Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 3a+ who are using oil shampoo

Type
    3b/F/M/iii

Default Re: 3a+ who are using oil shampoo

Girlcat, I use whatever conditioner I have on hand. Today it was a Suave one. Ocean mist I think. It keeps the frizz down and helps with curl formation. I do also put extra coconut on my hair sometimes prior to washing. My hair likes it this way. If I use coconut by itself my hair does not like it so much.

Lady Madghe, Queen of the Curls of Beauty in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~
    http://silvermoonharehandcrafts.blogspot.com/

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

QueenMadge: wouldn't using conditioner with this method necessitate clarifying again at the next wash?

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    QueenMadge: wouldn't using conditioner with this method necessitate clarifying again at the next wash?
    Only if your goal is optimal/saturation. I asked ktani about this, and she said I won't get as much lauric acid building up in the cortex, but some is better than none!
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

ah....ok then. I think I understand that. It might be a good option for me then too as coconut oil shampoo method alone does not give me any good curl formation.

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Type
    3b/F/M/iii

I don't use a conditioner with cones in it. I also do not use a lot of it. I do clarify every 5 or so oil shampoos. I go by how my hair feels and looks. I cannot get good curls by itself until just before saturation and then I am clarifying anyway after that when my hair starts to look too oily. This is what works for me and as we all know our bodies/hair/etc. don't react the same to the same things;-).

Lady Madghe, Queen of the Curls of Beauty in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Length
    28"/class/class
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    Speedy--thanks for checking in. I like to wear my hair down, so I'm really trying to get 2nd and 3rd day curls out of this method. So no conditioner at all?
    Correct! In fact, that was one of the main reasons why I decided to try oil shampoo. I really wanted to quit being on the Conditioner Roller Coaster. So many conditioners have junk in them my hair hates, and they reformulate the good ones seemingly all the darned time to make them bad. So I got fed up and was hoping to find *something* to get me off that ride.

So far, it seems oil shampoo is going to be "it." I'm having generally very decent to good results most of the time. But yes, I have very different goals for my hair than you do. I don't believe I would have stuck with the oil shampoo method if I still wore my hair down all the time like I did back in my early LHC days. It's hard to say, because I washed more frequently back then and I would have been much further along with the experiment.

Good luck and I hope that you find the right combo of product and technique to make this work for you the way you want it to.

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Just washed using my new method, and if it dries the same way it looks wet, I will be super happy! I did an ACV rinse, water rinse, clarified since I had used manic panic (which didn't really show up), used 1:1 prell:nutiva coconut oil, then used a nickel sized blob of conditioner, a dime sized blob of gel, and a couple drops of coconut oil mixed together as a leave in. Curl formation looks perfect when wet, if a little less voluminous than with oil shampoo alone. I'll give a full update when it's dry!
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Type
    3b/F/M/iii

Is anyone else noticing tiny splits in the ends of your hair after starting this? I am wondering if the tangling I was having in the beginning before adding conditioner back in was enough to cause that? I have had two hairdressers in the last four months tell me my hair looked great but I just found a bunch of tiny splits.....

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by QueenMadge View Post
    Is anyone else noticing tiny splits in the ends of your hair after starting this? I am wondering if the tangling I was having in the beginning before adding conditioner back in was enough to cause that? I have had two hairdressers in the last four months tell me my hair looked great but I just found a bunch of tiny splits.....
    I did notice a couple splits, but I also over-clarified a time or two, so I attribute my issues to that. My hair is quite split prone anyway.

As for me, my hair dried looking fantastic!!! After sleeping on it and re-scrunching with just water, curl formation is there, shine is there, haven't combed it but I'm guessing it's close to tangle free, the only thing that could even be slightly negative is that it's not as voluminous as it was with oil shampoo alone, but trading off a little volume for definition is just fine with me!

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I would never have thought that my hair could be limp, stringy, frizzy, and oily all in one go.
    But it is today after my oil shampoo!
    Bah! I'll never get it right!
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights