Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not like your hair down?

Length
    2-3"/9-10"/<20"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Not like your hair down?

Anyone else here not really like the way their hair looks down?

I dunno, I think it is just my hair type to look bleh when down. I have hair that looks mostly straight, but there is just enough of a disoriented wave in there (1c type) to look odd, and not lay nicely. Also my hair always tends to separate into "sections", and gets staticky.

Lots of times I feel like if it were super straight or more nicely waved (or curly!) then it would look gorgeous. Its just that in-between look that ugh, just to me does not look attractive. So, I just tend to wear it up all the time.

Default Re: Not like your hair down?

I have worn my hair up for most of my life...but I really like it down when it is straight.

Length
    17.5"/18.5"/37
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I think a lot of us go through that stage at one time or another. I know I sure did. At one time I couldn't stand my texture either. Sometimes, though, a change in your routine (like trying CO or shampoo bars or ACV or something) can help in a way you don't expect, or maybe you'll just like it better as it gets longer. That's what happened to me--I didn't love my texture until it got to about APL. Now I really like to wear it down.

In the meantime, though, you can try changing it up by rag curling, plopping (you'd be surprised what plopping can do to slightly wavy hair), or wrapping to change up the shape. The more you work with it, the more you'll like it, I think.

Have fun!!

Lady Ilmatar, Keeper of the Magical Menagerie, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    13"/16"/24"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I'm a little bit of the opposite and prefer my hair down! I have wurly hair so that might be why.
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I like my hair better up at the moment so that I'm not checking to see if it's even and symmetrical...haven't trimmed in a while and it shows. but I want more length before I get it trimmed.

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

My hair is pin straight, but it is very fine, like yours, and I have 2 problems when I wear my hair down. First of all, my hair does tend to separate and look piece-y shortly after it's brushed, whether it's freshly washed or ready for a wash.

I used to really dislike that about my hair until a hairstylist of mine pointed out that it has its own unique look and he actually used product in some peoples' hair to achieve that piece-y look. After giving it a lot of thought, I finally began to accept that aspect of my hair.

My second problem is that my hair is so fine that the tips of my hair often want to get trapped in the weaving of my clothing, even fine cotton t-shirts. So that means that I have to toss my hair every so often if I'm wearing it down.

Having said all of that, I do like wearing my hair down when I want to feel attractive. I do wear my hair up most of the time, but I like to wear it down when I go out for an evening.

I think it just took me a while to love my hair just the way it is.

Maybe you'll see the true beauty of your own hair one day too.

Length
    16"/17"/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think I have similar hair to you, Nenwing. If I just let it air dry, it's bleh. Usually when I want to wear it down I braid it or bun it overnight to create a pretty, even texture. Luckily it has enough natural wave to hold a curl very well, even if it doesn't like to create nice waves on its own.

Lady Eirene of the Finely-Woven Cloth
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    2-3"/9-10"/<20"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Thank you for the replies!

YesitsReal, yeah who knows maybe I will like it better as it gets longer. Its been about 10 years since it was long (bsl), so I kind of forget what it was like. Right now my hair is at about shoulder, or a little below, plus it does have some odd looking layers in the back growing out, and they make almost a zigzag look, so that doesn't help!

FrannyG, that is true, people do try to achieve that piecey look sometimes.
    I keep trying to make myself happy with what I have (its been a struggle over the years), lol sometimes I wish what nature gave me was like super pretty stunning hair, instead of blah brown hair with an odd thing going on!

Eh well, maybe I will try that plop thing to see what happens. I did at one point years ago manage to get it to look truly wavy by scrunching it up and putting some stuff in to help it stay.

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

It is okay down, but I would rather hide it up for sure. Otherwise I start obsessing about how the ends look. They like to piece together and they are layered so they look thinner than I want and then I just.........argh. I put it back up!
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    18/22.5/36+
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I am with you. I have a single wave in my hair and I don't know if it's a wave or just from where my ponytail is, but I don't like the way it looks so I keep it up. My hair is stick straight when it's really long, though, so hopefully it's just a matter of time!
    ...All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.