Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caffeine for hairgrowth

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Hmm, i will try this also! It's hard to find out one is making the right concentration. Say I'm going to be useing coffee (because it is readily avaliable). How do I know i'm useing the right concentration? I won't!

Like it doesn't state the percentage of caffiene in the coffee does it!?
    If it does. For example, if coffee is 10% caffiene, 100g would be 10g caffiene.
    Then I would need to dilute that in how much water? 150ml? To get 0.15% solution? I'm not great at maths!

So confused! I don't want to halt growth!!!! I could see myself applying it to the scalp even after a wash, as I use herbs and I leave a light coating of sebum on my head...just because it makes my hair soft. That would help it stay a bit less gunky of it is drying. Even I can see myself applying the night before a wash if I find it leaves my hair gritty feeling.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Um...I found some interesting quotes
    http://www.querycat.com/faq/2bcf68b0...a052ef2c95cf04
    " The caffeine complex strengthens existing yet weakened hairs or hair roots. It is not a hair growth tonic. Caffeine from coffee is not able to penetrate the scalp or the hair follicle."
    -but i'm going to try anyway- because they are trying to sell their shampoo. Can't hurt too much

We have some nescafe lying around i think....
    it stated
    http://www.nestle.com.au/Products/FA...+Questions.htm
    "One serve of MILO ( 25g MILO with 250ml of milk) contains approximately 15mg caffeine. A cup of instant coffee ( a rounded teaspoon ) contains approximately 60-70mg of caffeine. "
    on this site. I stuck in the Milo part for kicks

So how much water and coffee do i need to make a 0.15% concentration of caffeine. (caffeine is such a hard word to spell- what happened to the "I" before "E" except after "C" rule huh?)
    instant coffee- a rounded teaspoon
    caffeine- 65mg average per rounded teaspoon
    Water- ?
    concentration- 0.15% caffeine

Um...How many grams is a rounded teaspoon? 3 grams apparently.
    Ok... (sorry i have to spell this out for it to make some sence to me)
    so per 3 grams of coffee there is 65mg of caffeine.
    1 milligram = 0.001 grams
    so in 3 grams of coffee there is .065g of caffeine?
    That means that
    x 2 is .13- pretty close!!!
    so about 6 tsp of coffee in how much water? none? i suppose it doesnt matter how much water you add because as it evapourates it will leave the right concentration yeh? so long as it is not less then .05 or more then .15 ish then it is ok yeh? I'm confused
    What if one used EVOO, AO or CO to disperse the coffee then it would evapourate but may be absorbed a bit?

I'm so confused. I'm thinking of putting in other herbs known for stimulating the circulation and stopping hair fall as well
    Last edited by tiny_teesha; June 6th, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Hmmm stronger haa. How are you supposed to use it as a rinse or in condit or what?

Length
    24/18/40/TB

Well i've now done 3 coffee/catnip/condish treatments, so far so good. My scalp usually is a bit itchy the day after i do it, other than that not much happening... i do see a kind of brown/grey haze around my scalp so i'm hoping that means my stupid hair is growing.

Right now i'm doing (i dont know if anyone cares):

about 1/2 cup of hot water
    1 teaspoon dried catnip (heaping)
    1 teaspoon coffee (level)
    letting it sit for about an hour in my excellent mug for keeping the cats out of it : http://www.teaforte.com/store/tea-ac...amic/cafe-cup/ (i cover the hole with a little piece of saran wrap to keep all the moisture in) edit -- sorry if this isnt allowed on the boards, please feel free to take it out if its not.

then i let it cool and strain strain strain to get all the icky grounds out and hopefully keep any residue out, mix 2 tablespoons of the mix to 2 tablespoons of condish then i dilute with water until i can get it all through my hair then rub it into my scalp let it sit for about 1 hour and wash as usual.

I'm just hoping the coffee wont have an affect on the catnips anti-split end properties.

edit #2 : my hair has been wonderfully soft and shiny, i havent noticed any darkening, i'll try and snap some pictures of how much it darkens the conditioner, it kind of goes from a pale purpe to a lovely caramel color. I'm hoping it wont make my hair brown since i'm aiming for hawt firey red.
    Last edited by chelly; June 7th, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default caffeine

chelly

Of course people here care - I do for one.

A suggestion - use a level teaspoon of catnip not a heaping teaspoon to 275 ml of water - steep it first, covered - separately - then add what you need of it to the other ingredients - the rest will keep in the fridge for up to a week.

You are making it too strong - it will better for your scalp and more conditioning for your hair the way I suggest.
    Last edited by ktani; June 7th, 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added text

Length
    24/18/40/TB

ktani - thank you :]

Separating ingredients seems so brilliant you would think that would have crossed my mind >.<

I keep trying to follow your guidelines but every time i try to come on here to look them up i get the "server is too busy" message and i never think about it unless I need it lol :[ So I try to go off of memory, and noticed last time I checked that I was indeed overdoing it; on that note off I go to print them off!

Default caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    ChloeDharma

Thank you - you are very kind.

To answer your question - I went back to the pdf complete version of the study you posted.

".... caffeine alone led to a significant stimulation of hair follicle growth.
    [left]Caffeine .... identified as a stimulator of human hair growth in vitro .... may have important clinical impact in the management of AGA."
    http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...2.2007.03119.x

This tells me that caffeine can stimulate hair growth period - at least clinically.

However - experimentation here, will through reported results, be the real test, IMO.

ETA: I have seen the caffeine pills in local variey stores and drugstores.

There is also this from the pdf

".... caffeine, dose-response experiments showed .... concentration of 0.15&#37; was stimulatory .... concentrations of 0.05% and 0.01% showed suppression. .... high concentrations .... regarded as toxic, an effect which can be observed in many substances. High concentrations may cause an over-stimulation of hair follicle metabolism resulting in .... exhaustion of the proliferation capability and finally lack of hair shaft elongation."
    http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...2.2007.03119.x

I definitely think less is more with this one - I suggest reading both the pdf and the caffeine pill labels on dosage very carefully - caution is advised.
    chelly

Read the pdf and then try to get how much caffeine is in coffee per tsp. Too much caffeine defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do - too little not enough.

I had to chop up the text to avoid copyright issues. ETA: Go right to the end - "In conclusion" and in the begining under "Abstract" where these numbers are ".... was counteracted by caffeine in concentrations of 0.001% and 0.005%.
    Last edited by ktani; June 7th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.

Default caffeine

Length
    24/18/40/TB

Okay i looked at several website to find out how much caffeine was in an average cup of coffee and it had a fairly wide range so i just averaged

Cup of coffee 120mg caffeine/ 8oz cup o joe

120/8 =
    15mg/ per liq oz
    2mg = 1 ml
    1 ml = 0.0338140227 oz
    15x0.0338140227 = .5072103405 ml of caffeine per liq oz
    So the adverage cup of coffee contains 4.057682724 ml of caffeine

8 ounces = 236.5882378 milliliters

sooooo

4.057682724 / 236.5882378 = 1.7150821874036546038300133955349 &#37; per cup of coffee

1 ounce contains 0.5072103405 ml caffeine / 29.573529725 ml liquid

.51ml caffeine per 30 ml liquid 1.7% caaafffeeeeeine

dilute to 30 ml of coffee per 300 ml of liquid to achieve .17% dilution

I am absolutely TERRIBLE at math so this may be way way way off but I did my best

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Caffeine for hairgrowth

Green tea rinse is naturally caffeinated and might have similar effects.