Quote Originally Posted by pretty wings View Post
I have type 4 afro-textured hair and attempted to brush to brush my hair recently. On wash days, I first comb my hair with a wide tooth comb, taking my time to get rid of big knots with my fingers, then I use my Denman. I have the D31 which has the bristles spaced out. It turns my hair into a giant puff which is cool for when I want it.
I would never used a boar bristle brush, either they are too hard and break off my hair or they are too soft and do nothing.
If you decide to brush you kinks and curls be very careful, gentle, and patient. I would not use it all the time because I did notice that it broke some of my healthy hair off but it did get all my shed hair out. Honestly, I don't think it is necessary to brush our hair since curly hair naturally tangles on its own regardless of being detangled.

I usually comb my hair with a wide tooth comb when wet then separate my hair and distribute oil to each section with my fingers. For a scalp massage I use my fingers as well. I rarely ever brush my hair and when I do I usually use a denman and its often only to help distribute product. The last few times I did my hair I didn't brush it at all and I liked it. I think I'm giving up on the brushes.