Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 3a+ who are using oil shampoo

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: 3a+ who are using oil shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    The Great Oil Shampoo Experiment is officially over.

I have been using oil shampoo for almost 4 months. At first I had great shine and nice ringlets. Over time, though, my 3a/b hair turned into 2b/c hair, which doesn't work for me.
    I had a very hard time getting decent 2nd day hair with oil shampoo.
    I agree with you Girlcat on pretty much everything!! Especially the part I quoted. I do wear my hair up 90% of the time, however I still need the curls for it to look good in upstyles. I have short regrowth (from when I stopped dyeing) and I need that to curl in ringlets.....with oil shampoo it was sticking out straight and my hair was flat to my head with no body.

I just CO'ed and the ringlets are back. Loving it

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Length
    28"/class/class
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I just wanted to let everyone know that from now on, I'll be reporting my results in my blog (see sig for link). I've been having to actually search for my own results because the big oil shampoo thread is soooo huge. For my own organization and success, it's just better/easier for me to post in my blog. The first post will likely be either late tonight or tomorrow, since I'm getting ready to hit the shower now.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Subscribed Speedy!!

I'm officially off the MS method. I'm just loving my curls right now (mostly all 3a today!!) and it's making it easier to grow out my silvers when my hair looks good overall

It's great to try things though and to find out what will work for our own individual hair types!

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Long Haired Bible Thumper Debra83's Avatar
    Length
    ear/bsl/HIP
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I've been experimenting too! I can be very curly or wavy depending what I do in the drying process.(see albums), but I've been trying the coconut oil shampoo with different shampoos, but I find I'm scared not to put in a conditioner after - I'm still using the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (no cones) one. this pic was taken a few moments ago, after working all day and bowling for 3 hours - no brushing or combing after getting out of the shower this morning at all. It definitely looks a little wind blown and it's about -13 C I've been running around in today, but it is sooooo soft, and my shinies are definitely still there. Today, I used approx. the same amount of coconut oil to my 2 in 1 Johnson's baby shampoo, and then the conditioner. I'm still liking the feel of my hair, and that it dries quicker. A little concerned of the reports of more splits being noticed by some, so am keeping an eye on my ends closely.

February 07, 2011
    Debra LHBT
    December 25, 2013 - length check -12t/1 cut
    Lady Aedos of the Pureheart Grace in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

So glad this thread exists, I had the same problem as OP - wanted to find info about curlies and wurlies using this method and had a hell of a time trying to sift through the original thread...

So far I've had FANTASTIC results as far as the condition of my hair is concerned. My current shampoo choice is Garnier Fructis and it is messing with my curls. I have great curl definition for the first day after washing, but then they look a bit flat, clumpy and look dreadful if I try to comb, even finger comb. I wonder if this is something to do with the cones in the shampoo. It's been years since I used any cones and it's been years since anything had this effect on my wurls!

Think I'll wash again tonight (even though I'm not due to wash) and try a cone-free shampoo. I started the oil shampoo method using Nizoral shampoo to clear up a problem I was having with my scalp and that shampoo worked PERFECTLY, but it's medicated so can't be used over the long-term

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Chibbylick View Post
    My hair is not as curly as you girls, but I am wondering why, instead of thinking about adding leave-in conditioner to your routine, you don't add more coconut oil as a leave in?
    That's what I do if my hair is a little fluffy, dry or frizzy in between washes. Works fine for me. Maybe it's because we're not super-curly? I'm only 2c/3a...

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

Pariate, I'm a 2c/3a too and am finding that this method is making my curls go away. I have conditioned hair and there is a lot less frizz but I can't keep my curls.

I just washed yesterday with a 3:1 ratio of oil to shampoo and my hair is not weighted, frizzy or oily or anything negative, just not very curly.

Length
    20 in/44.5/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I tried this method on my curly dd, and it was *not* a good choice for her. Her hair loves CO washing and olive oil as leave-in. I thought this might be a way for her to use coconut oil, but it completely made her ends dry and crunchy in a way I had never, ever seen before. It was better when it dried than when it was wet, but as others are mentioning here, she has better curls with CO, and it was still not a nice texture when dry.

btw, what we used on her was 1:1 coconut oil to Suave shampoo after clarifying with a baking soda rinse. We followed with a ACV rinse.

Since we have a method that works well for her, I'm not going to experiment around much with this for her. It worked great on my hair from the get-go, but I am barely wavy compared to her. I generally guestimate that she is probably around 3a curl.
    43.5 in....monthly 1/4-inch trims since Dec 2009
    Finally embracing my locks in their natural beauty
    "...for if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her..."