Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Hair Please!

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Indian Hair Please!

So, I was inspired by a recent post and thought it might be nice to get an Indian hair thread going, if no one minds. (If there is an existing thread, please let me know!)
    There are so few Indians where I live, I rarely, if ever, get the opportunity to compare and discuss hair care with a fellow Indian.
    Enter this lovely community!
    So, any Indian members! (And anyone else who wants to respond!) Please, let's hear about your hair and your care routines.

Personally, I have pretty thick, slightly wavy, BSL hair. It's got some red streaks in it's length that I'm not sure came from a faded final dye job, or from the henna in my hair oil. (I had red highlights twice, with a third dye back to natural color.)
    I use coconut oil daily, with heavy oilings once or twice a week. I tend to CO, with CWC on heavy oiling days. I teeter-totter between using cones and not.
    My daily styling is either a braid or bun. I used to flat-iron my hair every so often, but have sworn off of heat. Instead, I'm learning to accept my natural waves. Even though I tend to be a bit of a frizz-head!

Length
    bsl/tail/34
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Indian Hair Please!

Well i live in London, but my family are all originating from India
    I find that following the indian hair care method is pretty good actually it works wonders for my hair and all the indian women i know seem to have marvellous healthy hair... especially in this cold weather we have over here

Length
    2/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I am also interested in Indian methods. Mostly because , even though I'm not Indian, I am Mexican-Native and white, my hair really seems to resemble that of Indian ladies.
    My hair really seems to be responding to some heavy oiling, it's softer and more healthy than ever before.
    Last edited by Aveyronnaise; January 15th, 2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: clarifying.

Length
    10/15/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Hi, I am a indian living in the middle east....i have a lot of indians here who have long hair and sometimes i feel my hair is really thin compared to them but i am still determined to grow long I follow the indian methods of washing with shikakai and herbs and oil my hair. Of late, i have discovered that the less i wash the better it is for my hair. So i am using less of oils and henna. for inbetween my washes i am using the hair butter from L'occitane and the day before my wash i soak my hair with different indian oils like bringraj, coconut, castor etc....this routine makes my hair look "not so frizzy"....i would love to hear from other people out here following indian methods or have indian hair

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Indian living in India - well, I have tried many methods now: 1) the CO, 2)the WO, 3)the CWC, 4) heavy oiling and washing with shikakai the next day 5) henna with tea and yoghurt 6) oil+shampoo (there's a big thread on this in the Recipes section), and 7)other herbal methods like aritha, coconut milk soak, fenugreek seeds soaked and ground and used with urad dal, and even gram dal flour.

I like it best when I wash with herbs. But I have decided to do a CWC once in a while. Your idea of "CWC on heavy oiling days" is a good one I also like WO now and then. I brush hair with BBB. I like washing less too - about once a week.

RIght now I use homemade coconut oil - i.e. Parachute coconut oil mixed with herbs like curry leaves, black seed, fenugreek seeds. But I have tried many different oils before (like Neelibringadhi oil, sesa oil, to name a few).

My daily hairstyle is braid or bun, especially the double braided ones.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I'll be watching this thread with interest :drama:
    I'm really interested in Indian hair care, even though my hair texture is very different from Indian, it responds very well to these treatments.
    Best scenario would be to find local herbs that would work a bit in the same way, I feel a bit bad when I buy Indian herbs, I have no idea how they are produced and then they are also shipped from such a long way away.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Hi! Another Indian here living in India. I had thick tailbone length hair in my teens but did not know how to care for it then, and sadly lost most of the thickness. Presently I have waist length slightly wavy hair. I have some grays coming in and have just started doing two step henna+indigo to cover those. Current routine is oil shampoo once a week, light combing in the morning, thorough brushing with a bbb at night. Regular style is either a figure of eight or the typical Indian bun that does not need any sticks. At night it is in a single braid. I never wear it down.

Banned
    Length
    Long/short/Long

--------------------
    Last edited by hibiscus; June 18th, 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Length
    20"/Hip/clsc
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Hmm I'm Pakistani in UK, I don't know how much it differs but I get very orangey red hair in the sunlight(I've never used henna) and there's always visable streaks.

A few of my cousins and their kids still over there have bright red (actual ginger) hair when they're born, which is odd! It tends to go a light brown as they get older.

I wouldn't say my hair was VERY thick but it's coarser than my English friends and the less I do with it the better it seems to be. When I'm over there I'm always looking at other womens hair

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I'm not Indian, but live in a community that includes many Indians and I've long been a fan of the beatiful hair some women have. I'll be paying attention to this thread. I also get very good results from oiling.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!