, evening primrose oil, and using castor oil, and Monistat, all at the same time. I have noticed hair growth, less shed, and shiny hair that has less frizz. Woot!
    15-20 weeks weight loss challenge (goal 20-30 lbs)
    pixie - chin - apl - bsl stretched - bsl unstretched - waist
    GROW HAIR GROW!!!

do you have any issues with latex? avocado can cause reactions in people with latex allergy

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I keep oil away from my scalp, strangly it becomes irritated by oils.
    I’m of the mind that it was probably going to shed anyway but you’ve helped it along i.e., the oil within the hair follicle lubricates the hair so it slides out easily. If you were losing hair with the growth bulb still attached I would be really concerned.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.