Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fine hair: layers vs. all one length

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Fine hair: layers vs. all one length

All one length for sure. My hair looks so thin with layers, I feel like I lost half the volume. I will hopefully have this engraved on my brain, so I never ask for layers ever again. Layering slightly in the front can be ok, but never the back.

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyJubilee View Post
    For me I think all one length is better. My hair is very fine, on the low end of ii, and perfectly straight. I think layers would just look like chunks of broken off hair, and I've got enough of those I'm trying to grow out without adding more on purpose. It would probably look like my bottom/longest layer only had like 5 hairs in it.
    HoneyJubilee, the last line of your post made me laugh. So cute, that's what I'm dealing with right now, and I used to have such nice hair!

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I vote for all one length. I generally only like layers in very wavy to curly hair, personally. My hair is straight with a slight slight wave to it and doesn't look that great with layers.

Length
    14 in/18 in/22 in

I am just wanting to revive this discussion. I have an oblong face and long straight hair lines against that face shape really do drag down my features. I have tried growing down my fine collar bone length hair to one length to thicken it up. It may even be bsl at the moment. I ended up feeling depressed at how unflattering it was... all the time.

Now, I am so blessed to have found a hairdresser local to me in South London. He really listens and shares my taste.

He has told me that we can add an extra two inches to my length by growing all the layers down but having just one invisible layer at cheekbone length.

He also feathered a few pieces onto the face to break up the straight down effect. Result, I maintain my length and benefit from the softening effect of the one layer and a side-swept fringe accompanied by very light shaping onto the face. I am delighted. Whenever I go in for my side swept fringe to be trimmed, he will also trim up the pieces that come onto my face (this is all for free) and I will be able to go for a full trim once every 3 months. Very economical. I am delighted. Find a hairdresser who listens and will work with you.

Incidentally, this guy is also great because he encourages me to let some grey sprinkles to grow through to create natural highlights in my hair rather than a severe monotone colour. I do my own colour at home.

I am so pleased.

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I categorized my hair as F/M, but it is mostly fine. I have layers (as seen in my signature photo) but I am not a fan of them. They were great when my hair was APL and I would blow dry it all the time, but now that I am passing BSL, they just make my hair look thinner at the bottom. I could cut four inches off of my hair and be done with most of my layers, but i've been slowly taking off 1/2 inch every three months so I get some length as well. Hopefully I will be rid of those four inches by mid-late spring.

I may keep some face-framing layers in the future, but nothing like what the stylist did to my hair when I began to actively grow it out.
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    9 in/17/23
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I have very straight fine hair. I love the look of a blunt edge, some subtle layering can really work wonders in creating movement and shape - but obvious large layers (i mean long in between each level) look choppy and bad on me.

I currently have all one length hair - if you were to go for layers I would choose face framing ones and steer clear of the back and lengths.

Kapri - your hairdresser sounds wonderful! could you say where in SL is he working?

Length
    Nape/28.5/30
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I have fine hair with face framing layers, in the back I only have 2 long layers, the shortest one is less than 2 inches shorter than the longest. I used to have a blunt hemline, but I prefer having some layers because it adds body, waves and volume to my hair.

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I had long layers and a steep U-shaped hemline. I loved it. If you can find a great stylist, then it can be awesome. It was harder to keep up with splits because layers require more dedicated S&D, and can be annoying for updos, but I loved my layers when I had them. Now, I have a blunt cut, and I love that too! I don't think one looks better than the other for me, but I'm keeping it blunt because I'm trimming it myself, and it's much easier for me to do this way. I think it's easier to grow out a blunt cut than to gain length with layers. When you get a trim with layers, stylists have a tendency to cut back the length too.

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I have fine hair with average thickness,had layers to mid back but my hem looked too thin so I grew them out,am now hip with no layers.No layers helps my hair and braids look a bit thicker and makes french braids and buns easier for me to do.

Length
    14 in/18 in/22 in

bbridgie,

He's in Streatham. I really rate him. I have been to many hair cutters over the years. Let me know if you want me to pm you his details,

Kapri