Thread: Where to buy essential oils?

Length
    20.5"/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Default Where to buy essential oils?

I'm looking into doing ACV rinses weekly now, as I tried one once and I liked the results. Of course, I hadn't enough ACV left to do another.. and never bought more XD. I've learned that essential oils can be added to to your ACV to provide further benefit. I'm interested.. but I don't know where, or even really what, to buy.

Do big stores like WalMart carry essential oils? If not, do health food stores? And would you have any suggestions for an essential oil to add for a brunette with hair that's mostly healthy beyond dry ends? I know there's a list of good ones for hair loss and all, but I don't really have that problem.. yet XD
    20" 21" 22" 23" 24" 25"26" 27" 28" 29"

Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Where to buy essential oils?

You might want to read this: Herb and Essential Oil Summary Chart
    Here is an abstract:
    "Normal Hair:
    EO’s: bergamont, clary sage, roman chamomile, geranium, lavender, orange, lemon, rose, rosemary, thyme, ylang ylang, lemon, patchouli. [...]

Hair loss/Growth Stimulating:
    EO’s: basil, cajute, carrot seed, cedarwood, clary sage, cypress, eucalyptus, juniper, lavender, orange, peppermint, rosemary, clary sage, thyme, ylang ylang, lemon, yarrow, lemon balm, parsley.
    "
    I'd say a health food store should have it but you could always find it online if you do a search for it. Good luck!

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I get mine at the Health Food Store. I get the Aura Cacia brand. I tried to get some cheaper brands at other places but they smelled terrible and I ended up throwing them away so cheaper is not always better.

I just use what smells good to me. Sometimes I put sandlewood in my mister or lavendar in my oiling mix. I know rosemary is good for the scalp but I just go by what I want my hair to smell like mostly.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    20.5"/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Thanks for the responses! It looks like health food stores are my best bet. And I'll have to research the benefits of the listed oils.. and check that thread . Also, the Aura Cacia.. since you use them mainly for the smell of your hair, are their oils fragrance oils or actual pure essential oils? I've come to understand there's a difference in the two.
    20" 21" 22" 23" 24" 25"26" 27" 28" 29"

Length
    15/32.5/40
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I get almost all of my essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs. They have great prices (though shipping can sometimes be more than I'd expect) and their essential oils are far superior to any other brands I have - and I have about six different brands (I bought a large personal collection) including Aura Cacia. If you can't order from Mountain Rose Herbs, I'd say Aura Cacia is the best store brand you can get. And yes, they are pure essential oils, not fragrance oils.
    From chin in March 2012 to APL in March 2013 and on to BSL in the future...

Located in Elkridge, Maryland (USA) and Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

I definitely do find the health stores are more expensive then buying the essential oils online personally

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I like to check the scents at my local Health Food Stores, because I'm very scent-sensitive and some things just turn my stomach.

But you can buy them online if you know which ones you want. Aura Cacia has both carrier oils and essential oils. You can check it all out at their website: http://www.auracacia.com/

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I normally buy my EOs online. I am a soapmaker and have LOTS of them... the price difference from a tiny bottle in the stores can be amazing (i.e. same price for a much larger bottle online). I like Mountain Rose Herbs as someone else already mentioned, I also like EO University and have heard good things (although not personally bought) from Camden Grey.

As for brunette hair EOs... I have always found rosemary EO to help the darker tones in my light brown hair... and it is good for the scalp and smells nice too. I also tend to use cedarwood and lavender as well, but I have a sensitive scalp and they seem to help. They tend to be fairly inexpensive as well (with certain species of the family anyhow).
    Hope that helps!

~Amie

Essential Oil University

http://essentialoils.org/