Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the salt-and-pepper (who color, or don't)

Length
    buzz/pixie/pixie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Questions for the salt-and-pepper (who color, or don't)

The norm is now to have colored hair as soon as the first gray hairs appear, with some women never stopping dying their hair even after 70, and more and more men starting to color theirs. Hair is an area that definitely doesn't resist the social obsession with youth. I was a philosophy student and am still fascinated with aesthetic normativity. I have questions both for those who color and those who made the choice to sport their gray hairs.

If you color,

1. Did you decide before having gray hairs that you were going to color?
    2. Did you ever sport your naturally salt-and-pepper hair and for how long? Are there changes in the way you perceived yourself, now and then? The way others perceived you?
    3. Do you feel social pressure to color your hair up to a certain age? Does it influence your decision?
    4. Do you feel like you're in a vicious circle where you have to keep on coloring every so often or lose your length to grow your gray?
    5. Do you plan on going back to your natural hair color and when?

If you don't color (Renegrays),

1. Did you decide before having gray hairs that you were going to keep your natural hair color?
    2. Did you ever color your hair and for how long did you keep coloring? Are there differences in the way you perceived yourself, now and then? The way others perceived you?
    3. Do you feel social pressure to color your hair up to a certain age? How do you react to it?
    4. Does having salt-and-pepper hair make you (or others) feel like you're making a statement? Are you?
    5. Do you plan on coloring your hair and when?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Questions for the salt-and-pepper (who color, or don't)

I am a personality type who does not feel or understand social pressure. I started noticing lots of white and silver hairs in my mid-40s. I asked my hair stylist at the time about coloring my gray, and she told me "It's not gray; it's silvery blonde. It's going to be stunning." So I've never colored it, except once with a Punky fantasy shade (red violet). I'll probably do that again one of these days; I still have half the jar.

I am 42 year old and have grey hair coming in through my hairline and sides. Below I have answered your questions because I choose not to colour my hair:
    [I]1. Did you decide before having gray hairs that you were going to keep your natural hair color[/I]? Yes. I prefer hair colour in its natural state.

2. Did you ever color your hair and for how long did you keep coloring? Are there differences in the way you perceived yourself, now and then? The way others perceived you? I coloured my hair in my twenties because I felt I would look more attractive. It was coloured at different points with blond highlights, dark brown, and reddish-brown. Because I felt more attractive with my hair colour different, I felt others would find me more attactive. Most people liked the blond highlights, but some preferred my hair in its natural state.

3. Do you feel social pressure to color your hair up to a certain age? How do you react to it? No. I don't feel the pressure because I am not a fan of the way colour alters grey hair. Although, my older child pressures me to colour my hair I stand my ground by stating we all age and this is how it is. I will be honest by saying that my new appearance that continually changes with the new addition of greys is a bit shocking. I am not used to this 'new' colour against my skin tone and eye colour.

4. Does having salt-and-pepper hair make you (or others) feel like you're making a statement? Are you? I am not at that point yet, but it seems as though my hair is turning white opposed to salt and pepper. I am not sure why some hair turns white right away while others turn salt and pepper.

5. Do you plan on coloring your hair and when? I plan on holding on to the melanin filled hair for as long as I can! I don't like the idea of applying chemicals to my scalp in order to change the way I look every two months. In addition, I wouldn't want grey roots. I would rather have all my hair one colour instead of having a horizontal striped appearance. It saddens me that I am loosing my hair colour, but this is a stage in life that I have to accept along with the fine lines on my face.
    Last edited by pinchbeck; December 7th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'm not really all that gray yet, but when I part my hair right there are definitely noticeable silver sparklies.

1. Did you decide before having gray hairs that you were going to keep your natural hair color? Nope. Right now I hate dying more than I hate my grays, that could still change.

2. Did you ever color your hair and for how long did you keep coloring? Are there differences in the way you perceived yourself, now and then? The way others perceived you? I started dying when I was 22ish and a friend one day suggested "lets go blonde!". I didn't end up blonde at all, but my hair lightened enough that I had a demarcation... thus starting 5 years or so of regular dying. I grew it out to chin length and got the dyed bits chopped off at some point in time. A friend's exclamation of "oh my god you have grays!" sent me straight back to the bottle.

3. Do you feel social pressure to color your hair up to a certain age? How do you react to it? No. On the rare occasion that people notice or mention it I just give a quick "I hate dying it more than I hate my grays right now" and they drop the subject.

4. Does having salt-and-pepper hair make you (or others) feel like you're making a statement? Are you? No.

5. Do you plan on coloring your hair and when? If I ever start disliking my grays more than I dislike hair dye (I hate the smell and the mess). I don't see that happening any time soon though.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I am more of salt-and-cinnamon and I dye my gray hair, together with non-gray of course.

No. It took me by surprise though premature gray runs in my family on maternal side.
    2. Did you ever sport your naturally salt-and-pepper hair and for how long? Are there changes in the way you perceived yourself, now and then? The way others perceived you?
    I didn't notice it until it got more massive. In my hair individual gray hairs are not too visible, and I also get a lot of sun-bleach in summer, so my natural color was never quite monotonous.
    I can't say about everybody but my friends and family didn't change a bit. My perception was that it's natural and the only sad thing was that I would have to commit to dye routine.

3. Do you feel social pressure to color your hair up to a certain age? Does it influence your decision?
    No I don't. I dye it because gray is not looking good in my particular hair. Gray makes my original "warm" shade look dirty and mousy. I love beautiful gray, white on black/dark, and wouldn't have minded if mine were such.
    4. Do you feel like you're in a vicious circle where you have to keep on coloring every so often or lose your length to grow your gray?
    Yes, yes, yes!

Not until I have truly massive gray when there's more white than color. Then I think it would be possible to tint and go silver I schedule it by 60-something but we'll see...

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

If you don't color (Renegrays),

1. Did you decide before having gray hairs that you were going to keep your natural hair color?

I've always done everything as close to natural as possible so I assume it is part of my personality to accept things the way they are, including my gray hair.

2. Did you ever color your hair and for how long did you keep coloring? Are there differences in the way you perceived yourself, now and then? The way others perceived you?

I've never colored my hair, I still feel like the same person I always was, and don't give a rat's patootie how someone else perceives me.

3. Do you feel social pressure to color your hair up to a certain age? How do you react to it?

No

4. Does having salt-and-pepper hair make you (or others) feel like you're making a statement? Are you?

My hair can't properly be defined as salt-and-pepper. I like to think of it as silver and gold.

No and never.
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

If you don't color

I used to henna, but the white hair came in in a block right over my temple and white hair goes orange with henna. That wasn't a good look, so I gave up hennaing. If I didn't have the large chunk of white, but just a steadily increasing number of "sprinkles" I'd probably still be hennaing.

I've hennaed my hair for most of my life, it has nothing to do with the number of white hairs I have, just that I liked the colour of henna on dark hair.
    I'm the same person as I was then.
    I don't know if there's a difference in how people perceive me, sorry.

No, because I see plenty of women my age with S&P hair round here, all styles, all lengths. And anyway, it's my hair, I do what I want with it. I've shaved it off, I've dyed it all colours of the rainbow, right now it is long and S&P

No. Although I have been told it's nice to see I'm confident enough in how I look not to feel I have to alter it by dying my hair.

No, far too much botherto do the whole lot regularly. Although I am quite keen to have rainbow colours again, so when I have more white hairs then I may have a temporary purple streak.

Type
    3a/M/ii

No. I decided to color after seeing a few grays.
    I don't think I had enough gray when I started hennaing for anyone to notice.
    I don't feel social pressure. I do think it makes me look younger.
    No. I henna because I like the way my hair looks, smells, and feels when it's hennaed, not because of anything vicious.
    Probably not. My sideburns are completely gray under the henna, and I still like the color.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    8in/bsl/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I have been coloring my hair for years. I noticed my greys about a year ago.
    I haven't grown out all of my color for long enough to really see them all but I want to! I am moving to place in my life where I want to be more myself and like the way I look. So showing off my greys is part of that.
    Nope and Nope!
    I used to but I feel like my dyed hair isn't such a far stretch from my natural color that I'll mind.
    5. Do you plan on going back to your natural hair color and when? Yes! I am am going on 2 months without henna or indigo.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Renegray

I used to dye, for years and years. Now, I don't. I cut off all the color, and I am leaving it natural. I realized I was coloring my hair, not because its what I wanted, but because it was like a pre-programed "this is what you do" robotic response to Gray hair.

I realized that coloring made it look like I was trying too hard.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!