Thread: How often do you clarify?

Length
    23/24/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I am just wondering if clarifying too often is bad for hair? I use no cones, CO wash, CWC, and sometimes organic shampoo. I use diluted head & shoulders once a week to get rid of dandruff; and that one contains dimethicone and sulfate in it, I couldnt find a dandruff shampoo without those ingredients

I've been clarifying once a month with SUAVE clarifying shampoo. Is that too much? Do I really need it?

How often do you clarify? which shampoo do you use?

And if you do clarify, is there any special treatment you use before or after it?
    Last edited by Sophiawavyhair; January 4th, 2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: One more question ...

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Default Re: How often do you clarify?

I think once a month is fine. I do it about once every two weeks with an avalon organics shampoo (sulfates) and my hair seems fine with it. I wish I could find a good clairifying shampoo without SLS but no luck yet .

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I just clarified for the first time after about six weeks of CO. I used Garnier something something with SLS.

Knit, love, sign.
    Lisa Monster's 101 in 1001

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I do it about once a month or whenever I feel my hair looks and feels like it needs it. Just thought I'd mention, Suave clarifying shampoo HAS cones. I know, I didn't realize it either, but I thought you might want to know.
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I clarify every 4-6 weeks with a cheap White Rain clarifying shampoo and follow with a cassia treatment, then a deep treatment. It's my once a month (or so) hair pampering day.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

To me your routine doesn't sound like it would need a clarifying shampoo at all, if that's all you're using (I'm assuming you're not using styling products since you didn't list them?)
    Dimethicone in a shampoo will rinse out along with the shampoo.
    I never "clarify" unless you count using a quarter-sized amount of sulfate-free shampoo sometimes instead of a dime-sized amount ...my scalp gets too dry and flaky if I use too much shampoo or too harsh of a shampoo.

Length
    SL/APL/waist

I never clarify. I shampoo once a month, if that counts. I just never feel the need to do so.

Length
    23/24/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elphie View Post
    I do it about once a month or whenever I feel my hair looks and feels like it needs it. Just thought I'd mention, Suave clarifying shampoo HAS cones. I know, I didn't realize it either, but I thought you might want to know.

Omg I just checked the ingredients and it does have cones (O_o).

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jaine View Post
    To me your routine doesn't sound like it would need a clarifying shampoo at all, if that's all you're using
    I agree. I just clarified for the first time in about two years, because I wanted to try the oil-shampoo method. I used Neutrogena Anti-Residue. Before that, I never felt the need, since I don't use cones and don't have mineral buildup from my water.