Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best oil for fine hair?

Length
    14"/25"/31"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Question Best oil for fine hair?

Excuse me if this is repetitive - I cannot use search right and didn't see any articles about it.

I have very fine blonde hair, almost totally straight, and now that it is below my shoulders, the ends need some TLC. Which oil would be best to put on the ends as a leave-in and daily conditioner?
    BSL to above the jaw bob now lob and headed back down

Length
    short/Shldr/BSL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Re: Best oil for fine hair?

I am by no means an expert, but I have very fine hair too. Coconut oil works well for me. It seems to absorb nicely and doesn't make my hair too heavy. Provided I use a small amount of course

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think it's usually a trial-and-error thing, though I'd say that usually straighter-haired folks like lighter oils than curly-haired folks, who don't mind a bit of clumping.

Give coconut oil a shot to start with. Apply just a tiny bit (like the amount you can scrape up under a fingernail) to start with, and try it on damp and on dry hair. Dry hair is easier to gauge when you've used enough but not too much, but some people prefer the results from damp hair.

Some other oils you might like are camellia oil and jojoba oil. But start with coconut -- it's got some demonstrated hair-helping properties that these other oils don't have, and it's relatively easy to find.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    14"/25"/31"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Thank you both so much! Is there an article about putting it on damp vs dry?
    BSL to above the jaw bob now lob and headed back down

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I'm also in favor of coconut oil. If you can get hold of fractionated coconut oil, that's even better!

I've used a few different oils and oil/beeswax mixes, and those are what I prefer to date.

Length
    bsl/hip/fairy
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I have fine hair too...

Coconut oil works very well for me! sometimes I also sleep with some olive oil on the lenght (just the night before washing, because olive oil tends to put a layer around the hair, which prevents moisture to go in. It is a good way to protect the hair. Coconut oil penetrates the hair better and is a better moisturizer from within).

What also works very well is the Yes to cucumbers leave-in conditioner
    Faber quisque fortunae suae
    sl(e)s & cone-free
    Waist/hip lenght henna streaks

Length
    22"/31.5"/CLSC
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I have straight hair like you, and oils tend to weight it down. I like using either a tiny, tiny bit of coconut oil -or- 4 drops of NightBlooming's Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil applied to *wet* hair, just on the length. I've personally found that if I apply any oils to dry hair, it ends up looking greasy on me.

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I have very fine hair and prefer grapeseed oil and/or rosehipseed oil (extra special bonus as these are the oils my skin prefers as well). I really only like coconut oil in the summer or when I am spending time in chlorinated water.

As others have said, trial and error are the best ways to go. There were some oils I put in I knew immediately were all wrong and some I was ambivalent about. It is nice though when you experiment with oils that you can cook with because that way at least they don't go to waste.

Some of the mentions on this topic:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=6810
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...+effectiveness

Hope these helped.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

Putting oil on damp hair helps seal in the moisture and make your ends soft. Oil on dry hair works best as a prewash treatment. This is in my experience but it varies between people. Start off with a teeny tiny amount and rub your hands together before patting it on your ends. I get even coverage that way. Let us know if it works

Length
    33"/34.5/37"
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Coconut and jojoba are my favorite oils.