Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short hairs on the hairline that just won't grow

Default Short hairs on the hairline that just won't grow

Does anyone else have a lot of short and fine hair on the hairline? I have a lot of those. Some are so short that they are only an inch surrounding my entire hairline from forehead to nape of the neck. There are also a lot on my front hairline that reaches slightly below my cheekbones. They have been there for as long as I remember, and I have never cut them.
    The rest of my hair is currently classic length, even though I have let it grow below my hips. Why is the hair on my forehead so short? I don't do any heat styling, coloring, or even use a lot of styling products.
    The hair is especially annoying because I like having all my hair off my face. I do a lot of ponytails and other "clean hairline" updos, and I thought that might have been the problem, but I tried leaving my hair down for a year, and they didn't grow either.
    Thank you so much!

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Short hairs on the hairline that just won't grow

It's just hair with a short terminal length. I suppose it's what couldn't decide if it wanted to be fine baby hair or tough grown up hair and ended up somewhere inbetween. I have the same but mine is about two inches long. It's also curlier than my hair and likes to stick up. I've got to accept that a bit or hairsray applied from my palms or some aloe gel is needed if I must look sleek.

I expect it's finer than the rest of your hair too. Most people's is.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    2"/27"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I have the same thing, and they tend to frizz out and curl into little horns at my temples! I use some conditioner/water mix to help moisturize them and just comb them down with my fingers and they usually behave. I have no idea what causes them, but what enfys said sounds right.

Yes, mine are very curly whereas the rest of my hair is straight. They can usually stay down the 3rd or 4th day after I shampoo, or if I apply oil to them. However, I really wanted to find a permanent solution to it

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aquadreamer View Post
    Yes, mine are very curly whereas the rest of my hair is straight. They can usually stay down the 3rd or 4th day after I shampoo, or if I apply oil to them. However, I really wanted to find a permanent solution to it
    I don't think there is one, short of some kind of laser removal treatment that might mess up your hairline.

Try to think of the positives like how they soften the overall look or something. It's what stops me shaving my forehead like Elizabeth I!
    Last edited by enfys; December 8th, 2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    4"/19"/30"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Ooooooo-I just posted about this too! I'm hoping mine are form pregnancy hormones though, and that they'll go away. they're annoying, aren't they?
    Started at 3" (July 2000), got to 19" (Nov 2010); Goal is 30" (ETA Dec 2012)
    19"/APL/BSL/WL

I think most people (if not everyone) have them.

I suspect that hair grows on a kind of normal distribution: the hair closer to the edges of your scalp has the shortest terminal length, and the hair in the middle of the scalp has the longest. People who are actually at terminal and have a significant taper can confirm, perhaps?

Account Closed by Member Request

Yes...mine are from sleeping on the side.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I have those, too. They are very annoying, some of them (longer ones) curl and frizz and some are so short they can't curl and just bristle. I smooth them with gel or mousse but it's one day effect if I'm lucky I'm too lazy to do it everyday, too...

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

For many people, the hair that frames the face grow much slower and has a shorter terminal length. Perhaps it's confused; after all, the fine little hairs all over your cheeks have (thank goodness) a very short TL.

My best friend's son is 12 now. He's never had his 'bangs' cut. Never. I put it in quotes because they aren't even long enough to qualify as bangs or a fringe. They simply do not grow. The rest of it- top, back, sides- needs cutting at normal interval. Go figure. He has an extremely high forehead, and my middle daughter does too. Her bangs grow slowly and are thin.