Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red bumps on scalp andn thinning hair

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Red bumps on scalp andn thinning hair

Hey all,
    I have a few red dots on my scalp and the hair appears to be thinning a little around there. The area is very dry and itchy. I am not sure what is going on. I'm trying to upload some pictures but my camera isn't acting right.
    I have no known scalp conditions, my hair is just normal to dry, and I seldom shampoo but I've been doing this for years.

No clue.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Red bumps on scalp andn thinning hair

I'd get to a trichologist (hair doctor) pronto and see what's going on.

I will go see a doctor if necessary but I wanted to see if anyone else knew what this was or had a similar experience. I took this with my phone. I don't know if you can see the redness but they almost look like pimples without the head.

Length
    waist/hip/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I actually had a very similar experience last winter, and it was what led me to LHC. Anyway, I don't know if it was just dryness or what, but ACV rinses seemed to help. That spot is still a little, um, different looking on my head, but I have been doing ACV rinses once a week, and more recently I've been putting some oil (just olive, because that's what I've got in the kitchen...) just on that one spot, and it is feeling and looking much better, and I've got lots of little baby hairs popping up there, too . I hope that's of some help to you.

I don't mean scare you or anything. If you're more vigilant than I was about taking care of it, I'm sure it won't take that long to clear up. I had just gotten so used to ignoring my hair and scalp, and having them treat me right anyway, I didn't know what to do when I first noticed there was a problem.

Anyway, I will be lurking on this thread, because I would be interested to see if anyone has a better idea than I do about what the actual cause is, as it is still kind of mysterious to me.

Good luck to you!

Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

I have something pretty similar around my temples/front hairline. Some times I think the thinning areas are due to me scratching it in irritation Mine seems to be provoked by “pushing” face wash into the hairline

No advice for your situation here, sorry. Just some sympathy

I just had a thought. This is the section that gets tugged a bit while I'm braiding. Can that cause the irritation? Sometimes my braid moves and I feel it pull that area. Maybe my braid is too tight?

Length
    waist/hip/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Speckla View Post
    I just had a thought. This is the section that gets tugged a bit while I'm braiding. Can that cause the irritation? Sometimes my braid moves and I feel it pull that area. Maybe my braid is too tight?
    Could be. Where on your scalp is it? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Like Igor, mine was in my hairline, right where bangs would be if I had them, so I think mine might have had something to do with that spot getting washed along with my face, as well. I was really surprised when I saw it because I've always kind of kept myself mentally prepared for my dreads to cause some scalp issues, but the spot where it happened has never dreaded at all - I guess because that hair is really fine and fragile to begin with, and really only grows to about chin length. So for me at least, it definitely wasn't from updos pulling on it.

See where some scalp is showing in the picture? The towards the left side. I wish I could upload a better picture. My camera is not acting right and my phone doesn't take very good pictures. I had a few pictures with a closer view and you could see the red spots.

Length
    CL/CL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Itchy? Is there any fluid leeking from it? (Nasty questions, I`m sorry...) It could be a scalp condition I have bumped into. I am sorry I don`t know the name in english, I promise I will try to google it. But it appears on my scalp from time to time, and I had to go to the doctor to get a ointment for it that made it disappear pretty fast. After I discovered ACV rinses, it seems to handle it well. My last "breakout" on my right temple disapperad within a coupple of days. I did also see some thinning in the area, but it came from the scratching because it was itching like crazy. I am not shore why it appears, but I tend to have sensitive skin and allergy, and get small rashes from some types of washing powder or perfume. Hopefully it won`t happen to often now that I have changed my hair routine towards as natural and "clean" as possible.

I really hope it could be to some help for you. If I were you I would get it checked out if ACV does not help you. It might be something witch is easy to handle with the right remedy.
    My journey from APL til BSL
    (Please do not wear fur, I have seen horrible things)

i get this from time to time, then it goes away again. My doctor thinks it happens either when my yeast overgrowth is out of control again. I notice it used to happen when I was eating wheat/ gluten a lot more... same with dairy. the worse thing you can do is scratch them open, which I;m sure you already know! when i get them, i dilute tea tree oil and massage it in, and try to ignore that they are there. i was also using this saw palmetto itchy scalp gel with aloe, which also helped a lot.. usually in a week or two they dry up and are gone. ACV works for me in the beginning, but then makes the problem worse. If you do have some sort of issue with yeast, like a mild allergy, which is common, the raw unfiltered ACV will make it worse, as it contains yeast of its own. I believe that the non raw kind is fine though, although some of the good properties are gone. If it starts to spread, or sticks around longer than a week or two, I'd get it looked at. Hope you feel better soon!