Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair sensitive to braiding/other ways to add interest to updos?

Length
    SL/SL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Hair sensitive to braiding/other ways to add interest to updos?

I have searched the forum but haven't found anything on braiding sensitivity. Is this an issue any other LHCers face? I tried to do a couple accent braids to accompany a bun and when I took them out I shed noticeably from those areas. Basically any time I section my hair it seems its gets agitated and sheds. Even a half up feels uncomfortable. Maybe it has something to do with the "sticky" quality of my strands (sectioning my hair in any way takes a millenia)? Even dual french braids seem to agitate the issue.

In case I am doomed to a lifetime of plain hairdos, does anyone have any suggestions to make buns more interesting, i.e. without sectioned accents?

WC - LOC - air dry - benign neglect

Length
    Pixie/TBL/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair sensitive to braiding/other ways to add interest to updos?

Mine doesn’t fall out at the root, but just breaks and disintegrates =[ no braids for me. Even updos are hard, I just leave my hair down and to avoid mechanical damage, I have gotten super conscious of any rubbing or friction
    Pixie->TBL(current)->FTL(goal)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Mechanical manipulation can cause a bit more shedding, but that's normal; just don't overmanipulate the hair by putting braids in that are too small, for instance. You should be fine! Maybe try rope twisting?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Accent twists work as well as accent braids and take almost no time. They need very little manipulation too.

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Hmmm.... are there any buns you do where you can separate a strand AFTER it's all pulled back as one? Like a cinnamon bun anchored on a ponytail, and separate a strand out of there before it all gets twisted together? It's probably not the look you're hoping for, but it may be an option.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

Length
    SL/SL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Beeboo123 View Post
    Mine doesn’t fall out at the root, but just breaks and disintegrates =[ no braids for me. Even updos are hard, I just leave my hair down and to avoid mechanical damage, I have gotten super conscious of any rubbing or friction
    Beeboo123 I'm sorry to hear that! I've thought about leaving my hair down more - Do you just keep it draped in front of you?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Mechanical manipulation can cause a bit more shedding, but that's normal; just don't overmanipulate the hair by putting braids in that are too small, for instance. You should be fine! Maybe try rope twisting?
    lapushka and Cg Maybe ropes would be better since that is just two pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Reyn127 View Post
    Hmmm.... are there any buns you do where you can separate a strand AFTER it's all pulled back as one? Like a cinnamon bun anchored on a ponytail, and separate a strand out of there before it all gets twisted together? It's probably not the look you're hoping for, but it may be an option.
    That's an interesting idea Reyn127. Maybe the added handling of the bun after its also been braided in places is what's causing the extra shed. I'll try that! With rope braids, just in case haha

Quote Originally Posted by NightSister View Post
    In case I am doomed to a lifetime of plain hairdos, does anyone have any suggestions to make buns more interesting, i.e. without sectioned accents?
    I'm not sure why your hair sheds more with braids but I also don't think you need to worry about a lifetime of plain hairdos. There are so many styles that don't involve braids, and so many hair toys, that I'm sure with time you'll find a way to spice up every style. And never forget the impact of flowers or other accents that could become your signature look.

If you desperately desire braids, could you use a false one to wrap around a bun or one that clips in? The same colour as your hair, or a fun colour, could give you what you're after but without the shedding. Just a thought.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NightSister View Post
    lapushka and Cg Maybe ropes would be better since that is just two pieces
    You can try; it's a little less manipulation, I think. At least there's that. Do you have to have accents? You could do a half up, push the front piece a little up into a pouf, and then make your bun.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/SL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

CrowningGlory I'm positively in love with battle braids/elven styles/ anything fantasy inspired with those pretty, intricate little braids. But maybe fantasy inspired hair toys can work
    Last edited by NightSister; December 30th, 2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I’m rather skeptical of braids causing hairfall. The braids should only contain hair that was going to fall anyway, which gives the illusion of increased shedding. (Despite my skepticism, I could be wrong)

Are you possibly braiding far too tightly?
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights