Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arnica to reduce hairloss ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Arnica to reduce hairloss ?

Has anyone tried Arnica to treat hairloss?

I came across a few threads on Homeopathy forums which suggest Arnica for hairloss. http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/49406/1

I was wondering if anyone at LHC has had any experience with Arnica (internally as well as emulsion with oil). I have come to trust the opinion of folks here more than anywhere else.

Length
    17"/WL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Arnica to reduce hairloss ?

Well, I can't speak from experience using Arnica for hair loss, but I am studying homeopathy in school so perhaps I can be of some assistance here.

My understanding of homeopathy is that it doesn't just treat a particular disease or condition (i.e. Hair loss) but it treats the entire symptom picture of how one individual experiences that condition. So let's say one person experienced hair loss by suddenly losing big chunks of hair at a time, and another person had a gradual shedding that has thinned their hair over many years. Arnica taken homeopathically might work for one person's symptom set, but not the other's. They might need an entirely different remedy.

I haven't heard of using Arnica topically for hair loss... but homeopathic remedies aren't very expensive, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try it and see if it works for you. In my opinion, though, you'd probably be better off putting your money towards a good multivitamin/mineral, essential fatty acids, biotin, or sulphur supplements (MSM).

Best wishes for healthy growing!

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ~BoHemiAngel~ View Post
    Well, I can't speak from experience using Arnica for hair loss, but I am studying homeopathy in school so perhaps I can be of some assistance here.

My understanding of homeopathy is that it doesn't just treat a particular disease or condition (i.e. Hair loss) but it treats the entire symptom picture of how one individual experiences that condition. So let's say one person experienced hair loss by suddenly losing big chunks of hair at a time, and another person had a gradual shedding that has thinned their hair over many years. Arnica taken homeopathically might work for one person's symptom set, but not the other's. They might need an entirely different remedy.

I haven't heard of using Arnica topically for hair loss... but homeopathic remedies aren't very expensive, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try it and see if it works for you. In my opinion, though, you'd probably be better off putting your money towards a good multivitamin/mineral, essential fatty acids, biotin, or sulphur supplements (MSM).

Best wishes for healthy growing!
    Thanks for your suggestions ~BoHemiAngel~.

I do take multivitamins, but I don't think they have biotin in it. Is there a good biotin supplement that guys can take? Most seem to be prenatal supplements, and I am not sure if they are safe for guys.

I think the reasoning for Arnica, is that it stimulates blood flow and also acts as a vasodilator. Perhaps this causes more blood to reach the follicles ?

Since you are studying (Homeopathic) medicine, maybe you could comment on this. I am noticing some patterns in hairfall control remedies. Remedies originally meant for blood pressure, as well as those meant for BPH seem to help control hairloss. Do you also notice this pattern?

Length
    17"/WL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by keepmyhair View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions ~BoHemiAngel~.

I do take multivitamins, but I don't think they have biotin in it. Is there a good biotin supplement that guys can take? Most seem to be prenatal supplements, and I am not sure if they are safe for guys.
    Prenatal vitamins are not safe for guys if they contain any iron. Men don't need to supplement with iron, and it can be harmful if it accumulates in your body. Regarding the biotin supplement, here is the one I take, though the dose is extremely high. I have had no side effects from it, though, and I haven't found any reports of toxicity at this dose: http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=bi1

I think the reasoning for Arnica, is that it stimulates blood flow and also acts as a vasodilator. Perhaps this causes more blood to reach the follicles ?

Since you are studying (Homeopathic) medicine, maybe you could comment on this. I am noticing some patterns in hairfall control remedies. Remedies originally meant for blood pressure, as well as those meant for BPH seem to help control hairloss. Do you also notice this pattern?
    When you say hairfall control remedies, are you speaking about herbal and nutritional supplements? I haven't seen any specific correlation with supplements for BPH and high blood pressure also being used to treat hair loss, but I would definitely agree that anything that vasodilates and boosts circulation in general would potentially increase scalp circulation, as well.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ~BoHemiAngel~ View Post
    Regarding the biotin supplement, here is the one I take, though the dose is extremely high. I have had no side effects from it, though, and I haven't found any reports of toxicity at this dose: http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=bi1

When you say hairfall control remedies, are you speaking about herbal and nutritional supplements? I haven't seen any specific correlation with supplements for BPH and high blood pressure also being used to treat hair loss, but I would definitely agree that anything that vasodilates and boosts circulation in general would potentially increase scalp circulation, as well.
    Thanks for the Biotin supplement suggestion. I just got a vitamin B-12 supplement today. Will also try to locate the Biotin supplement.

About BPH and hairloss, there seems to be some correlation between high DHT levels and these medical issues. Finesteride, and Saw Palmetto are both used for controlling BPH, and are also used for controlling hairloss (though it is not clear if Saw Palmetto actually helps for hairloss).

I think I picked up the high blood pressure and hairloss connection from vasodilation, which lowers blood pressure and also helps bring more blood to the follicles.

I am making these connections from a layman point of view, so I could be totally wrong.

Length
    17"/WL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

About BPH and hairloss, there seems to be some correlation between high DHT levels and these medical issues. Finesteride, and Saw Palmetto are both used for controlling BPH, and are also used for controlling hairloss (though it is not clear if Saw Palmetto actually helps for hairloss).
    You're right- Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) inhibits the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, which stops the conversion of testosterone into the more potent dihydrotestosterone. This is thought to reduce the androgen effect at the hair follicle.

Here is a research article from a study that was done on Saw Palmetto treating hair loss, if you're interested in reading boring science stuff- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122 - but the results are encouraging for testosterone-related hair loss!

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I am using Arnica topically for hairloss right now. It's only been a couple months, so I can't say how well it's working yet.
    I figured that I have had so much luck with Arnica reducing the inflammation of bruises and sprains, that it might be good for scalp inflammation.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    I am using Arnica topically for hairloss right now. It's only been a couple months, so I can't say how well it's working yet.
    I figured that I have had so much luck with Arnica reducing the inflammation of bruises and sprains, that it might be good for scalp inflammation.
    I am also planning to try out Arnica. I think I will start with taking Arnica 30c in wet dose (with water). I will report my experience on the forum.

Wishing you luck. I hope Arnica helps you.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I am also planning to try out Arnica. I think I will start with taking Arnica 30c in wet dose (with water). I will report my experience on the forum.

Wishing you luck. I hope Arnica helps you.
    I am using arnica oil applied directly to my scalp, probably 4-5 days a week.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    I am using arnica oil applied directly to my scalp, probably 4-5 days a week.
    Hi Girlcat, how has your experience been with Arnica thus far?

1. Has it (at least slightly) reduced hairloss?
    2. Do you find the oil relaxing after you massage it (I found Bhringaraj oil to be very relaxing)

Thanks.