Thread: My new Yak Horn Combs! (some qustions too)

Length
    Buzz/SL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default My new Yak Horn Combs! (some qustions too)

I've just recieved my very first horn combs and given them a good try. They are tibetan and made from Yak horn. I got them from ebay and payed $20 including postage.

I'm very pleased so far!

The wide toothed one is about 6.3" long, and 0,2" thick at its thickest. It's very dense and shiny, and feels nicely heavy too. It runs through my hair lika magic, and leaves it untangled, shiny and it never rips my strands!
    The smaller one is about as long as the detanglier, and also thinner (and therefore lighter), about 0.1". The teeth are a bit sharper on this one, so it gives my scalp a really nice massage when i run it through my hair. I plan to use this mostly for distributing oil and adding shine to my hair. It filles its purpose very well!

The pictures are with flash and wothout flash.

I googled a bit to find out how to properly care for my new combs, and it looks like regular oiling helps to keep the combs in good condition. But I also read that you should never get your horn combs wet. This bugs me a bit, because I loooove to detangle my hair in the shower when I've slathered it in conditioner. (I always use cone free condish btw).
    Do any of you use your horn combs in the shower? Should it not be ok if I wipe them dry right afterwards? Or is it not a good idea to risk it?

I'm also interested in any other tips to care for my combs. If you would like to share, that would be awesome! I plan to sew myself a nice case to put my combs in when traveling and so on. Maybe out of velvet and silk... haha, i feel like such a nerd!

Length
    Buzz/SL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: My new Yak Horn Combs! (some qustions too)

Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. I only have my cellphone to take pictures with.

And I'm also wondering why this thread doesn't show on the main page... maybe this will help.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It doesn't show for you because you've already replied to it. Now it should show again.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I use mine on wet hair but I don't use eather of them in the shower. I think of the horn as being like fingernails: they get weak when wet, then strengthen again when dry. I don't detangle in the shower so I can't really help you on that point but I have had no trouble when detangling the wet hair.

Length
    Buzz/SL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Spidermom: Aha, I didn't know that by replying in my own thread made it come off the first page. Thats never happened before... Maybe its just som type of bug.

In2wishin: So just getting them a bit damp should be ok then, if i dry them off afterwards. But if I'm to use them in the shower they will get rather soaked... Anyone else have any experience with horn combs?

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I've never taken the risk with my horn comb - instead I use a resin fine toothed comb in the shower, to comb through my conditioner. If I had a few, I'd try it with one, but I only have the one. Horn combs also smell sort of bad to me when they are wet.

Those look like really nice combs!

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by melikai View Post
    I've never taken the risk with my horn comb - instead I use a resin fine toothed comb in the shower, to comb through my conditioner. If I had a few, I'd try it with one, but I only have the one. Horn combs also smell sort of bad to me when they are wet.

Those look like really nice combs!
    That is something I never experienced with either of my Yak combs. Maybe the fact that they are more dense than buffalo or cow horns makes a difference

I can't see your pictures :/

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandriaweb View Post
    I can't see your pictures :/
    linnepinne linked them from her photo album, you can only see other's photo albums when you have 25+ posts.

I wouldn't risk getting the combs wet either, I got my horn comb slightly damp once and it didn't smell so good..
    Almost there!