Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Fine/Thin Hair Heads & wearing your hair down

Quote Originally Posted by Masara View Post
    I love this comment!

I don't like hair in my face either. I let my hair down to show some pupils last year and I managed 20 minutes before I gave up and grabbed a hairstick.
    This means that as soon as it was long enough to bun (around shoulder) then up it went and I've rarely worn it down since.

My hair is "floaty" and tangles easily, so wearing it down means that it will look good for half an hour and then start rat-tailing or I'll have to brush it out all the time.
    I usually "force myself" to wear my hair down some days, but if I give up by lunch-time (the tangles, etc, etc, etc), I just braid it or do a half-updo, and then maybe at mid-afternoon I loose it again. And that's my general routine . Yesterday, for example, it was loose - half-up - three strand braid - loose again with slender headband (and some braid waves ).

Length
    14"/19"/40"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

I am like Heidi and Sword Woman (!), but I didn't realize that was one of the issues.
    My DH hates it up. He loves my hair down. But when it's down
    it gets messy, feels hot, and within 30 minutes, usually, I pop it up.
    I hate hair in my face. I didn't identify this as the main issue, but....thank you! Now I realize that hair in my face drives me crazy, err.....
    My hair is very fine, but thick, and maybe it's the fine-ness that makes it annoying? I love the silkiness, but I know when it gets longer I'll have some of the issues everyone else has. Also, I hate in cold weather when it gets tangled in my scarf or in wind, whips around and gets tangled.
    I think I'll start putting it in a loose braid to the side on really cold days where I have to wear a hat.

Length
    pixie/Hip/Class
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I only wear it up when the weather is hot or I am doing a physical activity, otherwise, it is always down. I didn't like updos most of my life, so I don't do them often.

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Rarely. I'm tailbone right now and don't wear it down too often. If I do wear it down it is in summer when there is no wind and I'd be standing most of the day. Then it doesn't get as tangled. But otherwise I wear it up almost all the time. It's just easier. And sometimes I can't stand the look of my hair down because it's so thin.

Account Closed by Member Request

I liked wearing my hair down when I had an all one length bob that hit my chin. Ever since then it is too stringy to wear down so I usually braid it so I don't have to look at it and deal with the snarls, pulling and tangles that instantly happen once it is down.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I don't like wearing my hair down as it gets longer because it doesn't hang like the beautiful curtain of hair I envisioned. It's babyfine and sticks to my shirt and splays out and generally looks unkempt.
    I am terrible at updos. The combination of fine, thin and curly makes updos difficult. Slippery near the roots and tangly on the length.
    I don't even like how I look in an updo.
    It's usually in a plain ponytail, I guess.
    Last edited by girlcat36; January 12th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    2"/27"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

My hair is rather fine and thin too. I wear it down sometimes at home, but ever since I have gotten past shoulder length, I get overheated really easily by my hair and have to put it up. I wear my hair up pretty much 24/7, and braid it at night.. if I do have it down and loose, its usually just after I washed or I had a concert or something that I had to bun my hair damp for. I find that if I do damp bunning too, it gives it more of a curl and wave so that it doesn't just hang there or look really thin. If you are self-conscious about wearing it down, try a single braid over one shoulder, or two braided pigtails. They protect you hair but show off length and look cute too.

I wouldn't be self-conscious about it though. Any time that I've ever worn my hair down, I just get compliments on it. When you wear it up a lot though, it is kind of a shock factor to people when you let it down =)

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

To answer your question I would say I was more comfortable wearing it down when it was shorter, right around BSL. I am right around classic now, and it seems like all my hair does is get stringy if I don't brush it every second, it's rather annoying and makes me feel paranoid that it looks bad. I'm guessing it's a combination of fine hair, naturally stick straight hair, and thin ends from not cutting over the years. When my hair was shorter I had a thicker hemline and didn't notice it getting stringy as much so I'm hoping once I maintain for a while and get rid of these thin ends that I won't have to deal with it as much!

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Length
    SL/35"/clssc
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Qamar View Post
    My hair is a couple of inches shy of classic length and I love wearing it down, but there are limited occasions when I do. Its almost always up at work because I'm a nurse and it'll get in the way.
    Me tooooo! Even up, it can drive me crazy at work. Two days ago at work 3 of my 4 patients were isolation rooms 'cause of MRSA or whatnot. I kept having to pull gowns off and on, and of course whenever I got into the iso room my (fine, silky) hair would pull loose of its bun and get in my face and I COULDN'T SCRATCH AAAARGH!

It'd be beyond all reason if I tried to wear it loose.
    Lady Pepper of the Silver Tongue in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

Length
    bald/back/long
    Type
    1a/F/i

My hair is only down when it's drying. Used to be daily, now it's about 2x a week. I also don't like having hair in my face, or my neck. In hot and humid weather, hair on the neck is so uncomfortable! The moment it was long enough to tie up, around shoulder or so, I stopped wearing it down.

My hair doesn't look good down a few hours after drying, anyway. No volume, so lies flat on my head. But I'm much happier with it up-- easier to maintain and less handling/playing.