Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arnica to reduce hairloss ?

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Arnica to reduce hairloss ?

Quote Originally Posted by keepmyhair View Post
    I am also planning to try out Arnica. I think I will start with taking Arnica 30c in wet dose (with water). I will report my experience on the forum.

Wishing you luck. I hope Arnica helps you.
    I am using arnica oil applied directly to my scalp, probably 4-5 days a week.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17"/WL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Thanks for your suggestions ~BoHemiAngel~.

I do take multivitamins, but I don't think they have biotin in it. Is there a good biotin supplement that guys can take? Most seem to be prenatal supplements, and I am not sure if they are safe for guys.
    Prenatal vitamins are not safe for guys if they contain any iron. Men don't need to supplement with iron, and it can be harmful if it accumulates in your body. Regarding the biotin supplement, here is the one I take, though the dose is extremely high. I have had no side effects from it, though, and I haven't found any reports of toxicity at this dose: http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=bi1

I think the reasoning for Arnica, is that it stimulates blood flow and also acts as a vasodilator. Perhaps this causes more blood to reach the follicles ?

Since you are studying (Homeopathic) medicine, maybe you could comment on this. I am noticing some patterns in hairfall control remedies. Remedies originally meant for blood pressure, as well as those meant for BPH seem to help control hairloss. Do you also notice this pattern?
    When you say hairfall control remedies, are you speaking about herbal and nutritional supplements? I haven't seen any specific correlation with supplements for BPH and high blood pressure also being used to treat hair loss, but I would definitely agree that anything that vasodilates and boosts circulation in general would potentially increase scalp circulation, as well.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ~BoHemiAngel~ View Post
    Regarding the biotin supplement, here is the one I take, though the dose is extremely high. I have had no side effects from it, though, and I haven't found any reports of toxicity at this dose: http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?t1=bi1

When you say hairfall control remedies, are you speaking about herbal and nutritional supplements? I haven't seen any specific correlation with supplements for BPH and high blood pressure also being used to treat hair loss, but I would definitely agree that anything that vasodilates and boosts circulation in general would potentially increase scalp circulation, as well.
    Thanks for the Biotin supplement suggestion. I just got a vitamin B-12 supplement today. Will also try to locate the Biotin supplement.

About BPH and hairloss, there seems to be some correlation between high DHT levels and these medical issues. Finesteride, and Saw Palmetto are both used for controlling BPH, and are also used for controlling hairloss (though it is not clear if Saw Palmetto actually helps for hairloss).

I think I picked up the high blood pressure and hairloss connection from vasodilation, which lowers blood pressure and also helps bring more blood to the follicles.

I am making these connections from a layman point of view, so I could be totally wrong.

Type
    1c/F/i

I think we need to distinguish between companies selling "homeopathic remedies" (that may not contain the advertised ingredients) and homeopathy as a discipline. Clearly, these are not the same thing. The points at which homeopathy blurs with herbalism, and was aligned with historical medical practices in various cultures, and the wares of the local apothecary in previous ages, makes wholescale promotion or dismissal very difficult.

Although the discipline has been traced back to Samuel Hahnemann (1780ish), it is only much more recently that it emerged as distinct from established medical practice and herbalism, respectively. I think it is more properly viewed as a select sub-set or standardized compilation of other practices, and not a genuine discipline. I'm not sure whether it "works" or not can, therefore, be independently established. That said: if the reasoning for arnica is increased blood flow (capillary dilation), bayberry will also do this, and any of the warming herbs - cinnamon, cayenne, etc. - as well as caffeine.

I can't find anything in any of my herbal books to suggest that arnica has special properties for hair - BUT, direct, personal evidence is the best guide, and I'll be interested to hear how this goes. No one would have thought Monistat would be a hair growth aid, either, but some people have had good success with it - like I said, personal experience is the best guide. Subscribing to thread ....
    Last edited by dropinthebucket; November 26th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    I am using arnica oil applied directly to my scalp, probably 4-5 days a week.
    Hi Girlcat, how has your experience been with Arnica thus far?

1. Has it (at least slightly) reduced hairloss?
    2. Do you find the oil relaxing after you massage it (I found Bhringaraj oil to be very relaxing)

Thanks.

Length
    17"/WL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

About BPH and hairloss, there seems to be some correlation between high DHT levels and these medical issues. Finesteride, and Saw Palmetto are both used for controlling BPH, and are also used for controlling hairloss (though it is not clear if Saw Palmetto actually helps for hairloss).
    You're right- Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) inhibits the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, which stops the conversion of testosterone into the more potent dihydrotestosterone. This is thought to reduce the androgen effect at the hair follicle.

Here is a research article from a study that was done on Saw Palmetto treating hair loss, if you're interested in reading boring science stuff- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122 - but the results are encouraging for testosterone-related hair loss!

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ~BoHemiAngel~ View Post
    You're right- Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) inhibits the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, which stops the conversion of testosterone into the more potent dihydrotestosterone. This is thought to reduce the androgen effect at the hair follicle.

Here is a research article from a study that was done on Saw Palmetto treating hair loss, if you're interested in reading boring science stuff- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122 - but the results are encouraging for testosterone-related hair loss!
    Hi ~BoHemiAngel~, Does Saw Palmetto have to be taken in capsule form? Can it be taken in Homeopathic form, which I believe is known as Sabal Serulata?

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hi Girlcat, how has your experience been with Arnica thus far?

1. Has it (at least slightly) reduced hairloss?
    2. Do you find the oil relaxing after you massage it (I found Bhringaraj oil to be very relaxing)

Thanks.
    One of the uses of bhringraj is to promote good sleep, treat headaches and relax you. I wouldn't assume that because one oil has a certain effect then others will do the same.

I have a bottle of aswini hair oil which includes arnica, i've only used it once or twice though so i can't say if it helped growth or not.

For androgen induced hair loss you need to be looking at saw palmetto as has been suggested, also nettle root, green tea but i would add MSM. It is thought that MSM helps to lengthen the anagen phase of the hair growth cycle. As the DHT attaches to where the hair is produced and over time reduces the anagen phase until it stops growing this may help. Circulation stimulation is thought to help "flush" away the DHT from the follicle so i would also focus on that.

Anti androgen drugs also help but have some quite serious side effects that might not be worth keeping your hair for.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    1a/F/i

There seems to be quite a few links on a google search right now regarding Arnica and from what I have read one forum in particular is very positive on the idea.

It is under a homeopathy discussion.

Some people swear by alternative therapies anyway because conventional ones simply haven't worked, so they shouldn't be dismissed so readily.

Length
    17/24/36
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Interesting how some write off homeopathy so easily - naysayers exist in all walks of life.

That said, you cant knock it til you try it OP, IMO. It may work for you substatially better than others who havent had as much success.