Thread: Can you use Herbal powders & then shampoo/condition hair?

Default Can you use Herbal powders & then shampoo/condition hair?

So I tried the Aritha & Shikakai powder mixed with Chammoline tea & warm water yesterday to wash my hair, I made it into a tea (with the powder and water). Before that I applied Amla Oil overnight.

The Hesh Aritha & Shikakai powder did not wash my hair properly, my hair was still left greasy with still some oil left in it. I used 3 table spoons. Im quite dissapointed with the results.

Is there something im doing wrong here? the powders don't foam up much so its hard to wash hair, there were tiny beads when I applied the tea on my wet hair.

So I thought, is it possible to use Aritha & Shikaki powder and then use normal shampoo and conditioner to rinse out the powder? so that way my hair is getting benefit from the herbs but also the hair is being washed properly with normal shampoo.

Im just worried about one thing, do you think using the powders, the conventional shampoo all at once while washing my hair would be too much and actually cause more damage?
    Last edited by Dreamkitty; November 17th, 2010 at 05:40 AM.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Can you use Herbal powders & then shampoo/condition hair?

Herbs do not leave your hair feeling like shampoo does as they do not strip the oil out. It takes a couple weeks of using them to transition. To shampoo and condition will just wash out any benefit you have gotton from the herbs - think of putting make up on your face and then washing it right back off.

I would make a thick tea if the shiakaki an amla and apply it to my scalp only, using either catnip tea or conditioner on the length of my hair. Let that soak in for 20 minutes then rinse. That way I got my scalp clean without stripping the ends and gave the herbs time to to thier job. Good luck with what ever you try.
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Thank you Kdaniel811 for your response.

I was so annoyed with my the powder when I realised my hair still had most of the oil left in. Even with 3 tablespoons, my hair was greasy and because of that took long to dry as well. Maybe I shouldn't put any oil on and see what happens. Im going to try doing what you said. Can I just bath my hair in the herbs or do I have to massage my scalp as well?

There is one positive thing that I have experienced with Aritha and Shikakai, I didn't shed that much hair and today woke up in the morning with only 4 hair strands in my brush. It also feels good know when you are washing the powder off, knowing that you washed your hair naturally without any chemicals.

I started to use shikakai and amla and aritha about two months after I stopped using shampoo, so it was plenty cleansing for me compared to other no 'poo methods. So I cannot comment on your transitioning experience--you might need to adjust a bit.

kdaniels8811 is right that you'll have to get used to your hair feeling different when it's wet if you are not using shampoo. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING leaves my hair in the slippery, squeaky clean state that shampoo created. Not that I miss it. My hair feels like wet fiberglass right after I wash it, but it's all worth it because it feels so much better after it's dry.

As for your poor cleansing results, try next time without pre-oiling. If you used conditioner the wash before your herbal wash, you probably have enough buildup to protect your hair from the herbal action, good or bad. So give your hair a chance to breathe, don't pre-oil heavily, and see if it's still not cleansing. I almost never pre-oil when I use herbs, and everything works for me.

Thanks for the advice bumblebums. It makes sense now because I thought these herbs were supposed to produce the sqeaky clean results that shampoo does, so if I didn't know this, I would have carried on thinking It was a waste of my money and got myself really frustrated everytime I washed.

To be fair, I always oil quite heavily, even when there is oil in my hair, I still oil just that bit more. When it came to my last wash, I had oil in my hair. I washed with shampoo and conditioner, this resulted in my hair feeling sticky as well as greasy. So I had this buildup of "oil" and "conditioner".

So then for my next wash (which was yesterda)I just used a mixture of Aritha & Shikaki with chammoline tea, so I guess it had alot to clean, not just the oil but the conditioner too. Can I just why does it say on the herbal packets, that it cleanses an oily scalp?

Also is it safe to alternate between washing my hair with shampoo & conditioner one day and then for the next wash use Aritha and Shikakai?