Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Negative side effects of Castor Oil?

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Negative side effects of Castor Oil?

Some people can't tolerate oil or conditioner on their scalps. I shed like a maniac when I did CO and I am definitely not going back to that. Sometimes things just don't work and there's no need to cling to a routine that obviously doesn't do you a lick of good.

Length
    26.4"/27"/31.5"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I use castor oil and EVOO 50/50, I put it on 2-4 hours before washing my hair.
    Less shed and more baby hair!

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

A change of routine can also cause shedding, which usually settles down after a few weeks.

This seems to be the case with most changes.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    ???/Hip?/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I used castor oil on my scalp for the first time a couple of nights ago, and I did notice more shedding right after I had applied it and massaged my scalp: I then went on to oiling the rest of my hair with coconut oil, and while I normally always lose a few strands in the process, there were definitely more this time, which worried me a bit :S
    However when I washed my hair the following morning and when I combed my (dry) hair after that, I didn't notice anything different from normal.
    I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks, I hope it was just due to the change of routine. Also, this was the first time I'd massaged my scalp properly, so reading the replies in this thread are reassuring me

Type
    1b/M/ii

I used castor oil and avacado for the first time, yesterday morning, too. I put a 50/50 combo of it on my scalp and massaged it in, left it for an hour, and then washed my hair. I shed a TON. Since I am shedding more already, this drastically increased amount really scared me. Reading this makes me feel a bit better- this morning, I seemed to shed less...whether its because more came out quicker yesterday, or the oil is helping, who knows?
    How often do people usually treat with the oil? I'm wanting the benefits of the castor oil on my thinning hair, but I don't want to make it too greasy or shed like I did yesterday, too often.

Length
    ???/Hip?/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I'm going to do it once a week for now, and hope to see an improvement in shedding.

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Castor oil seems to have slowed down my shedding, but when I was using it less diluted, I think it might have goven me a headache, odd as that sounds. I diluted it with Dabur amla gold, no more headaches, and I get the lovely sleepiness of Indian oils
    Passionate about puny ponytails

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

I love castor oil, it has really helped thicken my hair and made it grow in faster. It's also working wonders on my eyelashes.

Keep it up for another week or so, if you're still shedding stop the oil and see if the shedding stops. Some people cannot tolerate oil on their scalp or manipulation of it.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Castor oil helps me grow my hair faster too (I only use it on scalp). Some bad effects for me is some headache and eye sting when used too much.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I used to use castor oil on my eyelashes, but stopped because they started falling out. It may have just hastened the shedding of those that were about to fall anyway, but I wasn't keen to continue on long enough to find out.

I've heard of this happening to a few other people, but then plenty of people don't have it happening. I wonder if it has anything to do with the quality of the castor oil? Or if it just doesn't agree with some people?