Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CURLIES: To brush or not to brush?

Length
    APL/HL/WL
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Default Re: CURLIES: To brush or not to brush?

Quote Originally Posted by pretty wings View Post
    I have type 4 afro-textured hair and attempted to brush to brush my hair recently. On wash days, I first comb my hair with a wide tooth comb, taking my time to get rid of big knots with my fingers, then I use my Denman. I have the D31 which has the bristles spaced out. It turns my hair into a giant puff which is cool for when I want it.
    I would never used a boar bristle brush, either they are too hard and break off my hair or they are too soft and do nothing.
    If you decide to brush you kinks and curls be very careful, gentle, and patient. I would not use it all the time because I did notice that it broke some of my healthy hair off but it did get all my shed hair out. Honestly, I don't think it is necessary to brush our hair since curly hair naturally tangles on its own regardless of being detangled.

I usually comb my hair with a wide tooth comb when wet then separate my hair and distribute oil to each section with my fingers. For a scalp massage I use my fingers as well. I rarely ever brush my hair and when I do I usually use a denman and its often only to help distribute product. The last few times I did my hair I didn't brush it at all and I liked it. I think I'm giving up on the brushes.

Length
    APL/42/here!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

I only finger-comb, and that's when I'm in the shower with a head full of conditioner.
    A few people mentioned scalp massages/stimulation--I'm still able to do them just fine even though I don't run my fingers through my (dry) hair. Of course, if you want to distribute your natural oils from your scalp down the length of your hair, then you would have to run your fingers through the length...however, when I apply jojoba oil, I just put some on my palms and run them over the surface of my hair down to the ends...it may not be the best way to distribute the oil but is seems to work well enough (and is way better than disrupting my curl pattern!)

Cat Lady, Yarn Maker, Trail Seeker

Length
    buzz/TBL/long!
    Type
    3a/F/iii

I think the "brush to distribute scalp oils" recommendation is based on straight hair. It made my adolescence a nightmare of giant hair! I saw a young teenage girl in a store the other day with that same hair, and felt such a pang of sympathy and affection!

Type
    3a/M/ii

I comb in the shower, from the scalp to a tangle, then pull the tangle apart by hand. I do this until the comb goes all the way to the ends. I don't brush. I don't use condish either, but it's always well oiled.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    24/32.5/38
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I lose so much hair if I brush! The only time I can get away with it is if my hair is oiled and several days post wash, and maybe only a few times per year. All other times, I CO and rinse, then detangle with a wide-toothed comb. On the first day I have ringlets, then a large poof with waves and curls.

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I brush my hair right before I get in the shower. I always had tangles still when I tried using a wide-tooth comb.
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Type
    3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by milagro View Post
    I only brush very rarely and only when I am going to wash my hair right after that. Any brushing makes my hair a huge poofball.
    Same here, but I have to admit that a brush does feel good to the ol' scalp every once in awhile.

Lady Myhriss of Beauty Afire

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Any brushing I do is related to curly-hair-care rather than curly-hair-styling.

As Sanyia mentioned, a Tangle Teezer can be used for detangling dry hair prior to braiding or an updo. Or if I'm oiling my hair, I'll use a TT or a BBB to distribute the oil.

The majority of my detangling is done in the shower, while coated with a slippery conditioner, using a wide-toothed comb. Once I'm out of the shower, nothing touches my hair but my fingers (unless I'm doing one of the things mentioned earlier).

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

I use a BBB for styling, mostly to style puffs or ponytails. For detangling, I only use a shower comb.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Im only a wavy and brushing turns me into queen of the frizz, i dread to think what brushing would do to a curly haired person.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip