Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to cut?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Time to cut?

So, frankly, my ends feel like crap. My hair is nice and soft but when i get to my ends my fingers 'catch' and don't slide down the ends. They are dry, crunchy and gross. So lets fface it, is it time to trim? I'm sooo close to bsl, in fact I might be teetering on the edge now, but cutting would bring me back an inch. Any remedies? Ideas?Or should I give in... Thanks

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Time to cut?

Try clarifying first. Sometimes it's the stuff (oil residue, conditioner, etc) on your hair that is dried out, not your hair. If that doesn't work - and try it at least twice - then yes, it's time to trim.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It is less traumatic to trim a little bit at a time. Say a quarter inch every couple of months until all the damaged hair is trimmed off than to trim it all off at once. That way you can trim your hair and keep it too.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Length
    -APL/BSL/WAIST
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Barniie View Post
    So, frankly, my ends feel like crap. My hair is nice and soft but when i get to my ends my fingers 'catch' and don't slide down the ends. They are dry, crunchy and gross. So lets fface it, is it time to trim? I'm sooo close to bsl, in fact I might be teetering on the edge now, but cutting would bring me back an inch. Any remedies? Ideas?Or should I give in... Thanks
    I am a firm believer it's more important to have healthy hair than it is to have linger hair mainly because dry dead damaged hair look and feels bad and doesn't grow well. See Nightshades article on damaged hair it will blow your mind! You have to start with healthy hair or else the splits will travel up your length and the longer you wait the more you'll have to cut off!! Sooo look at my albums - I went from APL super damaged hair to super healthy hair in a year...and I am still at APL! But now I can start 2011 with healthy hair and hopefully get to BSL in that next year! Good Luck and BTW, I love bolanagse, too hahaha!!!
    My goal is to reach WAIST by 12/12/12
    This pic is my starting point on 11/11/11

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Listen to Spidermom. She speaks the truth.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Think of it this way- if you trim the inch off in February you'll gain the inch back.

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Also? Dry, crunchy and gross can be an indication of protein overload. Clarify then moisturize thoroughly with a product that doesn't have any protein or coconut oil in it, then decide if you need a trim.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Quote Originally Posted by misstwist View Post
    Also? Dry, crunchy and gross can be an indication of protein overload. Clarify then moisturize thoroughly with a product that doesn't have any protein or coconut oil in it, then decide if you need a trim.

Definitely try to manage protein before you decide to trim!

Length
    waist/TB/long

If you clarify and that doesn't help, then I think you need a good trim. If it were me I'd trim off an inch at least. That would prevent damage from traveling up the shaft of the hair. It's really not much; it'll be back in a month or two.

Length
    15/36/45?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I'm going to try no trims in 2011, so just trimmed off the bottom inch to give myself more of a U hem. Clarifying may be the issue, but if not, don't feel too badly, it's a new year so it's not bad to have a good start. I was just barely past BSL, but now I'm right there. The regress was worth it.