Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day?

Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day?

I also think it's to much biotin. So why not combine biotin with MSM and silicium/silica (best is to find a product with Silicic acid, it is the chemical componant that your body will take up more easily.)

Good luck!

Length
    short/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I take 10,000 mcg per day. In 5 mg doses ~ 12 hours apart. My objective was reduced fallout. Adding one pill daily helped. Adding the 2nd helped more. Adding a 3rd didn't. So I stabilized at 2 capsules per day.

Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    Thats waaaaaaaaaay too much. Im not sure the exact amount, but I don't think your body is able to absorb that much per day. You might be flushing out what could be saved for another day.
    That's what I'm thinking, IME 5000mcg was no more effective than the 2000mcg I was taking previously.

Length
    Pixie/APL/35"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I second the advice to look at what you're already taking or not taking. Extra biotin won't make up for a deficiency that exists elsewhere in your diet. When in doubt, protein and water seem to be what really helps my growth.

Also, not all hair routines work for everyone. Some people may get amazing results with no cones, but some people desperately need them. Some are okay with shampoo, others prefer conditioner-only washes. Just because you've been doing one routine for 5 years doesn't mean it's the right one. Sometimes just mixing it up can do wonders.
    Goals: Ponytail | French Braids | 1 French Braid | English Braid | Bun
    Ultimate Goal Length: Hip

I take 12,000 (split up to 3x per day) for a year or so. And my hair growth has gone from less them 1.5" in 6 months to just over 4" in 6 months!!
    No advirse affects, though I do get some acne...concidence??

Biotin is water soluable so you pee out what you don't use. With a larger amount like that I personally suggest splitting up the pills so you take them at different times through out the day.
    Last edited by redneckprincess; November 14th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Yes, I take mine in two doses per day as well.

But I didn't just start out at 10,000 right off the bat, either. I started out gradually with a dose of 2500 mcgs, and saw no change over several months.....I stepped it up in increments, until I saw the results I was looking for. I take other daily supplements as well, and eat a healthy balanced diet, but none of them affected my hair growth or my shed rate as this has.

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

i used to tak big doses but it broke out my previously clear skin which really peeved me quite a bit so I stopped taking it for a long time
    im starting up again at 5,000 mcg a day
    i heard that taking vitamin b with it helps deter the acne... has anyone proved this yet?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    BSL/Clasi/KNEES
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shakethatbelly View Post
    i used to tak big doses but it broke out my previously clear skin which really peeved me quite a bit so I stopped taking it for a long time
    im starting up again at 5,000 mcg a day
    i heard that taking vitamin b with it helps deter the acne... has anyone proved this yet?
    yeah is prone to acne... read the whole article.. this is everything about biotin info:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/biotin

Well it's been five years since I first made this post, and I'm happy to report my hair looks much better. I think my problem had been protein deficiency, as I'm a vegetarian. I started taking protein supplements. I actually get complements on my hair now!

Now the problem is eyebrows. Five years ago I had great eyebrows but they have really thinned out, possibly due to surgically-induced menopause and/or aging. Any tips for thickening those up?

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    Well it's been five years since I first made this post, and I'm happy to report my hair looks much better. I think my problem had been protein deficiency, as I'm a vegetarian. I started taking protein supplements. I actually get complements on my hair now!

Now the problem is eyebrows. Five years ago I had great eyebrows but they have really thinned out, possibly due to surgically-induced menopause and/or aging. Any tips for thickening those up?
    You could try putting castor oil on them. Many people reported thickening if they applied castor oil daily on them.
    I used it on my eyelashes and they seem to be thicker and stronger