Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maca Root for Hair Growth?

Length
    25.5/37.5/45.0
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Maca Root for Hair Growth?

I'm about to start taking it for menopausal (depression) relief, but I also read that it can help promote hair growth and quality. Anybody out there have any experience with this?

Length
    18"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Ooooohhhh.............I do not know, but will be following this closely..........I had not heard of Maca for Menopausal relief......only Wild Yam or Indian Red Clover.

I have been 'flashing' terribly...........Let's learn together!!

I had always heard that was for the libido.......which wikipedia just said also.......anyone?
    Last edited by Gumball; January 20th, 2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Combined posts.
    Proudly renegray and growing on!!

Length
    25.5/37.5/45.0
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Maca Root for Hair Growth?

The maca root is supposed to directly effect your endocrine system which is what creates and regulates all the hormones in your body. It is supposed to feed and support that entire system with everything it needs to work properly. It balances your hormones, relieves depression and mood swings, stops or reduces hot flashes and night sweats, elevates mood, etc. It's considered a Super Food because it is so loaded with nutrients and vitamens. It's good for potency and libido, but apparently most people get it for the menopoause relief.

I've been having some depression for probably about a year and a half now, started by a bad situation/trauma and then added to by a couple more bad situations, and I just can't seem to shake it. It was in deciding that the maca root might help me when I also read that it is supposed to promote hair growth and quality. I know it can't possibly be the miracle it sounds like, but if it can just help me beat this depression and give me a little more energy, I'll be happy.

But I am curious if anybody here had tried it for the hair growth aspect. I found one Thread here where it was mentioned in regards to thyroid regulation with fabulous results, but I haven't read anything about the hair growth.

Length
    18"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Topaz,

Do you have an online source for this, by chance?

Length
    25.5/37.5/45.0
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I actually researched tons of sites on the maca root when I was learning about it and deciding whether or not it might be able to help me out. There were only a couple of them that specifically mentioned hair growth and quality as an effect of the maca root. They mostly talk about the more widely known benefits of menopausal relief, libido improvement; also several sites talk about people being able to stop taking thyroid medicine after taking the maca root for awhile; also improved energy and athletic performance. The hair growth/quality was listed as, I guess you might call them 'additional benefits' but not the main focus, and like I said, that was only on a couple of the many many sites I visited. That's why I figured I'd ask on here, because if anyone would know if it really is good for hair or not, it would be someone on this site!

But if it really does regulate the hormones as fantastically as they say it does, then logically that would benefit people's hair too. Just balancing the thyroid by itself would make a huge difference in the hair. Like I said, I'll be taking it for the menopausal relief, but if it helps hair too, well, that would be icing on the cake!

The only site I can remember off-hand that specifically mentioned hair growth/quallity is http://www.cliffscott.com/maca.htm and it is in the list of additional benefits for women. If no one on here has any experience with it, then I will happily be the guinea pig and let everyone know if I see faster hair growth or whatever after I've been taking it for awhile.

ETA: I should point out that I'm not stupid, and I'm a firm believer in the old adage that 'if it sounds too good to be true,' etc. But I'm also a firm believer in not putting chemicals and man-made medications into my body if I can find a natural alternative that does the same thing. There's no way the maca root can do everything they claim it can, I know that, but I still think it's worth trying out. If it can just relieve my depression and give me a little more energy, I'll be happy.
    Last edited by Gumball; January 20th, 2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Combined posts into ETA.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I hope not to sound rude, but what is your definition of "man made chemicals"?
    If a chemical is made by a plant it can be as dangerous as any chemical made in a lab, some of the most lethal poisons are made by moulds and fungi, and are perfectly "natural".
    You should be extremely cautious in using any chemical, man made or natural, that has not been tested properly, especially if it is supposed to have an effect on your hormones regulation.
    Plant extract can be wonderful but the amounts of active components in the extract can vary enormously from batch to batch, and so can the effects, side effects and interactions with other chemicals in your body.

Length
    18"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

No, no sweetie.........I meant do you have an online source for buying it.

I know the *only* place near me that might have it is an hour away and hard for me to get to.....soooo.........just thinking, that if you had found a good online source, I would rather order it.

My menopause is making me crazy...er.... The hot flashes are awful and my guy is *so helpful* He'll reach over and touch me and say, 'you're flashing again'. Geee..........thanks dude, I hadn't noticed!!

Plus, I have noticed that though I have not eaten as well as I normally do, the weight, especially around my midsection is NOT what it should be.

I realize it could be any number of things, thyroid, hormones, etc.....but I always rather trying natural remedies as opposed to chemical/medicinal ones, if I can.

I know my hormones have whacked out with this menopause and I'm not happy about it......I do my best to keep it in check but notice that I have become much more sensitive about things and my guy has noticed it too.

Early Menopause runs in my family, ( I am only 44) my mother and grandmother had theirs in their early 40's also. They chose the chemicals, I don't. PMU and synthetics.......no thank you. Women of past handled it with natural methods and that is my preference. Lucklily, my guy is in full support of this.......he did say the other day, if we need to go get you pills, then we will do that. Ummm.............not only no, but H*LL no..... I'll tough it out or go natural.

I'm really glad you started this thread, as I was hoping for something. Wild yam I have heard is 'so-so' and the Indian Red Clover I was told was the same.........Maca, seeming to be an 'all inclusive' supplement seems to be the way to go. :highfive:

Hugs and lots of support to both of us!!

ETA: You were posting as I was..... lol..

Certainly you are not stupid, gal! Not at all....and it, like with anything, will react differently in your body than in someone elses. I'm with you, as I said in my last posting.......I prefer natural and will go that route. I don't like chemicals and synthetics at all.

You are not alone here Topaz, I'm going to give it a whirl, also. I remember on another website I was on for nutrition, there was a Vegan body builder who swore by Maca......he would open the capsules and empty the powder into his smoothie......he swore by the results of the 'balancing' powers of it , if you will.

Nope, we two shall take the journey.......I'm with you....

*off to look for sites to order from*
    Last edited by Gumball; January 20th, 2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Combined posts into ETA.

Length
    18"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by stefafra View Post
    I hope not to sound rude, but what is your definition of "man made chemicals"?
    If a chemical is made by a plant it can be as dangerous as any chemical made in a lab, some of the most lethal poisons are made by moulds and fungi, and are perfectly "natural".
    You should be extremely cautious in using any chemical, man made or natural, that has not been tested properly, especially if it is supposed to have an effect on your hormones regulation.
    Plant extract can be wonderful but the amounts of active components in the extract can vary enormously from batch to batch, and so can the effects, side effects and interactions with other chemicals in your body.
    Yes, Stefafra, you are right there are lots of 'natural' and lethal substances out there.....

I never, ever take anything without tons of research on my part and checking the best that I can. In my case, the Premarin (which used to be made of Pregnant Mare Urine) was completely out of the question for that very reason.......to keep mares pregnant for their urine. locked in stalls at all times, let them deliver, then send the foals to slaughter was unacceptable to be, at all costs. Once they stopped that abhorrent pracatice, they started making Premarin synthetically........that has been shown to lead to various female related cancers and osteoporisis, as is softens the bones. Not an option for me either. :

So, if it means toughing it out naturally with nothing, nothing, nothing.....then so be it. A co worker of mine did just that and is fine. She just upped her calcium and Vitamins D and K.

I also have no health insurance, so many medications and Dr's visits are not in my budget.

My acid reflux meds were going to cost me 900.00 per month......I couldn't do that on a single mom budget, so I found an awesome, alternative to that pill. Much cheaper, works better, and has other health benefits associated with it.

Just sayin'.....

You were not rude, you asked a really valid question. We do that here, we are all here for each other and try to help where we can with support, information, etc.

I noticed this was your first posting.........welcome to LHC!

Length
    25.5/37.5/45.0
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Hi, LoveMyLongHair. Sorry I misunderstood.

You can order it from any number of places on-line in either the powder form or the capsules, including ordering it from the site I included in my previous message. Because I don't know yet if it will help me or not, I chose the cheapest route I could and ordered it from Amazon.com. On Amazon, I ordered the Peruvian Naturals brand Organic Maca Root, 800mg, 100 tablets for $9.99, and of course orders over $25.00 have free shipping. In my perusing so many different websites on maca root and reading tons of testimonials, I noticed that Peruvian Naturals brand was mentioned a few times by happy customers and it was on websites unrelated to Peruvian Naturals.

From what I gather, the maca root starts by upping your hormone production, and then after that it starts balancing it out to normal levels. One woman said her hormonal imbalances nearly drove her mad after first taking the maca root and she cautioned to take it easy and start slow. So I'm going to err on the side of caution and start slow with it. The recommended daily amount seems to be about 900mg, and since these tablets I'm getting are 800mg, I think I will start by cutting a tablet in half and taking one-half in the morning, and then depending on how I feel in the afternoon, either take the other half when I get home from work or wait and take the second half the next morning. Right now I'm just playing it by ear, and so I can't tell you anything definite yet.

Everything I read also stated that you need to give your body little breaks from the maca. For instance, take it for 6 days straight and skip the 7th day; or take it for a month and then skip a week. I'll try taking it for the 6 days and skipping the 7th every week.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels foods and herbs are better cures than medications. Maybe we can muddle through this menopause thing with our sanity at least a little bit intact

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I have started using Maca powder in my smoothies, when I make them. I can't really make any claims about hair growth, it's too early to tell. Though on the label , it claims that Maca has been used by Peruvian cultures for endurance, energy, mental clarity, fertility, and sexual ability. Also for stress reduction, hormonal balance and to promote the growth of healthy hair, bones, teeth and muscle tone. It was recommended on Dr. OZ for libido. That's my two cents,