Thread: Indian Hair Please!

Length
    20/35/50
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Indian Hair Please!

Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    i prefer plain mustard oil. but it makes hair greasy a bit
    coconut oil can be used for every hair type. it doesnt make your a lot greasy.... i use coconut oil for every 3 days on my hair and wash it after 2hrs or the other day.
    Thanks kanaka btw i love the shine of your hairs zabardust

Length
    23 in/23 in/46
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    I'll be watching this thread with interest :drama:
    I'm really interested in Indian hair care, even though my hair texture is very different from Indian, it responds very well to these treatments.
    Best scenario would be to find local herbs that would work a bit in the same way, I feel a bit bad when I buy Indian herbs, I have no idea how they are produced and then they are also shipped from such a long way away.
    Good, I'm not the only one I'm lurking. ha. *pulls up a chair and passes the popcorn*
    I'll bring the jr. mints.

I have to find a store near me to get this stuff at. I don't even know where to look though.

Length
    TB/TB/class
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sana junaid View Post
    Thanks kanaka btw i love the shine of your hairs zabardust
    You are Welcome Thank you so much sana, that's a sweet compliment

Trying to grow my hair to TB length as soon as possible

Length
    19/19/31
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondbell View Post
    OK raishalini11, I made the black castor oil finally! It was fun but a bit scary too, because I kept thinking what if the tea-leaves get burnt . I put it in oven for about 5 hours, at about 50-100 degrees C. After cooling and straining I too used some EOs like you. The oil is however oilier than the normal castor oil, so I will be mixing it with another oil while using it. I will be using only a drop or two each time. It works fine. I already used it once.
    Diamondbell, I'm happy to see that you finally made your oil. I have been regularly using my home made oil with great success. I recently used the oil to give a massage to my niece who was shedding hair and to my surprise her hair fall reduced to 4-5 from 50-60 after just two application . It impressed my sister so much that she made her own oil with same combination ..just replaced the olive oil with mustard oil coz her hair loves it and did not use heat method instead let the ingredients to infuse for 7-10 days and after that started using.

The best part abt home made oil is you can add number of things with it as and when you want (as I do) just keep on adding EOs incase the quantity changes

So far I', loving it the whole routine (oil massage, henna & wash with amla+shikakai+reetha and some times black tea rinses)

Type
    1a/F/ii

Unhappy Re: Indian Hair Please!

After 7-8 years of lurking on LHC I finally had to post on this thread! I'm Indian - born and raised in India and living in the US for the last decade.
    Like others have mentioned I too have had tail bone length hair from about 8 years old through my early 20s. I chopped it off to shoulder length and chin length and have grown it back to waist length 2-3 times in the last 8 years.
    Now I'm on my way back to waist/tailbone length from chin length. I have gone from chin o slightly below shoulder length in less than 6 months.

A quick peek into my hair care routine growing up and now:

Then
    =====
    My head was shaved when I was a year old. Its a cultural/religious custom to tonsure a baby's head. Thats when we get our ears pierced as well. Even the boys gets their ears pierced but no earrings.

Growing up mum lightly oiled my hair with coconut oil everyday before school and braided 2 braids that were doubled up and tied with ribbons. I did not use rubber ties/bands until i was almost 17.

The weekly head bath/hair wash - consisted of a heavy oiling with sesame oil which had been heated up with a pinch of tumeric and in the cold months - a single red chilli. It used to be pretty warm when it was massaged into the scalp. whatever was left over was applied to the ends and the hair was knotted up.

You spent the next half hour with a oily head and most likely a oily face and occasionally burning eyes (the whole body heat thing seemed to come into play)

The paste used to wash the hair was powdered shikakai (which contained a bunch a stuff). the powder was mixed with water and made into a thin watery paste and cooked on the stove - the mixture thickend up like oatmeal and this is what is rubbed into the scalp.

The hair needed a good scrubbing to get out all the oil and was rinsed with warm water several times and them tied up like a turban with a thin white towel.

Now - if you where taking oil bath it would also include oiling our entire body with coconut/sesame oil. To get out that oil mum would give me a powder which had mostly green gram powder(moong dal), kasturi tumeric(tumeric variety that is sweet smelling but non-staining) and nalangu powder (which is combination of fragrant roots and barks like vetiver). You scrubbed the powder all over and rinsed. Simple as that.

Now for the hair drying part - no combing wet hair. only air drying. After lunch, mum would heat up some charcoal till it was red hot and put it in a clay dish. Then some frankinscense(sambrani) would be sprinkled on it. This would make it smoke (much like a catholic service i think). She would then quickly cover it with a thick woven basket and I would put my hair on the basket. The purpose of the basket was to diffuse the sweet smoke and make the hair smell great!. Babies would just be held over the smoke to dry their hair and bums after a bath.

In the evening, the tangles would first be finger combed out - there will be a lot of gritty powder from the shikakai falling off. Then hair would be braided as always. There would be no oiling that day- only the next morning.

The shikakai powder contained the following - shikakai pods, equal quantities of rice and carbo rice (not sure what this is called in English. It used to look smaller than pepper corns), dried deseeded amla (called nelli mulli), dried hibiscus flowers, half a palmful of fenugreek seeds, vetiver (for fragrance) and some other unrecongizable stuff (we typically went to the Ayurveda store and asked for 200 gms of stuff for hair wash and the store helper wandered around the store and packed bits and pieces of stuff). All of this was typically dried in the sun for a day or two and then ground up at the mill (yes - like a corn/grist mill) those still exist in India to this day and we get our rice flour and wheat flour ground from scratch.

Given the effort involved and the exhorbitant price of shikakai these days - this oil bath powder is reserved for festive occasions. The rest of the time - its Meera Hair Care powder.

Hair Trimming
    ============
    Any good thing is always started on a new moon day since the moon is ascendant. Similary hair trimming was also done on a new moon day in the Tamil Month of Thai (mid Jan-mid Feb) or Maasi (mid Feb to mid-March). There was a little saying that if you trimmed in Thai you hair would roll to the "tharai"(floor in Tamil) and if you cut it Maasi it would roll to the "Madi"(lap in Tamil). Not sure if it actually works but it sure rhymed.

Now
    ====
    I have mostly kept up with the daily oilings and the weekly or even bi weekly hair washing. I try to use Meera as often possible with occasional use of cone-free shampoos. Conditioner is too heavy for me since I have fine straight hair.
    when time permits I use rice flour to condition - it makes my hair tangle free.

I use a hair dryer or a paper towel to soak up the water that my "white towel" did not get. I also remove any earrings and necklaces when I wash my hair to ensure they dont get tangled with my wet hair.

My 2.5 yr DD also had her head shaved a year ago and she gets daily oilings too - i switch between coconut and organic jojoba for her. Since she cries her heart when we wash her hair - we get to wash a hair only in 3-4 weeks. Surprisingly the oil keeps her hair clean and dirt free and comb it morning and before bed and tie it in a pony. She now has shoulder length hair.

The thing that I miss most about living in India is wearing flowers in my hair. There are so many jasmine varieties and so many types of flower combinations for garlands and hair. There are some that are not worn on the hair at all and some leaves so frangrant that you could smell them from across the room. I miss flowers!!

Length
    19/19/31
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Hi RavenLocksAgain,

It was a real treat to go through your write and get to know about the great hair care routine in practice at your place. I guess it is tradition of south if I am not mistaken and Indians from north cannot match the beautiful hair and the tradition of maintenance of hair in south.

Just a quick question..you mention rice powder being used with shikakai to wash hair..what was the benefit of it? Was that also boiled with shikakai and do you still use that?

Many thanks in advance

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    No. its not sesame oil. just sesa oil, ayurvedic oil . it has lot of useful ingredients

I will give the link u can check it

http://www.ayurvediccares.com/categories/oils.html
    I think I will order Sesa oil from ebay thanks to your recommendation, Kanaka! As I was just trying to decide which new hair oil to try, there are so many interesting ones Hopefully it will help with my growth, too. Although my hair is very different from Indian, but why wouldn't it help with all hair types?

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    I'm really interested in Indian hair care, even though my hair texture is very different from Indian, it responds very well to these treatments.
    Best scenario would be to find local herbs that would work a bit in the same way, I feel a bit bad when I buy Indian herbs, I have no idea how they are produced and then they are also shipped from such a long way away.
    But on the other hand, I think it's good to support countries that are less wealthy than we are, by buying products from those countries... So it's not such a simple issue...

Length
    TB/TB/class
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

@ Rosetta

Oh that's great, you made a decision to buy sesa oil. it helped my hair grow very well.

products respond in different way for different people. so we cant expect same results to the other person. i believe in this theory well It helps hair of all types but results may be different i guess

But in sesa oil so many useful ingredients are present, that's the reason i used it. Good Luck

Type
    1a/F/ii

Hi Shalini
    The purpose of the rice flour was to act as a detangler and provide slip. If you can imagine the gooeyness of soft cooked rice - its slippery - correct? It has the same effect on hair as well. I dont use it too often but mostly in winter when the cold air and lack of humidity make my hair full of static and i look like Einstein. I mix 2-3 tablespoons of rice flour in water - more depending on the length of your hair - you can make it as thin as you want and then cook it on the stove top till it changes color from the white powder to a cooked opaque white. It will thicken. You can add more water to get it to the consistency you would like to apply. You can smear it on after shampooing and combing with wide tooth comb or gently finger comb. Or you can make it really watery and slowly drizzle it in the hair as you finger comb. Think of it as dentangling with a slippery substance. Dont rub the hair together. Let it sit for a min or two and then rinse it thoroughly.
    I find that my hair tends to be straighter or more flat against my head when I do this - but it works in the winter months for me.
    HTH

Length
    TB/TB/class
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

@ Ravenlocksagain

Hi, i am from India too, South Indian. My mom used to care of my care the same way you have written. you brought my old memories back. yes i too got my head shaved when i was a year old but i didnt cut or trim my hair afterwards for 18 years then i started my hair to cut and now it ended my hair at hip length i am growing out now

Anyway, Welcome to LHC and happy growing