Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CURLIES: To brush or not to brush?

Length
    APL/HL/WL
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Question CURLIES: To brush or not to brush?

Hey curlies! Do you guys brush your hair or only use a big tooth comb and your fingers? I brush, but sparingly and I only use really soft brushes...denman, boar bristle, etc... I've heard a lot of curlies use Denman brushes...I've also heard it said that curly hair should NEVER be brushed. What do you guys think?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    16/16/24

Default Re: CURLIES: To brush or not to brush?

I never brush only comb, and use a wide comb and only do so when hair is wet with conditioner, brushes pull out all the curl

I never brush. I don't even use a comb anymore. Fingers through conditioner-soaked here is all I need to detangle.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I only brush very rarely and only when I am going to wash my hair right after that. Any brushing makes my hair a huge poofball.
    I have a stockpile of wide-tooth combs but I don't comb if I want a curly look. If I do I will have big waves with only ringlets in the ends, and an amount of frizz.
    My latest and favorite comb is super wide-toothed and I can comb lightly with it, though. It doesn't ruin the wave-curl pattern and is absolutely genius in detangling

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

I can only second what Milagro said.

ETA: Avatar - no brushing/combing; siggie pic - brushed. See the difference?
    Russian girl in America; No goal length - just want to enjoy the journey.

Length
    15/20/40
    Type
    2c/F/M/i

I have read somewhere that we have to brush our hair everyday because we do massage on the scalp and the oil goes to the ends..also except the oil the massage is good for hair follicles because something happend with the blood there when we do it I dont rememeber...is that wrong?

Length
    24/31/36
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have a tangle teezer that I use to detangle/distribute oil, or before a shower to CO. I mainly finger comb, and I have a nice wide comb.

Length
    Waist/Waist/Hip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pop View Post
    I have read somewhere that we have to brush our hair everyday because we do massage on the scalp and the oil goes to the ends..also except the oil the massage is good for hair follicles because something happend with the blood there when we do it I dont rememeber...is that wrong?
    Brushing does stimulate the scalp, but curlies can't brush everyday or it will cause major damage and frizzies galore!

I only comb in the shower when wet, and finger comb to distribute product.

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

No brushing for me. I use a wide tooth comb to distribute conditioner and detangle while I am COing.
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Length
    TWA/APL/BSL
    Type
    4b/M/ii

I have type 4 afro-textured hair and attempted to brush to brush my hair recently. On wash days, I first comb my hair with a wide tooth comb, taking my time to get rid of big knots with my fingers, then I use my Denman. I have the D31 which has the bristles spaced out. It turns my hair into a giant puff which is cool for when I want it.
    I would never used a boar bristle brush, either they are too hard and break off my hair or they are too soft and do nothing.
    If you decide to brush you kinks and curls be very careful, gentle, and patient. I would not use it all the time because I did notice that it broke some of my healthy hair off but it did get all my shed hair out. Honestly, I don't think it is necessary to brush our hair since curly hair naturally tangles on its own regardless of being detangled.